Would like your help settling an argument

where did you get this conclusion ?

You can resign if you cannot accept it. I just saw a funny 4v4 game, one guy was lagging but all other people resigned. The lag guy is the winner and he got his elo. Its a legit victory because the winner did nothing wrong. People are free to resign if they don’t want to continue.

Thanks, I might recover it eventually, but I’ll take a break for a while.

Spies is a tech designed for players to be able to hunt down the last few villagers of a player who has lost but won’t resign. It’s really hard to judge if you are griefing or not based of this “discussion”. If you can post a link to a game that you won like this it would really help decide this one way or another.

Disagree. Before the Burgundian Vineyards change, sometimes players can actually afford spy when enemy still got many villagers, but the player who researched spy will not get a guaranteed win .
Also, a player refused to resign doesn’t mean he want to grief. In some low elo games, smurfers collected huge amount of gold for spy but the other side didn’t realized the defeat until their base got raided

The literal main reason for spies is for players to hunt down enemy villagers once if the player is hiding vils in the corner. That, and also for regicide games, to reveal the king location.

2 Likes

Funny how this is viewed as griefing, cause this is standard extreme AI behaviour when it doesn’t resign as fast as usual.
Some games we had to hunt down AI villagers through the whole map (obviously it was ALWAYS when host selected huge maps) for literally half an hour after AI town was completely destroyed. The 105 taunt obviously didn’t work.

I’m starting to think that everything people don’t like is lately labeled as “toxic”, “griefing” or with some other derogatory term.

3 Likes

The AI does that because it’s just an AI and isn’t smart enough to realise when it lost, I don’t think it should be a quideline for what players should do :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes I do. He just keep sending waves and I would kill a good bit of it then move on while the next wave came.

Players should just play the game trying to win if it’s ranked, anything else is just forcing some people preferences to other people.
I consider stealing boars very bad and I’m never going to do it, but that’s just me, pro players and a lot of players consider it a good strategy, and do it regularly to win. We’re not talking about walling in ALLIED resources or TC or hiding vills in the corner and going afk here. I believe OP tactic is legit within game parameters, as much as is legit to fight with vills in dark age or to build a TC (with Persians) in range of enemy TC.

If one plays ranked he/she should try his/her best to win, if the opponent doesn’t have time for a long game, his/her problem honestly, or just implement some time limiter for ranked games like in some card games like mtg.

1 Like

How would someone not be able to afford spies? If they’ve won most of the map and destroyed the opponent’s town then they should have the relics. Spies becomes very cheap when there are only a few villagers alive, and if there are many vills alive then I can understand a comeback potential.

Hiding villagers with no intention of winning via actual military conquest is not a legit victory. The only purpose of relocating should be to re-boom and make a proper comeback with a new army and eco. The enemy will be able to afford Spies eventually if you’re just turtling but it’s much quicker and cheaper to just scout the whole map and ram down your walls.

I’d say in ethical terms, hiding your last few villagers when you know the game is lost is as bad as walling in enemy resources or laming huntables.

5 Likes

The question is why people do this things if they know they lost.
It must be some kind of childish “revenge”.

I think we as community have made a great unspoken agreement of not wasting each others time. And it’s nice most people honor that agreement. Ofc there always will be the obstinatives.

But in the end they punish mostly themselves by wasting their own lifetime.

4 Likes

I won’t justify every time people do this, but there are cases where its understandable. I’ve even hidden or walled villagers a couple times myself.

One I remember was when the opponent got a few villager kills with a Scout rush, thought they had won the game in Feudal and starting spamming chat telling me to resign then cursing me out when I stayed in the game more than 15 mins. If someone is going to be toxic and impatient then they can search for my remaining villagers and ram down 10 layers of stone wall to kill each one. There are plenty of things to do in real life while my PC runs, and the time delay may have saved some other player from having to deal with this individual.

Edit: I’ve also been on the other side of this one. I never offend anyone in chat, but I think they were salty that I dropped a Persian TC on them. That one ended in spies and War Elephants tracking down the last few hiding villagers :rofl:

4 Likes

“Eight athletes were running a race. One runner smelled so bad that the other seven quit the race. The smelly athlete won and got his medal. It is a legit running victory because he did nothing wrong. People are free to quit the race.”

It may be a technical win, but it’s not much of a victory, however. It is precisely for this reason that showers and the benchmark test were invented.

2 Likes

What’s missing in the discussion, is that the attacker could perhaps make more effort to win.
Hiding vill or such is just poor play, but relocating and re-booming is fine. If the other person thinks you should resign, he should be able to force that on you. If I read this guy sends wave after wave and the defender escapes to build elsewhere, take map control and prevent the escape.

I’ve been holding on in lost games and forcing the enemy from important resources (stone and gold) and got his base castled in. I returned from pretty much underdog to victor by killing all his vils, where the other had nearly killed me but didn’t finish all the vills and allowed me to re-boom.

The call for resign is not from a single point of view, nor from a time saving point of view. The game is played for fun, not for quick victories. If you want to win quick, make sure the enemy has no option but to resign and make it his/her choise, not yours.

3 Likes

There are so many wrong with this.

1. Is it really a victory for u, when u win because your enemy dcs(probably due to the bad state of the game?)
  2. U get clapped so hard and u think it’s a good idea to gain elo to get clapped even harder?
  3. Better give up earlier and use this extra time to analyze your games or play another one.

I don’t know your elo but if i read this i’m 100% sure that you are way too far away from being anywhere near gaining any money from this game. So better stop this crap and get better before you annoy people with this bs.

2 Likes

Why do you let you being prvoked that easy? Man it’s so obvious this guy is just trying to provoke.

Man, develop a thick skin otherwise it will get hard for you out there.

I doubt that he is just trying to provoke. There are obviously player like that out there. It’s not like you have never encountered sb like him.

So why not have a chat with these people and show them at least that what they are doing is not right?

Because they don’t think in our realm of correctness.
With letting them provoke you you just give them the supply they are aiming for.

Provocation is part of the anarchical hierarchical dominance play we learn to lay down in our childhood. But we forgot how to treat it. If you are in position of dominance you should just ignore it, that way you cement your position of dominance. As you showcase the provoker he isn’t worth your time.

They don’t really provoke me, even if it maybe looks that way…i also don’t think it’s necessarily provoking what he is doing.

Yes, it might me possible…but maybe it’s just his view of the game.

1 Like

Yes it is, people have goal(s) in ranked games, either elo or win rate. I am approaching the goal when I win games. I know I will be unhappy when I get disconnected or lose a game which is not caused by my fault. On the other hand, I will accept the easy win when enemy got disconnected or quit early.

Yes, I think so. it is a long story but I will try to make it short. I have encountered many people who usually give up early. Some of them resigned after they lost 1 villagers or got lamed. In 4v4 TG, the whole team resigned after 1 guy got disconnected, the funny thing is that sometimes its the enemy got disconnected but my team resigned right after. These guys shouldnt played ranked because they don’t care about winning. The people who are playing only for fun should play unranked instead. I hate these kind of people so I don’t want to be one of them. Maybe you think I am trying hard, actually I just don’t want to give up easily.

No, I can’t get advantage in every game. I used to idle villagers, forget to build house, forget to age up, but I managed to stay and won the games.