A feasible solution to proportion issue (and some other graphic suggestions)

Don’t know about DoW 1 or Dow 3 remaster but that’s definitely welcomed. (unless they didn’t learn anything from the death of Dow 3 and follow the path of eSport again which will lead to a dead end, but that’s another story)

I was just joking, as all I want is a DOW1 remaster.

I would tell those developers that people had zero issues with good building/unit proportions in AoE 2 and AoE 3 so their excuses are immediately invalidated.

6 Likes

I have only 1 issue with this regarding E-sports.
By upgrading production speed of buildings by doubling it.
It is hard to tell especially in the early game if the opponent is dedicating or not.
There needs to be a clear indicator, or such as a difference in the model between a Standard Barrack and a Upgraded production Barrack as an example.

Right now you can easily tell if someone going hard into feudal archers by buildings 2 archery ranges, instead of going 1 archery range and 1 barrack. as an example.

Other than that, I’m all for putting buildings into right proportions.

But I think we come across another issue by increasing the surface area of buildings.

It gives some Factions, especially the chinese, dheli and HRE a massive advantage over the opponents.

Maps where space is limited such as Black Forest, Aincient Spires, Archipelago, Bulge, to name few will have an issue.
Because a Burgrave Palace will be far more space efficient, and overseeing production with imperial official / scholars becomes 4x as effective. Meaning they would turn any production building into burger palaces.

This becomes a issue as there is no way for the opponent to match this when space denies him construction of additional production buildings to keep up.

Absolutely!

Whenever we suggest to modify the building scale, some people always ridicule us for “finding reality in the game”. But in fact, we never ask the game to be made according to the building scale of the real world. Instead, we try to find a more comfortable scale without affecting the game.

1 Like

In age of mythology you can upgrade barracks to produce units faster, that’s a good solution to avoid building spam that look off, or an upgrade to produce 2 units at the same time, not sure why we are tied to very old mechanics from 1995

1 Like

They just need to be consistent (not fully realistic).
Even in true cartoony styles like Disney films, where the characters have disproportional body parts and buildings are comically unrealistic, characters can still get into the doors.

1 Like

sigh… This topic was pointed 6 months before launch , post gamescom 2021 , post launch 1 month after , and now post gamescom 2022 .

Before launch everyone had their looks on graphic / scale . Now , seems like very little cares about it .

At this point i see it as a mere whim and not as a real game improvement …

The only thing it could be considered to me as a game improvement should be graphics , KEEP IN MIND THAT the current graphics are already VERY VERY good , even if people that havent played since 6 MONTHS keep saying that weapons look cartoony and armour look like plastic .

As you can see , clearly knight armour look plastic :rofl: (sarcasm)

It looks like pure metal and it looks good! but there are more changes to improve and more stuff to do .

Scaling at this point its just meh , could be better , could be worse .

If they fix it , many people will be upset since many things need to be reconsider to be considered plausible . But if THEY made an official mod to fix it , so players who want to play with realistic proportions CAN and those who dont want wont .

That should please everyone…

Very little cares about? Do you think people that criticized the scale/graphics will be playing and don’t care? No, they will stop playing and leave the game, many don’t even go to forums… So saying that little cares is just not right, tell me then what happened when age IV lost 80% of the player base ? Also, graphics very very very good? Really? Are animations also very very very good?

5 Likes

If proportions were better and some buildings were redesigned people Who dont care visuals would be normal. And people that want visual Will be Happy. So everybody would be Happy.

5 Likes

People will be very very very happy.

When 2019 trailer presentation I remember people who are no longer in this forum and were very angry with the appearance of the game and did not even consider buying it.

Considering actual player base as representative about AoE comunity has no sense.

1 Like

Launched without many MANY basic feautures , colorpicker , random civ selector , unbalanced civilizations , no ranked.

To not mention the bugs … There were plenty tbh…

yeah , they are decent , they could be better? yeah! Whats the problem?

Yeah they actually are , except maybe siege animations they are all good , what do you mean? Also , moving goalpoasts?

Umm , many little persons have recently comented on scaling so yeah , if they dont go to the forums is because they dont even want to make a critic , just look at recent steam reviews , theyre good!

Btw , if you said you didint played on 6 months why are u still whining about it if you havent tested it bruv?

There are a lot of people who just dont like a re-proportions update , pros wont like it , competitive players wont either , and many MANY people will just consider as an stupid move .

Again , if they want to reproportion they can release an official mod! then everyone would be pleased!

In 2019 they complained about graphics and colors so they tuned it down , now everyone says that its colorwashed .

You just cannot trust the comunity at that level , maybe gameplay wise yes , but graphics and visuals are something that you should count on the comunity council , not the comunity as a whole , because they dont know what they want and they neither are the best ones to give their statements without even testing the final product …

As long it is playable in the main game, I don’t think anyone would mind if it was a official mod, game option or whatever.

1 Like

Do I need to test it? Or just spend 15 min in YouTube ?

2 Likes

That’s a good point.
For the first one (hard to distinguish), just make the color of the roof darker and change it into golden when upgraded, considering their obsession of ‘readability’ this would make a lot of sense XD
The second one is tricker but still doable. The problem is that, with the same amount of official/scholars, production efficiency (when supervised) for china, deli will be higher. So, slightly nerfing the supervising efficiency would fix that.
For example, if you are china, and have 18 tiles of building space. Currently you can build 2 barracks (occuping 18 tiles. 3x3+3x3=18), and supervising with 1 official will give you the production capacity of 1+1x2.5=3.5 barracks(supervising efficiency for Chinese official is 2.5). With my solution you will be able to build only 1 barrack (occuping 16 tiles. 4x4=16) with the production capacity of 2 barracks. Supervising with 1 official would increase it to 2x2.5=5 barracks.
So, nerf the overall supervising efficiency of chinese officials from 2.5 to 1.4, 2x1.4=3.5. The logic is, if the production capacity is more concentrated, lower the multiplier to get the same end result.

Is very hilarius to discuss with you. Listen:

-Redesing some buildings, bigger dors and Windows, etc… dont affect playability when size isnt modified so the pros dont care.

-In all the polls comunity want better proportions

-Many buildings have bad proportions not for playability reasons but for bad visual decisions maked in a hurry in the last moments of development.

1 Like

Please be aware, the intention of this post is to fix the proportion without changing the gameplay or have minium impact on it. So don’t worry.
I would agree to test it before applying to the game. There is another name for ‘making an official mod’, it’s called PUP. Why not testing it in PUP and see how the community react? If the result show most people disagree with the change, then discard it. After all, it’s the AOE4 community who have the final say.