A few ways to improve the scenario editor

Thanks for the suggestions! I will be adding them, and a bunch of other ones from the folks at Age of Kings Heaven, to the OP.

… Or maybe not. I literally cannot find the edit button anymore? Is there a limit to the number of edits you can do or did I just go blind?

New additions:

Terrain

• You still can’t paint water on elevation or activate that mode if it exists. This is already available in the UserPatch and should be available here too.

Triggers

• Negative damage object triggers don’t seem to work, at least not on buildings.
  • Modify Attribute needs to be explained to new designers, and attack/armor types need to be fixed. Ideally with individual explanation boxes for each attribute that can be modified.
  • “Regeneration rate” does not seem to affect heroes.
  • Teleport object doesn’t work like in UserPatch. Can we get an option or checkbox to ignore terrain/collision restrictions so we can teleport buildings to achieve cooler design effects?
  • You do not appear to be able to change a unit name at the unit ID level. Ideally this should be possible, just like the unit description can be changed for all units produced, and mean you don’t have to use heavy-handed looping triggers that constantly rename all units of a certain type.
  • For the “Change Unit Description” effect, it would be nice to have text boxes where you can add the unit’s cost and/or an example text of how to add the resource icons to the text through codes.
  • Fix the tooltips and make them more informative, the trigger tooltips don’t help much at all in understanding their use.
  • Destroy object will be detected only after the new destruction animation is finished, which takes 8-9 seconds. The player will get the razing amount instantly, but the building destruction will be detected only 8-9 seconds after that, which will break anti-delete systems. It can be fixed by adding extra delay, but then the player will be able to delete freely during that 8-9 seconds.
  • Modify attribute effect is broken. Some attributes work properly when modified but, for example: changing the garrison capacity of a Baracks does not work, no matter which of the different Baracks objects you chose.
  • Villagers will occasionally moonwalk across the map after having their speed or work rate changed, although the poster of this issue was unable to reproduce it after the first time it happened.
  • “Change Train Location”. It seems to be a recurring issue with any building that has multiple iterations across ages (Baracks, Stable, Archery Range) that this effect doesn’t work properly. You can have to pinpoint the dark/feudal age version of the object to get the effect to work. Ideally it should work with any of them - or the only version that appears in the object list should be the one the effect works for, to avoid confusion.
  • If Unit1 is tasked to Unit2 with Task Object effect, and Unit2 moves away, Unit1 will go to Unit2’s original location, so won’t follow Unit2. This will break spawn systems with moveable gather point. Already spawned units won’t change direction if you set gather point to a different location.
  • Units with 1/0 HP get destroyed, which will break kill (or feed or razing) counters at 0 kills (however 0/1, so ∞/1 units will survive).

Various

• A chu-ko-nu uses attack type 3 (Pierce) but if you want to affect this, I have to type “0” as its type in a Change Object Attack trigger. Why is this?
  • Finish the unit descriptions, this seems to be a thing for norse warrior, eastern warrior amongst other, just helps keeping track easily what, they are weak against. They dont got a one because they are never supposed to be trained, which is somewhat fair enough, but still, would be nice to have.

Suggestions:

• Having all the civ variants of merchant, kings and monks as their own individual units would be nice, since all civs have unique, or some have, and currently you basically need dummy civs, just for a few models and icons.
  • A full list of triggers and all their effects would be useful.
  • Condition: “Chat contains” (So player can interact with game as making yes no decisions, writing magic powers, etc, etc) As in Age of Mythology.
  • Condition: Set a dialogue box with a select button option. (Yes/No or any other written option). Also saw it in AOM TT.
  • A wooden floor tile as an editor object. Or, alternatively, a “Floor” terrain or two: wooden floor, stone floor, etc.
6 Likes

Some units, when unhidden from the editor with AGE, don’t show up in-game whilst others do. EG: I unhid “Blue Tree” and it doesn’t show up in the editor.

