Xbox One Controller

Can I use my xbox one controller for AOE DE

No

1 Like

Nope. How would an RTS even work on a controller? Use a KB+M instead.

2 Likes

Even RTS games that are “meant” to be played with a controller (Halo Wars 1, Starcraft 64) can become frustrating very quickly. I wouldn’t count on it.

I do like having an Xbox controller for some PC games though, and they’re great for (legal) emulation.

@TestableWharf54 said:
Even RTS games that are “meant” to be played with a controller (Halo Wars 1, Starcraft 64) can become frustrating very quickly. I wouldn’t count on it.

I do like having an Xbox controller for some PC games though, and they’re great for (legal) emulation.

i would politely disagree a metric buttload of pc gamers use xbox one controllers for their games, while I may be biased as i do also play xbox one. well to be more specific i bought the computer I’m using specifically for one game(yes ensemble i love AOE that much), it would be possible to write a program to translate your controller commands into ones your pc would give from your keyboard or mouse because all you need is left and right click, up, down,left and right and of course maybe like 4 or 5 hotkeys and your golden personally all id need is rudimentary control and id be good. however, it would be wise of ensemble to make this an in-game feature I mean the game is on Windows 10 only and xbox controllers are compatible with windows 10

As others have mentioned, def use a M&K whenever possible for an RTS. I have both Halo Wars games, and several other console based RTS, for which I also have a PC copy of the same game, and M&K always make the games much more enjoyable, plus provide you with far more options.

Why would you even want to use a controller for an RTS? :S

1 Like

that was done with aoe 2 port on the ps2, though it was exhausting and irritating, but atleast it was one of those ps2 games that supported keyboard and mouse

though, im still confused on why microsoft ported one of their first party games onto the hardware of their main rival

I found one program that allows you to manually assign the controllers buttons/joystick to mouse/keyboard commands:
https://www.rewasd.com/

This is what you needed?

1 Like

How it would work? Easy. Directional buttons for the mouse and several buttons for simulating left and right click and/or opening menus.

Of course you won’t be having hotkeys.

That said, Red Alert 1 was brought out for Play Station 1 and was controlled by the game pad. So RTS definitely can work on a controller. But is it comfortable? Nope.