Yeomen: Allows creation of Longbowmen at Town Center

I think you are overreacting. Devs are making many balance changes in order to give UU more usability (Geonese crossbowman, Gbetho, Cataphract). Make the OP UU more expensive or slow to train. Maybe you can build 5 archery ranges but you must to have the eco to train Mangudais from all of them.

1 Like

Are you trying to show the proposed change is too big?

Because if so, I’m not convinced. The Kamandaran change and khmer farming were very big changes.

No, I wasn’t trying to side with anyone. In fact, I think it’s a good discussion. I was hoping to bring a bit of grounding to everyone’s postulations. It’s easy to get lost in one’s own world.

I’m surprised copy pasting the whole page in the forum is so easy

2 Likes

These forums rock :metal:

1 Like

Is there any gameplay footage of the new DLC on Youtube/Twitch?

you don’t need 5, even 2 range production would be overpowered af, you’ll easily get 20 in castle age and then have a unit that can trade easily with xbows, kite camels and knights and punk mangonels. 45 by imp and you can’t beat it ever, trebs dead, halb ram countered, skirms hussar’d

3 Likes

yes they are. but nothing like "lets make them all available at the stables/barracks/archery range.

and if they are too expensive they won’t see use. so what would you do with the cost of the mangudai?

1 Like

I hope will be the next step 8P

Of course yes, if the situation worth it they will use despite of the cost, but if you have to take stone (it is slow) build a castle (slow) an then start to train and some cases make some upgrades… none UU is really usefull for situacional context. Just those that are meta, like Mangudais…
Mangudai too OP? Make it cost 75W 75G and TT 38 seg. It is cost but it worth in almost any situation.
Vils you use to take stone yo.use.for Wood and Gold…

I hope will be the next step 8P

Many UU’s completely crush classical units. Ranked games would become a rock-paper-scissor festival.

Age of Mythology followed this “rock-paper-scissor” approach, and it didn’t end very well. That’s why Age 2 is still King.

Something that would be really interesting is to have more Feudal Age units, but I think we’ll only see that in Age of Empires IV.

and now mongols got an insane unit that many want nerfed as is, available straight from the onset of castle age, and can easily be massed. yes even at 38 seconds. GG balance is wrecked while they sort out all the civs.

no thanks. leave stuff alone.

1 Like

AoE saga is based on rock-papper-scissors… Almost all RTS are based on it.

I would say AoM isn’t completely “all UU”. For instance Ulfsark and Hoplites are different units, but they have the same role of being mainline infantry units with an edge against cavalry.
However AoE2 is a different game and making all UUs worse for the sake of making them more spammable would be so bad.

Then 42 seg…
Look, it is like eagle scout… its TT in feudal is 60 sec… but Eagle Warrior 35. Why is this? Because it is OP in feudal. This is the same… Set TT for ■■■■■■■ Mangudai in 45/50 and 35 for Elite. Problem solved

Yes, but the idea is to have civs which can compete with each other reasonably. Some UU’s would be extremely OP as mainstream units in Castle Age.

Age of Mythology had some match-ups which were completely biased, among other flaws.

Well the deal is, in castle and imperial age you have quite a better eco than in feudal age, so while a meso player can’t just spam more barracks to produce eagle scouts faster, a mongol one could definitely spam archery ranges for mangudai.

1 Like

except there is no problem as is, you’re oh so great idea is literally causing cascading other problems that have to be solved with dumb solutions like drastically increasing the cost and training time of strong units just in an effort to maintain balance. and yet instead of seeing the very clear problem in front of you, you just keep trying to throw stuff at it. your long as crap training time is easily negated by just adding a few archery ranges. if i have 2 stables i can produce 4 knights a minute. if i add more archery ranges, same thing with mangudai. the castle is a great place for the production of unique units, because it acts as a very expensive throttle on the production of those units.

and the funny thing is, you’re jumping through hoops just to balance ONE UNIT. imagine doing this for 37 civs and trying to justify it.

nah, no thanks. i’ll happily leave the game as it is now with the exception of some balance changes for Italians, Indians, and a few others.

2 Likes

I think it honestly wouldn’t be as hard as you’re making out. TT would have to be about 6x longer than it currently is for units like magudai, even longer for Magyar hussar, and between once and twice was long as currently for UU that aren’t spammed anyway like jaguars and Genoese xbows.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like the idea of removing UUs from castles

I just don’t think this whole “it’s too complicated” argument holds water.

2 Likes

This would just look ridiculous 11 And there is still the fact you remove the need for stone for UU, so you can’t deny them anymore by raiding stone. Unless you make UUs cost stone ig but that’s even worse

2 Likes

That’s the point, if you like the epicness to spam a UU from the castle, ok, But it is totally possible to balance if UU could be create in generic military buildings.