Why We Need An Extra Game Speed For Competitive AoE2 DE

For those who are unaware, the Age of Empires 2: HD Edition, where many of the casual players play, runs at a slower speed than the original version of Age of Empires 2 which the professional and competitive community still play at (using the Wololo Kingdoms mod).

In order to help unite the community, and bring both the casual and hardcore players over to AoE2: Definitive Edition, I think we need a speed in-between ‘normal’ and ‘fast’ that goes at the speed of Wololo Kingdoms/the original version’s normal speed and we can keep ‘normal’ at the HD Edition normal speed. Who agrees?

P.S. We could even rename the game speeds to ‘slow’, ‘casual’, ‘hardcore’ and ‘turbo’.

7 Likes

I agree there needs to be the speed from Voobly otherwise the it will fracture the community from the start.

At least it is one of those things that should be easy to implement.

2 Likes

So you mean speed settings like this?

I see no need for the fifth option.

More like this:

1.0 (slow).
1.5 (casual).
1.7 (hardcore).
2.0 (turbo).

1 Like

I was more thinking about some of the older generation who play this game and who could find 1.0 too slow and 1.5 too fast. Don’t think that I will move up to 1.7 nor 2.0 unless it’s DM.

Well, that wouldn’t hurt … but it’s not as important.

The key reason I’m bringing up including the competitive game speed as well as the casual one is so that the competitive and casual community of AoE2, that is currently split between Steam and Voobly, can be united.

2 Likes

I prefer Voobly. no matter what.

1 Like

AoE2 DE won’t be playable on Voobly.

I don’t care. Voobly is more competitive.

Well, you’re on the wrong thread then.

no. just I prefer the correct name, I’m mostly single player, this setting as you suggest can affect the name of single player too.

This thread is regarding AoE2 DE. It doesn’t affect the name of anything.

B
1.0 (slow).
1.5 (casual).
1.7 (hardcore).
2.0 (turbo).

So you don’t mind ifvI want a better names…

The names don’t matter. The important point is that we need both a game speed for competitive players and for casual players. The normal game speed on the HD edition is too slow for the competitive players but the normal game speed on Voobly is too fast for the HD players.

3 Likes

I always use the + and - keys to control my game speed. If I need more time to micro I can slow things down a bit. Of course only with AI skirmish battles on hardest. The good things is that later you can finish off even faster.

1 Like

This thread is about multiplayer, though. I’m talking about the fact that there are people who play online on HD and people who play online on Voobly. The HD community is more casual and the Voobly community is more competitive/hardcore. HD multiplayer runs at a slower gamespeed than Voobly multiplayer does. The best way to unite the community is for AoE2 DE to have an option for both the HD multiplayer normal game speed and the Voobly multiplayer normal game speed. If we don’t have an option for Voobly speed as well then AoE2 DE will be less competitive.

The normal game speed is actually the same in single player. I’m talking about multiplayer here.

When playing online through HD the normal game speed is about 1.5 times normal speed. When playing online through Voobly the normal game speed is about 1.7 times normal speed. If both game speeds are not allowed in AoE2 DE multiplayer then the community will be less united than if both are.

1 Like

I get your point. I would suggest to change the plus and minus key to one tenth. From 1.0 up to 2.0 you get eleven possible playing speeds and add the possibility for a modder to configure the default speed for his mod.

Now that we know they’re adding an extra difficulty level … maybe they really will add an extra game speed as well! We can only hope! I just hope they add the right speed. The important thing is that we at least get both the HD and Voobly normal speed.

It can be playable in Voobly. AoE2 DE got LAN support so with a patch it is possible.

1 Like

Speed should in my opinion affect resource gathering while units walk or run at a reasonable pace neither slow nor too fast, so 1.7 seems good to me.

1 Like