(Yucateco) Insurgentes and *when* they become musket infantry

Hey all, I have been toying around with Yucatan/Maya and it’s a lot of fun. I have noticed something that I am not sure is intentional or not.

This is specifically about trying to get Musket bonuses to insurgentes when going Yucatan/Maya, I am sure I could avoid this issue going Yucatan then back to Mexico though I haven’t tried.

I noticed some cards like Bustamante and Plan of Tuxtepec can be played before revolting to Yucatan to help musket infantry, but since when going to Maya you can’t save those for later, they don’t actually help Insurgentes since they don’t seem to apply their effects if played before Reservistas to turn my boys into Musketeers.

Same thing applies with socket bayonet at the arsenal, if researched before Reservistas, no bonus to the Insurgentes. If researched after, bonus applies.

Is this intentionally done or potentially a bug?

I’m also having trouble telling where exactly poison damage shows up in the stats for these guys when I play that card, but that might be a separate thread.

I can confirm that this is not a bug.

Can’t say if this is the intended behavior that the devs wanted, but it is expected due to the way it was implemented.

So, you’ll have to sit on all your Musket infantry upgrades until you send Reservistas for your Insurgentes to benefit from them.

Or you can use a mod to fix this, and (shameless plug-in) it just so happens that I created a mod that solves this very specific issue. Link here Reservistas Mosqueteros.

This is the same issue with Revolutionary France, which I believe it still has, where the CDBs get different effects or not depending on whether you researched the techs before or after the revolt. This is because it manually transforms the CDB into a Sansculotte using tech effects rather than transforming them into a different unit.

Instead of transforming the Insurgente into a unique unit entry like the Landwehrs or Rangers cards do, the Reservistas card just adds the type tags to the existing unit. The result is as you noticed, if you don’t send the card before anything that could be buffing them, all of those effects don’t apply to them because they don’t have musketeer or gunpowder trooper tags.

The poison does Siege damage, like an Abus gun, and with the card it looks like it adds 1 damage every second for 8 seconds.

Thanks guys, useful stuff and it makes sense.

Insurgentes also react interestingly with the Seven Laws card.

I played that card, and was getting the extra XP even after revolting to Yucatan. (10 build XP per insurgente) instead of 7). After revolting to Maya however, that bonus was gone. I know a couple of the units involved aren’t available anymore. But even Hacienda build XP was back down to normal if I read things right. It seems like a LOT of things change when you go to Maya but it is curious to me why Yucatan still gets the Seven Laws while Maya doesn’t.