Will they do the same with age of empires 2 and 3?

I would love to see the other 2 renditions of this form. Age of empires 2 is beautiful and more if they put it in 4k

AOE2 they have already done a rerelease on Steam. AOE2HD and it’s expansions. It’s visuals haven’t been changed in the same way as AOE DE, but you can mod in new visuals.

I’m not sure AOE3 needs such an update, and I’d rather they turn their attention to something new, after AOE DE.

aoe2 look fine the way it is imo, and age3 still looks beautiful after this many years as well, they really did a great job with the art work for that game. Aoe1 really need this visual boost and some interface changes to make it more playable, dumb villagers really ruined it for me after aoe2 came out and spoiled me on villagers doing things after their original task is complete. The art work is very dated as well, also I think they are doing aoe1 again because they are going to announce an entirely new aoe game in august.

AoE2:HD is a huge success in terms of sales so it makes no sense for them to release yet another version of aoe2. If they’re going to update the aoe2 graphics they will do it as a xpack of sorts for AoE2:HD I’m sure.

As for AoE3 that game is much more complex to rerelease because of it’s more advanced graphics and systems compared to the other age games. It could be done but it will be more expensive and I’m not sure MS thinks it is worth it seeing as it is not considered a classic in the same way the other games are.

I agree that AOE2 does not need another remaster. It’s good as it is. Also I think AOE3 is already sharp enough that a remaster would bring too little improvement. Yeah, after DE the only logical thing is to make a new game from scratch or to stop and just keep expanding the existing ones.

I think we are more likely to see a remaster of AoM than either AoE2/3
As an achievement hunter though I would like to see AoE 2 & 3 come to the windows store :smiley:

With regards to AOE2, the HD addition currently available on Steam has many of the features AOE:DE will be getting and the development of it hasn’t finished yet either. If DE is getting 4K support then I imagine that AOE2:HD will too at some point.

With regards to AOE3, I find it unlikely that anything will happen with it. It’s currently still very good and arguably doesn’t need touching… It would be hard to improve it further. For more thoughts on this, check out this thread: https://forums.ageofempires.com/discussion/607/so-is-the-remaking-of-old-aoe-a-clue-for-aoe-4#latest I wrote a fairly in-depth post there and the topic is also quite interesting.

@Otani64 said:
I agree that AOE2 does not need another remaster. It’s good as it is. Also I think AOE3 is already sharp enough that a remaster would bring too little improvement. Yeah, after DE the only logical thing is to make a new game from scratch or to stop and just keep expanding the existing ones.

Or release an offline version of AoE:O. While it is not my favorite AoE game I sure miss that little gem

@Interjection said:
With regards to AOE2, the HD addition currently available on Steam has many of the features AOE:DE will be getting and the development of it hasn’t finished yet either. If DE is getting 4K support then I imagine that AOE2:HD will too at some point.

With regards to AOE3, I find it unlikely that anything will happen with it. It’s currently still very good and arguably doesn’t need touching… It would be hard to improve it further. For more thoughts on this, check out this thread: https://forums.ageofempires.com/discussion/607/so-is-the-remaking-of-old-aoe-a-clue-for-aoe-4#latest I wrote a fairly in-depth post there and the topic is also quite interesting.

The thing is the engineers for AoE 2 HD are not very good, a different team of engineers works on AoE DE (2 former ensemble studios people), those guys can pull that off, the engineers from skybox probably cannot.

I love AOE2HD but really wish it would scale better with a 4k monitor. It is unplayable at that high a resolution and I have not been able to find a working solution to have it appear like it as on a 1080 display. Icons are just too small for my aging eyes to see and click on. I think if a patch or expansion could be made I would pay a few dollars for it. Don’t need to change to graphics just make the icons and menus scale properly.

i prefer the 2… and age of mythology!

@“Sky Maniac” said:
As an achievement hunter though I would like to see AoE 2 & 3 come to the windows store :smiley:

A remaster of AoM has already been made, titled the Extended Edition. So far one expansion for it has been released, the Tale of the Dragon. It hasn’t been received very well, though.

@Eaglemut said:

@“Sky Maniac” said:

A remaster of AoM has already been made, titled the Extended Edition. So far one expansion for it has been released, the Tale of the Dragon. It hasn’t been received very well, though.

ahh fair enough, I’m not a fan of AoM so didn’t know this.