It’s impossible to use the Item ID of any unit we can’t naturally select from the select object menu. If we type an Item ID in, switch effects, and then come back to this effect, the ID resets to -1. Either allow us to type in the ID or allow us to select projectiles and dead units from these select object lists.

1 Like

Will add that to the list after I have had time to do some more experimenting! It does sound like a problem carried over from HD, though. I had the same problem there with objects like the OMTBO.

On another note, does anyone know why I can’t edit the OP anymore? Is there a limit to the number of edits you can do?

Does anyone know how to remove the hero halo or remove a halo mode for a unit, via in the trigger mode or?

I’m going to have to look into that, but if there isn’t already a way to turn it off it would definitely be useful to have!

It’s a particle effect in the particles folder. if you change it to point at a blank .dds file, that’s probably the safest way to “remove” it. You could also just delete the particle files too, but that’s a little more destructive and may cause problems internally.

Edit: Another alternative would be to edit the .dat file with AGE to find the Hero unit that you want to remove the effect from, and edit its graphic IDs to not use the particle effect deltas. seen here:

Edit2: I think it’d be nice to have a way to remove hero effects from specific units, maybe with a trigger or something, from the editor – though looking at how the hero glows have been implemented, it would probably be something quite difficult without the ability to switch a unit’s graphic IDs in-game.

1 Like

Have noticed that we dont have hero Version of all Units, like rattan archer and the Condottieri, propobly not the most important, since we can add regen to units as i understand it, and create fake heroes, with icon change, but they are still lacking in 2 ways, hero glow and where they line will line up when they are told to line up. I figure its more low priority stuff, for either the glow and line up, or new hero units, but since this is the thread for it, eh, why not?

Hi, I’ve tried your suggestion to remove the glow delta entry from the various modes of the Savar hero unit. However, when I save the changes, the AGE Editor just shuts down. and when I open it up again the changes to the deltas are not saved. Any idea why?

Also, is anyone looking at why the graphic previous window shows nothing?

Because AGE wasn’t built for 2DE’s format, and the AGE prvided by 2DE is just a very simple collection of extra fields to fit data that 2DE needs. The graphics don’t show because AGE expects SLPs and .DRS files, and gets none of that from 2DE.

Also dunno about the deltas, but if that didn’t work then you could also try this:

Change “Particle Effect Name” to be blank.

1 Like

Hi, still no luck. The fundamental issue is that none of the changes made in AGE editor seem to save correctly. When I open it up again, its unchanged.

New additions (which I still cannot add to the OP for some reason):

Terrain:

• I would suggest reintroducing the “glitch” that the 1.0c patch fixed, where you could use the “Erase” function on walls to remove the wall end (tower) without it affecting the rest of the wall, i.e. without turning the wall adjacent to the removed wall into a wall end (tower). This glitch was often very useful to designers who could have more control over wall placement and how the walls looked. The glitch was caused by the “Erase” function only removing the graphic of the wall, while the scenario still registered a wall object being present, thus leaving the adjacent walls with their original graphics. This could perhaps be reintroduced as a separate option for the “Erase” fuction, an “Erase Wall Ends” option alongside “Erase Gaia Objects” and the rest.

• If you import a scenario from HD in which a single player has all the (available) palaces, that player retains all those palaces in DE. However, they cannot be map copied, as when you do that the map copied version defaults to the Aachen Cathedral.

Triggers:

• If an object has longer name than usual, its name will be cut off and scrolling extremely slowly, even if there is enough space to show the full name. This appears to start happening when the name exceeds 29 characters in length. Also, it doesn’t look very good to have scrolling name for any object as you only have half a second to start reading the name before the first letters disappear.

• You can’t hold CTRL to skip past full words when typing in text boxes, the chat etc. The same goes for marking the text with CTRL+SHIFT.

• It would be nice if, when you click “New Effect” and there are no triggers, the editor automatically created the first trigger for you. I cannot count the times I have tried to add effects to a trigger that didn’t yet exist.

