Will there be any updates to the Age of Empires rendering engine?

Back on March 26, 2013, Peter Freese of Hidden Path Entertainment posted a dev blog on the Age of Empires website for Age of Empires II: HD Edition entitled, “Age of Empires II: HD - Developer’s Diaries, Part 2”. In the developer blog Peter discussed that he worked on updating the rendering engine in Age of Empires 2. In the photos of the blog post were screenshots of how the terrain was made to look much more natural in Age of Empires II: HD Edition than the original release of Age of Empires II.

Age of Empires II terrain:

Age of Empires II HD Edition terrain:

Does Forgotten Empires plan on making any improvements to the rendering engine to the original Age of Empires like Hidden Path Entertainment did with Age of Empires II? Based on the initial screenshots released to promote Age of Empires: Definitive Edition it looks like no changes to the rendering engine have been made yet.

Maybe after reading comments like yours, they could consider doing the same like they did with aoe2 HD. But ofc, I think that going to happen while the game is running in it’s beta.

Again referencing Andy P’s earlier post:

https://forums.ageofempires.com/discussion/365/what-we-know/p1

The animations in the original game were rendered at varying framerates between 10 and 20fps. The animations in DE are all rendered at 30fps.Things like scrolling, UI interactions, Mouse movements, etc are not capped at 30fps. That’s the just rate at which animation frames are changed. You get a high level of smoothness when the fps reaches or exceeds 2x the animation playback rate.

Think more smooth but terrain texture changes, I doubt it.

@DiveDive3726 said:
Again referencing Andy P’s earlier post:

https://forums.ageofempires.com/discussion/365/what-we-know/p1

The animations in the original game were rendered at varying framerates between 10 and 20fps. The animations in DE are all rendered at 30fps.Things like scrolling, UI interactions, Mouse movements, etc are not capped at 30fps. That’s the just rate at which animation frames are changed. You get a high level of smoothness when the fps reaches or exceeds 2x the animation playback rate.

Think more smooth but terrain texture changes, I doubt it.

Thanks for the reply, DiveDive, but I’m not asking about animations.

A gameplay reason perhaps insofar that height means nothing in AOK (as far as I remember- what a ■■■■ Aok was) but in ROR units on a higher elevation do more damage on those on a lower so is important.

ROR was the better game to AOK.

@“Mystic Taboo” said:
A gameplay reason perhaps insofar that height means nothing in AOK (as far as I remember- what a turd Aok was) but in ROR units on a higher elevation do more damage on those on a lower so is important.

Age of Empires II has elevation attack bonus as well.

@rhrmn said:

@“Mystic Taboo” said:
A gameplay reason perhaps insofar that height means nothing in AOK (as far as I remember- what a turd Aok was) but in ROR units on a higher elevation do more damage on those on a lower so is important.

I stand corrected. The game was such a turd with the symmetrical maps that there was little variation to make the terrain important,

Yes, might not be in the beta build until the last one until launch, but rumor has it yes, sources are varies gaming review sites on youtube, that the team is working on it, and no this is not breaking NDA, bc Devs have stated on video that its being worked on, in preview videos. Source:(PC Gamer)

@“Mystic Taboo” said:

@rhrmn said:

@“Mystic Taboo” said:

I stand corrected. The game was such a turd with the symmetrical maps that there was little variation to make the terrain important,

Lol this guy. Not sure if troll or has just never actually played Aok.

@LordMiguel said:

@“Mystic Taboo” said:

@rhrmn said:

@“Mystic Taboo” said:

Lol this guy. Not sure if troll or has just never actually played Aok.

I’m 1700+ on AOK but hills are much, much rarer on the maps I play on than in ROR. AOK was a poor follow up to ROR but that’s my opinion

@rhrmn said:
Back on March 26, 2013, Peter Freese of Hidden Path Entertainment posted a dev blog on the Age of Empires website for Age of Empires II: HD Edition entitled, “Age of Empires II: HD - Developer’s Diaries, Part 2”. In the developer blog Peter discussed that he worked on updating the rendering engine in Age of Empires 2. In the photos of the blog post were screenshots of how the terrain was made to look much more natural in Age of Empires II: HD Edition than the original release of Age of Empires II.

Does Forgotten Empires plan on making any improvements to the rendering engine to the original Age of Empires like Hidden Path Entertainment did with Age of Empires II? Based on the initial screenshots released to promote Age of Empires: Definitive Edition it looks like no changes to the rendering engine have been made yet.

Sorry didn’t quote you. With the damage bonuses with ROR important to visually display the variations with height. AOK was a step down.

No need to improve graphics. Please improve AI.

They most definitely will to make the game smoother than the original.

Maybe it’s too early for that? Maybe the team has chosen to leave the game like this to have a better performance (because of the old engine). I think only time will respond, or the developers of course! Haha

I think that being beta is not yet changed, but I hope they change the terrain in the final game.

@rhrmn said:

oh Yes!

The game’s looking good so far.
I’m more concern about new content, what about new expansions?

Its very possible that there will be some updates

my guess would be maybe

I really hope so.