Like what i already said: I am not against some changes at matchmaking. I think it is great if they improve matchmaking so even more people enjoy matchmaking. Matchmaking needs to be the quickest way to find a nice game. It needs to so accessible as possible to play a game by match maker.
I think it is good for the game if you encourage people to play other maps than only Arabia, without forcing them. I understand why people love Arabia, but the game is much more than just Arabia. I think it is good if the game encourage you to stop out of your comfort zone.
One thing is to look at is the map pool for 1v1: What kind of maps do the community enjoy the maps? I think most players want open maps with early aggression and not to much water. If we have a look at the current map pool:
- Arabia/Serengeti: Favorite for many players and his lookalike that is even more open.
- Arena: Also a popular good old map.
- Four Lakes, Golden Swamp and Island: 3 water / hybrid maps. I think this is just too much. Change this to just 1 map. As far as i know there was not really a big community playing this maps, so i would see just 1 water / hybrid map would be better. Maybe a second hybrid map, but a third is just overkill to me.
- MegaRandom: If i see this map, then i always have one question: Why is this in the map pool? It is in the map pool for maps and still not popular. I would drop this map.
- Nomad: Less popular as i would except. There were always nomad games on Voobly. Maybe they were team games and 1v1 nomad was never popular. I dont really care if it is in the map pool, just to have a no tc start map. This map is hybrid too. So maybe we can see Nomad as the second hybrid map in the map pool, so we can drop 2 out of 3 maps by hybrid / water maps.
- Hill fort: I have played this map much. Play rate is arount 11,33%, which is average. Just another semi closed map like Arena or Hideout from previous month is okay for me. It will give players who love more closed maps a second option.
If we do what i suggested, we can drop MegaRandom and two hybrid/water maps. This means there are 3 new spots. I would suggest some maps from ongoing tournaments. See also:
This maps are pretty much open. I think people like those maps more than maps in the current pool. This will give players who love Arabia also some other options. For now: We have battle of Africa as big Tournament. Most maps are pretty open. If the map pool contains more such kind of maps, the call for Arabia only will already be less, i think.
I just reacted to this argument some hours ago. I wont repeat the answer again. Just look some post above your post.
Also the ratings of Only Arabia players and All maps players will behave different. A 1600 Elo Only Arabia player and a 1600 Elo all maps player, can have a different level for playing on Arabia. I think - and this is speculating - that it will be easier to get a higher rating for the all maps players, than for an Arabia only player. This means even both players have the same Elo, the Arabia only player is stronger and thus is the match one sided. This also decrease match quality. This is what i mean with Elo isnt transfarable between maps.
Like Fano0517 i think this amount of separate Elo’s is a joke. I hope so… I do understand why you want it, but i dont think it really works. Every Elo another queue, that is not gonna work. I also think Pick civ / random civ just need to be an option, not a different ranking.