• It’s impossible to use the Item ID of any unit we can’t naturally select from the select object menu. If we type an Item ID in, switch effects, and then come back to this effect, the ID resets to -1. Either allow us to type in the ID or allow us to select projectiles and dead units from these select object lists.

Various: (not all editor-specific)

• Some units, when unhidden from the editor with AGE, don’t show up in-game whilst others do. EG: I unhid “Blue Tree” and it doesn’t show up in the editor.

• You often cannot click on individual units in an amy by clicking their icon in the bottom screen.

• You can’t task units to a place on the minimap anymore.

• You cannot click the unit/tech currently being created/researched to stop the process and get your resources back. We demand a refund!

• When you play a scenario online it doesn’t save the file in the scenario folder as it used to. I can’t select the scenario from (the folder where it is now saved) either in the editor or when setting the map in the lobby.

• Have noticed that we dont have hero Version of all Units, like rattan archer and the Condottieri, propobly not the most important, since we can add regen to units as i understand it, and create fake heroes, with icon change, but they are still lacking in 2 ways, hero glow and where they line will line up when they are told to line up. I figure its more low priority stuff, for either the glow and line up, or new hero units, but since this is the thread for it, eh, why not?

Suggestions:

• One feature that has always been lacking in AoE2 is sound control. You can play sounds, but not pause or stop them unless using the “Display Instructions” effect, which prevents any new instructions from being displayed until the sound effect (which can be minutes long) has ended. Here is a two-fold proposal on how to remedy this:

• First, add more options to the “Play Sound” effect. These can include: volume (with a textbox/slider that goes from 0-100%, set by default to 100%); sound source, allowing the designer to select an object/location on the map where the sound comes, allowing for directional sound effects (one could also have a slider that goes from 100% left to 100% right, set to 0%/center by default); a checkbox for automatic looping, for custom music pieces; fade in/fade out checkboxes with timer textboxes; and a sound classification dropdown menu, with, for example: 1) Sound Effect, 2) Speech, 3) Music, 4) Ambient Sound.

• Second, the addition of a “Sound Control” effect. This can in turn serve a two-fold purpose: first, it should allow the designer to modify anything played by the “Play Sound” effect: change volume to a sound file already playing; change the volume of all sounds set to a certain sound class, marked 1-4 above, so that music can be lowered without affecting say dialogue; the ability to set the sound settings for the scenario, i.e. the “Music Volume” and “Sound Effects Volume” otherwise only accessible through the options menu - this way the player doesn’t have to manually change their sound settings to fit the scenario; stop sound playing and stop sound class playing; and set global volume.

• This can also be followed by a (or multiple) “Sound” condition(s), allowing for the game to check if a certain sound is playing, what the global volume or sound class volume is, etc. One suggestions includes separate conditions for: is “X” tag/class playing, is Tag/class “X”'s volume (Insert Number from 0-100), is Tag/class “X” fading in/out, is Tag/class “X” playing in Y object, Tag/class “X” Loop counter (insert number of ‘laps’), is Global volume set to (insert number from 0-100), is Tag/class “X” muted, & is Global muted.

• I would love love love the ability to freeze animations. It would give so much more flexibility for creating ruins, for instance: place, say, a wonder; destroy it; and freeze it x frames into the destruction animation.

• Add an effect to remove hero halo, it’s not always useful to have a big glow around your main characters.

3 Likes

Can we have some advice on how to add/convert graphics to add as sprites/eye candy into the scenario editor.

This is an amazing list of things. Really hope this becomes a focus thing once they fix all the multiplayer issues, since the Community content is one of the main reasons that this game is still alive.

5 Likes

I support your list ! It’s fantastic. The tool “Modify attribute” have a big potential and I hope that will be fixed. I love modify units, buildings, and create custom role play scenario or short story and, in fact, I think the editor can be improve. Your post need more visibility :slight_smile:

1 Like

New additions after some more experimenting:

Units tab:

• The Heavy Swordsman beta unit no longer has any graphics.

