Xbox live profile link Error

so the scan pulled up 4 unwanted programs as threats
PUP.Optional.BundleInstaller
PUP.Optional.GameHack
PUP.Optional.InstallGameCore (this one came up twice.)

I dont know what these are but quarantined and deleted them.

i tried again and i still got the error but this time the sign in at least came up on its own.

Which browser is currently set as default browser?
(Settings -> Apps -> Default Apps)

Do you by any chance have (Oracle) Java Runtime Environment installed on your system?

Below Settings -> Privacy -> Applications you can check if and what apps are allowed to access your account on your system. Could you check if access to account details is allowed for apps on your device. Although itā€™s probably not related to this problem.

Could you also check Add/Remove programs and post a screenshot of all installed VC++ libs.

Last but not least I managed to simulate this error using loading MSHTA with some defect javascript. On that I based my advise to run an additional scan.

You did completely reinstall the game from Steam already, so it would not have use to check the integrity of the installed binaries.

This also might be some kind of code page or wrong charset issue. Something goes wrong interpreting the embedded javascript. So your problem could be related to missing VC++ libs too.

So my default browser is edge (through i normally use chrome). I looked in my programs and i have java installed but not one named that. Iā€™ve also attached my VC++ files.

I have another scan going too.

The weird part to me is that as soon as i linked my steam account to xbox account it started showing AOE 2 HD in my recent games on my xbox account which i also got on steam but never did anything to sign in like im trying to do for AOE:DE

the scan didnt come up with anything.

Thatā€™s good and also proof of the fact that your MS and Steam accounts got linked.

What is the exact name of the Java software thingy installed on your system?

Also did you also try it with a brand new created user account on your computer?

it just says java 8 update 151 in my programs list.
and no i havent i didnt know if that would change anything.

If you donā€™t use local apps or webapps that require it to be installed locally or develop any kind of Java apps (applets) yourself then you are better off removing it.

But what was detected by Malwarebytes wasnā€™t actually too much of an issue.

Could you find the Xbox Companion-console app and right click it and choose app settings. There you can reset it (end it first). After that restart it and check what is does now, maybe you can sign in correctly now.

well i removed the java app, went into the companion console and terminated it then reset it. restarted age of empires and sign in came up automatically but still got the script errorā€¦ im not sure whats blocking itā€¦even the sign in screen says UI suppressed down at the bottom.

Sometimes just a user profile folder got damaged or something got stuck inside it. So you still could try the create new user option. If that works you only need to move your data and configure some settings again. Time for a little nap now. Also when installing any game through Steam or before updating it launch the Steam client as administrator. Although it should be requested it just doesnā€™t happen in certain configurations and over protective antivirus products. But also when certain Windows or VC++ binaries need to be updates.

I tried opening steam as administrator and didnā€™t do anything. Later today ill try to make a new user profile for my computer and see if that works.

Good news! i made a new MS account and used that account to sign into my computer and load up the game and the sign in worked. It let me enter in my MS account info (not the new one i was currently signed into but my normal one) and my account connected perfectly fine. However, it still doesnt work when i sign into my computer with my normal MS account.

So what do i do let it work with my normal account?

Okay, now we are getting somewhere. What I would do is save all important folders and data below your not-working MS account. After that use the new account to completely delete the non-working MS account from your computer. After that restart your computer and check the C:\Users folder using the new MS account for any remainders of the non-working MS account profile and delete them. It should only show your new MS account (and possible other accounts added). After that you can add your non-working MS account again as new user and a fresh profile will be created on next sign in.

Actually you didnā€™t have to create a new MS account. In the add new user account screen there is an option to add a local non MS-account connected user although they try to hide that option very well. After creation of the old fashioned user account you always can connect it to any MS account. But anyway you got it done the other way. Just always make sure the account you add is administrator and not a standard user. But after installation tasks you can set it back to regular user or use dedicated administrator account for installation and update tasks.

1 Like

so it wouldnt work with a local account. but i saved what i wanted and deleted the account off my computer and then readded it. everything seems to be working now and i got into the game under my xbox account and its auto signed in now when i load it up again.

thank you so much for sticking with me and helping me out this has gone on a while now and i really appreciate the help!

3 Likes

Iā€™m having all the same errors with AOE2 and now 3. I have done everything you have said but it still gives me the script error when trying to log in. Iā€™m wondering what I missed in the steps you took and if Iā€™m pooched now for all Xbox live games on PC.

Iā€™m having the exact same problem. His and your steps have not worked for me.
Itā€™s affecting AOE2 and 3 and Iā€™m now scared to buy the new HALO collection or anything else using XBL on Steam.
Iā€™m wondering if there is something I havenā€™t done that wasnā€™t listed here.

So Iā€™m having the identical problem, is there anything else you did?

Hi, welcome here. Did you already create a new local administrative user account, save all contents of your old (MS-connected) profile folder below C:\Users and then delete that account and after reboot connect it again to your new local administrator account?

Alternative is after saving all important personal data first through the new local administrator account and then to delete all the old profile folder(s) using Profile button below System Properties (right click ā€˜This PCā€™ on your desktop and choose properties, in left pane click Advanced system properties or search using Cortana). After that reboot and sign in again with your MS-account, the profile should be recreated.

If there is any error while deleting a profile you will need to check manually in C:\Users what is still left of it. And of course also check for malware on your system using Malwarebytes tool e.gā€¦

I can remember in the past there were also some issues with certain Xbox account names and the use of certain special characters and some people had not set their name on the Xbox PC profile page.

So check all your MS account settings too for any missing required data and check all the privacy settings.
https://account.xbox.com
https://account.microsoft.com

If this is regarding a Xbox Live for PC subscription. Iā€™m not even sure if you can use that with Steam client. As far as I know itā€™s only meant for use on PC through MS Store.