Woad Raiders are totally useless. Please buff

I know that we’re talking about Woad Riders here, so I apologize, but ever since Lithuanians came I feel a deep sadness inside because Celts halberdier is not the fastest anymore.
5% more speed than regular civs feels really low imho.

But unlike Lithuanians, celtic halbs have all upgrades and don’t need squires because they get this speed bonus free.

1 Like

It is strange, but IMO Lithuanian Halberdiers are not very good, missing 1 melee armor and 2 attack in exchange for 10% speed. I guess they’re intended to counter camels, since Lithuanian heavy cavalry is already a great counter for opponents with heavy cavalry. Hardly detracts from the Celt identity though, since they get fully upgraded spears with 5% bonus speed. Lithuanian skirmishers are the real strength behind their speed bonus and tower shields, and complement their cavalry better. I wouldn’t be opposed to Celt Halberdiers getting another 5% speed, hitting a max of 1.2 and still not catching even Teuton Paladins (1.35). Maybe boost the champions as well, 0.9 x 120% = 1.08, just below a Dark Age Eagle or a Jaguar Warrior with Squires (both have 1.1).

You’re both true, it’s just a fixation of mine, Celts had the fastest regular infantry (no Eagles), then they were dethroned and now they have only the fastest champion. But this is a thread about Woads so I end it there.

• Wood raider is one of the few uu which has no unique skill. Keshik producing gold, mangudai has bonus againts sieges and fast firing, janissary outrange castle age units etc but wood raiders has not somekind of skill. Wood raiders are not good raiding units: Low pa, gold cost, castle need, not a good meatshild for celt sieges bcs they dont have bonus againts cavs unlike halbs. I think wood raiders need some kind of uniqueness like: New unique tech: Wood raiders can repair sieges.

i would let celts have the niche of fastest infantry in the game, by simply adding squire to their tech tree. that way, in castle age they would have +25% speed after squire, which is good to at least close the distance with archers.

on Woad Raiders, i would make them more, well, raiders, with the squire change they would be a bit faster, and this would already be decent for raids and overall performance, and on top of that i would give the unit a higher bonus against buildings to match the champion line or even a bit higher (i do not remember the exact bonus champion gets atm)

The more closed the map, the stronger the Celts

Give woad raiders anti CA attack bonus and +5% Speed (or squires for celts and civ bonus ti 10% instead of 15%) so they got a niche other than raiding

I am for: Every time a Woad kills a vill, the celts player gets 15 g.
Finally the name “Woad Raider” has a meaning then.

2 Likes

Cav archer bonus damage seems pretty useless imo

Well I already considered something similar bec of celts weakness to ca.
It would also be possible to just increase the pierce armor of woads by 1. But most likely this wouldn’t be enough to fill that gap.

1 Like

Yes Indeed… however they need a buff; not too much because celts as civs are more or less fine.
Reading this thread there are various options:
5g for kill
+1 PA
Attack bonus against CA (or some other unit)
More Speed
Cost reduction

If devs will ever do something about which do you prefer?

1 Like

I think Elite WR needs 1MA. They are worse than Champion in melee fight which is not a good sign compared to the high cost.

In melee fight, Woad Raider is slightly better than Champion. +10 hp is better than +1 MA. For instance, FU Elite Woad Raider tank 6 hit of FU Paladin while Champion tank 5 hits. Champion is only equal to Woad Raider against Light Cavalry which is 2nd lowest melee attack unit in the game.

Champion is melee power unit of Celts. Therefore, Woad Raider need different bonus instead of melee armor. +1 PA, +5g per kill are one of the good ideas.

1 Like

Woe is he who reflects to much on Unique Units. Just forget about them and try to obliterate your enemy on Feudal Age; fastest working Lumberjacks give you a huge advantage right from the start of the game.

Gee… I’m merely quoting this because I loathe abreviations. What the hel is “MA”???

Melee Armor. <20 Characters>

1 Like

melee armor

in my conclusion, -5hp and +1PA is the way to go.
+5hp is the 2nd choice

5 Likes

I’m resurrecting this thread with a new proposition, why not give Woad Raiders the same bonus as Shrivamsha Riders? Perhaps decreasing a bit the number of “avoided” arrows and the ability’s cooldown

4 Likes

30+% faster movement speed.

Its hard to play with celts and they’re a resurgence civ I agree but if you ever get to post imp elite woad, you can easily surround foot archers.

Ya, costing 15 more resources than Obuch makes no sense. Should have a cost of 50 food 25 gold. Also in general I think Franks castle discount and strongholds should be swapped. So that Celts get a castle discount and Franks get faster firing castles as their unique tech (or just remove that unique tech from the game completely) In general all less than 2 p.armor infantry unique units need some sort of cost reduction.

4 Likes

even if its a fair idea, a lot of people are against the mechanic, if people are already complaining about shivs, not sure they’ll be happy with yet another unit with similar mechanics

i think this works. 2PA so they are more of a raider.

Because this is a super niche case, and nobody should be making generic champs into woads, nevermind that the champs are significantly cheaper, and produced faster (at that stage due to multiple rax) meaning the champ numbers should always be higher, or it is “a low elo argument” rofl the irony

2 Likes