Wonders are ruining team games

Every single team game is just who builds a wonder first, ive gotten back into the game recently, and every single game Ive played has been dictated around who gets the wonder first. Some maps are impossible to push on, it also doesnt help that the sacred sites are always so cursed, on mountain pass all of them usually spawning on the enemy side, black forest for some reason completely removing them. The nerf to siege, which was obviously needed, has somewhat indirectly buffed wonders as its significantly harder to push choke points now, I dont see how wonders can ever be a balanced option in this game, perhaps they should cost significantly more resources, especially on 4v4, or preferably just get rid of them from matchmaking. I understand the “just rush” response, but this usually isnt viable when playing with randoms, and on a game with elo matchmaking obviously its almost never going to work out just rushing on your own. Imo wonders need to go, but im interested to hear counter points.

3 Likes

Hi @Kronos8982,

i have a Thread nearly about the same issue. You can find it here:

I agree that the actual wonders mechanic isn’t fun to play especially in team games. We should change the effect of wonders, change the mechanic of wonders or make it more difficult to have a wonder an defend them.

Best regards
NTL

1 Like

Other than just rush, I can’t think of a satisfactory argument. Maybe, just rush with your premade team on voice chat while guzzling caffeine.

I wouldn’t mind wonders being akin to those in Rise of Nations, in which they were constructed to receive some kind of bonus, like a final expensive investment for each Civ if the game is going on really long. For Delhi, it could be a step up from the Saltan’s Palace, making all applicable upgrades improve Tower Elephants.

2 Likes

Honestly this is totally right. Wonders right now are way too cheap. The price needs to be scaled according to the amount of players in game.

1 Like

like Ive been saying. Wonders ruin team games 100%. not even funny now

2 Likes

100% agree with this

1 Like

3 out of 5 team games ended in wonder victory today
the 2 that didnt was because the other team left in the 1st min or so because a player droped.

This is just a joke at this point

2 Likes

I can see where people are coming from. i don’t play much team games but today i decided to play a couple (played 4). None went to wonder victories as my team rushed (none were mongols) and didn’t allow eco from the opposite teams. Maaaybe play more aggressive and don’t let it get to imperial?

1 Like

But yes wonders are why i don’t like team games

Wonders as a condition of victory seems right to me. Maybe increase time/resource by map size. It is a way to have a “finisher” of games.

i can see the point of them, that they are to prevent people from just sitting back and games lasting 100 hours, but yea raise the timer for 3v3 4v4 and maybe make them more expensive? But as I referred to earlier, don’t let your opponents get that far. Constant pressure…don’t play for the long game, etc

1 Like

Esta es la verdad para la mayoría de los partidos de mi equipo. Sólo pierdo contra una Maravilla cuando mi equipo no tiene nada que me ayude antes de los veinte minutos… ya que he estado intentando luchar desde los 6 minutos.

Entiendo que cada uno tiene sus preferencias, y que cada uno tiene que aprender a su ritmo, por eso no acoso a mis compañeros sobre cómo están jugando, pero a veces se hace difícil escucharles quejarse de la Maravilla cuando lo único que teníamos que hacer era defender los Sitios Sagrados que yo había tomado en la primera parte de la partida.

1 Like

20 characters minimum

Unless it’s Mountain Pass all day in your town, the enemy team funneling resources to one ally should make them easier to rush and crush.

i really tried to like it and waited for a long time to see what is what but it is just been a waste of money and of a new computer tbh. The way it is played in team games is just really unattractive unless you are in a group and do this same wonder strat 24/7.

I mean how often are wonders built in Aoe2 and aoe3? Like never.

1 Like

The design makes going for a wonder favorable, especially with the useless dark age (which I believe should be removed from this game if they don’t make it worthwhile), and the absulutely insane defender’s advantage on some maps with siege and all.

I never went for or thought about a game ending in wonder victory in other Age games, there were too many other viable ways to end it.

I can only speak from my own experience, maybe its the region or something (I’m from NZ so usually the lobby is half Aus/NZ half Chinese) but my team, nor the enemy ever rushes, like maybe you’ll have the odd French player raid with Knights, but that’s usually about it. I’ve tried rushing various times, Maa push with the HRE on castle usually, sometimes it’s possible to weaken an eneny, odd time take one out, but in the time it takes the other players on the other team not building the wonder can just gang up on me, therefore putting me behind as well. I understand having a cooridanted team would make it easy to rush and win, but I doubt the majority of team game players play like this. I like playing tg as a casual thing to do, while leaving 1v1 as my competitive experience, so yeah it’s really putting me off having every 4v4 as a wonder game.

1 Like

Tell me about it. These complaints are going on deaf ears for months now.
I left the game for a week and return to play my first game in a team game. What you know…another wonder game. Left after one game. Play for fun is slowly being replaced over time with more and more people jumping to wonder rush now as it is a safer means of victory

1 Like

Wonders just dont have any place in a team game. Even if 3x the cost and 2x timer mabe on some maps. even then prob not

The answer is play custom game and disable wonder victory

1 Like