• The “Contraption” is my new favourite object, but unfortunately it does not have an attack sound.

• Unsure if this is a bug or just the way the unit is intended, but the Mounted Samurai has no samurai-like graphics, it’s just a Hussar.

• The hero glow on ship heroes looks a bit ridiculous to be honest, it’s like they are constantly enveloped in faint flames.

• Often when scrolling through unit the lists with the arrow or letter keys, you can go a couple steps and then it just stops working and you have to select an object in the list for it to start working again. This appears to be because the Garrison box is automatically selected/highlighted. This also happens for basically any trigger effect that has a textbox

Terrain tab:

• Sometimes the function of using letter or arrow keys to move among units, terrains etc. just completely shuts off, and you have to restart the game to get it to work.

• After painting a terrain, you can’t type a letter to jump to another terrain

Triggers:

• It’s annoying to have to click the “Reset” button for Set location before you can select another one. Instead, you could just have the “Reset” button be dark until a location/area/target has been set, instead of the “Set X” button going dark

• The same issue affecting the Units tab affects triggers as well: whenever an effect has a textbox, you can only use the arrows or letter keys once or a few times before the textbox is selected, causing you to not be able to scroll the object/effects list anymore.

• It used to be (prior to HD) that creating a Flare object with triggers marked an X on the minimap, just as a Flare does when you manually mark one in game. Adding this back in would be an improvement as it is useful for a lot of things, specifically when you want to show a location without revealing it, or highlight a location that has already been explored.

Various:

• The “OMTBO” object does not appear in objects list even after unhiding it with the new version of AGE. Perhaps this is an issue with AGE and not the game, but the exact same issue existed in AoE2:HD for which AGE had been optimized.

• The same issue exists for various other hidden objects; when unhidden, they still do not appear in the editor. For example: Blue Tree, Spy, trail smoke, fldog, Llama buildings, bolt explosion and all of the buildings with “(Rubble)” in their names.

• HP bars sometimes appear widely off target. This appears to be an issue only when you play with a non-native screen resolution. Has been reported by other users: (Health bars and selection rectangle don't scale with resolution)

Suggestions:

• Global victory: It would be nice to be able to set a custom Score and Time Limit.

• If an “Unhide All Hidden Objects” button is added to the Units tab, the option to “Unhide All Except Missiles” should preferably also be added.

Miscellaneous notes:

• No idea why the Flaming Camel was added but I like it!

• Not a bug, but I do wonder why so many object were duplicated with the original ones hidden?

2 Likes

Really would love the unhide all units feature! This would greatly enchance scenario designing!

Would also love if theyd fix the modify attribute trigger. Changing attack, armor en several others like max projectiles just doesnt work…

Any way to remove the flames for the Bactrian camel moving? We need a caravan camel unit. We need it for Silk Road scenarios…

You can edit the unit in AGE, find its standing graphic ID and check what particle effect is being used. access that graphic ID and set the “particle name” field blank.

Would it be possible for us to get a “Upgrade Unit” trigger effect? It’s an amazingly useful feature of UserPatch for designers and it’s sad we only have a “Replace Object” that doesn’t seem to do the trick.

I’d also like a way to toggle unit visibility in fog of war via the Modify Attribute, if it’s possible to expose that value.

Can you roll the “Object Visible” and “Object Not Visible” into one condition that is just “Object Visible” with an invert checkbox?

1 Like

I like your suggestions and will be adding them to the list! I’d oppose combining the two conditions Object Visible/Object Not Visible, though, because it would break the backwards compatibility with older maps that use both conditions, and there’s a ton of them. Although, if DE automatically turned those older “Object Not Visible” conditions into the new “Object Visible” with the inverse chechbox checked, so that older maps still work as intended, we could both have our cake and eat it.

1 Like