Zoom level

Oh, you’ve never played AoE2:DE before? I recommend buying it and giving it a whirl. Zoom out to max zoom or just about and please report back on your findings

EDIT: Sorry, I didn’t know you were being sarcastic and actually want farther-back zoom level, too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m fairly sure he was joking/being sarcastic, quoting the AOE IV producer’s infamous ‘you can’t play the game like that’ response to repeated requests for zooming out more. The producer wants to lock the zoom level at the zoom level he likes to play the game at, and he cannot imagine others have different preferences than he has; he views it as an impossibility.

10 Likes

Ohhh, right, right. I forgot about thst. You may be correct

You are rigth, maybe i was too obvious. XD

It is obvious that i am not happy whit the aoe 4 game.

What can i do about it?

Nothing.

Afther closed beta and open beta, i feal that any feed back was dump in a trash can and game was rush out.

And the people got literaly ignored in the public stream, when they say that they will answer a few question.

The could have said " we will wait 5 minuts, to let every one write one question, and we will respond them one by one, at the best of our knowlege"

But not, they had to almost laugth at people writhing and answer what they want.

And they repeat this over and over, creating a acid stream.

2 Likes

I wonder what he thinks will happen if someone tries to play the game like that. A bolt of lightning will shoot down from the skies? The player won’t be able to control his units well enough? If that was true, wouldn’t the player simply zoom in more and keep playing? Maybe he thinks if they allow zooming out that much too many people will do that and then think the game is bad because the graphics are low res and it is too hard to control the units, when the issue was really that they zoomed out too much?

If that is the case, I think he is underestimating the intelligence of the average pc gamer. They understand things like resolution settings and adjusting game settings to suit preferences. It is kind of what differentiates PC gaming from console gaming. Flexibility and adaptability to different hardware combinations.

8 Likes

No, clearly he could imagine that. Since what he was talking about is the fact that every RTS game they have made people always want to zoom out more.

I’d love a bit more zoom. No need to misrepresent and attack people about it though.

It isn’t an attack at all or a misrepresentation. It is simply my interpretation of what his statement ‘you cannot play the game like that’ means and a possible mindset that might be behind it. He is literally saying the game CANNOT be played like that, it seems quite clear. CANNOT = impossibility.

6 Likes

You’ve managed to completely ignore all context we did have for the quote. Perhaps you never actually read the source.

When the devs say things like “RTS players always want more zoom” it’s a little annoying. I understand that zooming out to the level of AOE2 may make the game hard to play/unplayable but that is OUR decision if we want to handicap ourselves. As long as we are still bound by fog of war let us zoom as much as we want and choose for ourselves what view is comfortable? The same goes for viewing angles.

12 Likes

Has anyone ever played Ruse? With that game you could zoom out to the whole map or zoom right in on an individual unit. That is what this game should have.

2 Likes

Yeah. I wonder what will happen when zoom mods will be released. Will it be considered cheating? Will they be enabled on ranked? I am really scared what this more this producer can think of to make playing the game harder. Disgusting.

2 Likes

There already was a zoom ‘hack’ discovered in the beta version of the game and people were using it. They covered it up QUICK. For some reason they really don’t want people to be able to zoom out. AOE3 developers considered it ‘cheating’ also- I believe there were mods for zooming out in AOE3 (non DE version, the newest version of AOE 3 DE supports it natively), but they were not able to be used in online play, because it was considered cheating. I never understood this, since it is something everyone has access to, how can it be cheating? People with mechanical keyboards, larger screens and higher precision mice have an advantage, but everyone is banned from zooming out apparently.

So there you have it. Some segment of people believe the ability to zoom out is cheating. That is why it is not allowed.

6 Likes

welp the games out, and i can tell it isn’t increased at all from the beta.

sad.

devs, please add more zoom levels if you read the forums.

9 Likes

key to note that RUSE came out 10 years ago and the graphics are arguably on the same level as this game

Screenshot_72

4 Likes

That’s too bad. It really does impact my decision to buy

5 Likes

Imagine how sick it would be if we had the same Zoom level in AOE IV as in RUSE? You know, like in almost all of the trailers for AOE IV where they are way zoomed out and then you get the game (presumably- I won’t be getting it) and the zoom level is nothing like in the trailers showing ‘gameplay’? To be fair most game trailers are inaccurate and you have to watch you tube gameplay videos for the real deal.

3 Likes

There is a difference between being able to zoom out legally or illegally.

When you do it legally, you use the game mechanics and everyone can do it out of the box. When you use a mod, it means you started the game with a hidden advantage. Precision mice and mechanical keyboards are of questionable benefit, whereas being able to see the whole map gives you a huge advantage in scouting, preventing flanks and rushes. It is a skill thing.

1 Like

what bothers me most with the zoom is that its basically nonexistent. you have 6 (!) small steps, each of them angling your camera more than zooming out.
Its basically just changing the view point.

I mean, If we cant have a specific zoom feature, maybe all out zoom aka map overview (enlarged minimap) on button would be an option? I wish to see where my units are.

5 Likes

So, some people think zooming out makes the game impossible to play, others think it makes it so much better to play that it’s an unfair advantage.

Personally, I find myself generally playing RTSs zoomed out to the max. When I tried AoE 3 DE’s ludicrous zoom option, I still ended up playing as zoomed out as it goes. For me, the faster access to each unit and seeing more of the action outweighs the slight slowness in selecting units that are smaller on the screen.

1 Like

Screw this game. cant zoom out far enough. Getting a refund from Steam

8 Likes