A poll on Archer, Xbow projectile interaction

I don’t think dodging arrows is necessary for the game to demonstrate micro control. Moreover, in most sports RTS there is no “dodging arrows”, remember WarCraft 3, I think no one will argue that this is the best RTS of all time (now, unfortunately, it was spoiled), the game has amazing abilities for micro control, but at the same time it the mechanic of dodging arrows is not needed, all the projectiles that you release hit the enemy.
I understand that this desire is due to the habit of AoE 2 fans, but from the point of view of players in other RTS, this looks like an additional unnecessary complication of the game, there can be no place for randomness or luck in sports, it is better to focus on other gameplay features that can be revealed micro.

PS
It’s not AoE 2

7 Likes

“And they should be lasers”

Nice bias over that poll buddy.

9 Likes

then at least give MAA to raise shields, like footmen in Warcraft 3, but reduce their speed and spearmen to form formations to reduce ranged damage and reduced speed. Something though be there. Allow mounted units to dodge like in AOE 2.

1 Like

It’s called a ‘joke’ :slight_smile:
Just because OP clearly might prefer the first option doesn’t mean people can’t or shouldn’t vote number two.
This is not part of some university research project you know.

Since they are delayed hitscan weapons, arrows could be replaced with slower-moving laser beams. Why not?

I’d be happy to see bowmen being replaced with photon man. At least it would add some excitement to unit rooster :slight_smile:
PHOTON MAN vs EVERY UNIQUE UNIT | AoE II: Definitive Edition - YouTube
PhotonManDE

2 Likes

If you’re going to make a poll you should be as unbiased as possible or the poll becomes biased and the results spoiled.

Anyway good luck with that, I’m just tired of AoE II fans not being able to overcome their 20 years old game and trying to make AoE IV a remake of AoE II.

9 Likes

I’m not sure what AoE II has to do with anything - I’m viewing this decision through the prism believability, realism and depth of the game.
Super accuracy can be present, but it should be at least gated with one or two researchable technologies.
And even better on top of that- a dynamic system that would naturally influence the outcome of every shot.
Like it should be harder to hit faster moving units, it should be also harder to hit along with increase of the distance to the target.

Are elevation bonuses not removed from IV? If they are in place, then that’s the same thing. Normal, logical thing you would expect from a game 90% about warfare.

How does it make the game deeper, or even just better? It’s just a simplification and flattening learning curve and depth. Will that make casuals stick for longer? What’s the philosophy behind it?
If you expect a simplistic game it’s ok if you’re against these things.
I don’t.

Without things like that, things that might be hidden or not obvious from the start, how much is there to master in the long run? They don’t spoil gameplay for newcomers, they just make it more interesting and rewarding for people that dedicated to mastering the game.

2 Likes

One suggestion, for close targets you should hit the arrows keeping the current game mechanics, for targets that are far away it should be possible to dodge the arrows! Maybe this is a happy medium and it can be good and balanced without changing the game !! because this game mechanic is very good in age. I understand that the current game mechanics might be good, but it would be nice to be able to dodge long range arrows, keeping the current game mechanics where the target is close, and thus balance the game!!! Maybe starting at 2/3 of the distance is enough to dodge the arrows!!

1 Like

Oh god please no. Don’t introduce some random miss percentages into the game that make it impossible to predict how skirmishes between units will go. If you have got to nerf ranged attacks, just increase ranged armor.

3 Likes

I don’t know if dodging arrows is the answer, but it’s clear this game has way too little micro in it atm. Seems like kiddy play compared to other competitive RTS’s.

If I want to play with StarCraft mechanics I will play StarCraft but I don’t like those mechanic so I don’t play it. I like AoE2 partly for the ballistic mechanic and hate to see it get dumbed down.

1 Like

I can’t speak for everyone else, but for me it has nothing to do with AOE2. I have two reason:
1: I want projectiles in the game to operate like real projectiles. You know the difference in FPS between projectile weapons and hitscan? Right now it feels like it’s all hitscan even though only the gunpowder weapons are fast enough to justify it.
2. Having ranged attacks operate as projectiles with some inaccuracy, especially at long range, makes them operate more like the actual medieval weapons. In real life you might not be able to dodge an arrow shot at you at close range but you can certainly dodge one fired up into the air from a distance. Also a volley of arrows from an Archer group aren’t aimed at a particular target and should land in a spread- not all converge on a single soldier.

Have you played company of heroes? A real relic gem. The soldiers had almost no hp- the only thing keeping them alive was that the enemy soldiers weren’t 100% accurate. It might sound frustrating but it didn’t feel that way.

2 Likes

One suggestion, for close targets you should hit the arrows keeping the current game mechanics, but for targets that are far away it should be possible to dodge the arrows due to distance, making it a kind of arrow that seems to follow the units, it doesn’t seem natural see the arrow following the target. I understand that the mechanics of the current game can be good, it’s just a suggestion and it wouldn’t run away from the player so much!!! Maybe starting at 2/3 of the distance is enough to dodge the arrows!!

1 Like

For a long distance it’s weird not being able to dodge the arrows, it doesn’t seem natural, especially when it’s at a distance the target is moving !! It’s just an observation!!

3 Likes

Unpopular opinion, but I think that you should not be able to dodge the arrows. However, with stuff like siege, you should definitely be able to dodge it.

1 Like

It is aoe2x2
here is proof: aoe2x2=aoe4 (div aoe) → 2x2=4 (div2) → 2=2 → proved.
Hail me. Im Sotl (joke)

Anyway, what’s ur defence about arrows which are making turns on the fly? Arrows, not “magic” project tiles. It’s fucking arrow. So at least try to find comparison in medieval games.

But any argument u will make, I could answer “it’s not wc3/sc2”. etc.

PS imagine COBRA CAR running from arrows through whole map.
Mb that’s the reason why cheat codes wont be on release.

1 Like

did u consider:
size of models?
range of attack? (arrows from castle could hit via screen (14 tiles range attack)
dodging ability aka blink?

So if u considered these.
The question will be: do u really believe ur own words:

?

Work of laziness: copy mechanic from other game, not considering about reasons.

Just make projectiles faster and it will look less awkward, that’s good enough for me.

I am neither for Option 1 or 2, but what is even the point of this Poll if the second option is clearly skewed in a negative way? :confused:

1 Like

This isn’t just the case with stalkers, any ranged unit in starcraft has 100% accuracy.
They don’t have blink without an upgrade. And that still isn’t part of my point. Ranged micro is still tactical and meaningful without it.

Such as setting up concaves or moving low hp units away.

You’re going to have to actually come up with an argument for this discussion to work.

Aoe has always taken inspiration from starcarft.

1 Like

back to origin? Why we even play aoe4, lets play sc3.
How it’s even argument.

it was one question. but who cares… let’s just iignore arguments about size/speed of project tiles and other…
in ur world project tiles have only one basis=miss or not.
speed/size/form does not exist in ur world.
Who cares that even marines in sc2 has active ability “boost”.
Who cares that ** Marauder** visually has slow homing project tile, but it looks naturally in sc2.
let’s ignore all work that has been done by devs and select homing missiles.

sc2 devs were dump to develop different project tiles and give them different features (size/speed/visual effects). [sarcasm]

an how many of them have arrows? - Zero, None, Null, 0.

PS ballistic, can be easily adjust to prevent “dodging”, but who cares about physics, to do math is hard, so just draw turning arrow - it’s easier.
Why develop smth, if can just copy paste easiest physics and be “fine”[sarcasm]

PS i’m not against homing missiles but ur arguments is so lazy.
arguments are lazy “sc2 has this feature so another game should follow…”