Abbasid dynasty struggle

Hi there, I am 1000-1100elo player, often i play AD, i am asking for help

1. how to kill age 2 pushes from HRE/ENG…?
    *when you are facing mix of trash units with archers + ram , should i produce camel archers or is it waste of food and rather stick with standart archers?
    *when you are facing mix of man at arms, archers with ram, what should i produce?

2. in general i find it dificult with AD compared to other civs, because there are no defensive landmarks so i cant adapt when under pressure, just building towers / castles is option for AD. but is it worth go for defenses rather then building of army?

3. as AD do you build castles against china in imp?
    i found it waste of resources, in imp castles just die in 5 seconds when 4 bombards are on field

4. do you use camel riders? if so in what circumstances?
    do you build camel archers? if so in what circustances?
    *general quiestion, against what comp do you use mentioned units?
    i do get em because aura, just few. i didnt find use for them other then that…#

5. are you able to defeat france with AD on water after patch,?i played against them once and failed on wa
    ter

6. as AD what are options against Mongols? If i go for defensive play, walls + towers, he covers map with towers for map control, and just eats map, and i stand no chance later on…
    Viable might be some kind of age 2 push with rams, but is it possible to make it work? i mean they just pack and leave…

4 Likes
  1. I’m a scrub, but being aggressive against Chinese when they wanted to fast imp worked well. (produced rams from spearmen constantly)

A mix of horserider + archer should do just fine.
Your advantage with abasid is your early economy.

1. you get tons of food from berries
  2. you don’t need villagers to build your ageup building

You should even be able to play archer only vs English as an opener, you just need 2 ranges and you are fine (as a defender your units built are there right away so you should be able to outnumber).
But I prefer to open with horserider.

On water Abasid got very weak ships without upgrades. BUT your ships get better over time (first the +100hp upgrade and then also the blacksmith upgrades).
The advantage you got is mobility, your ships can outmove hulks, so your goal probably should be to age up fast with not as much fishing ships and try to hit and run his fishing eco with your faster ships instead of directly go into a ship vs ship fight (you basically need blacksmith upgrades first).
Also your harbors are cheaper so you can place multiple ones to then build multiple ships in feudal.
A dhow costs 270 ressources with a construction time of 40 seconds, a Hulk costs 540 with a 45 second construction time. So you basically should build ships out of 2 harbors constantly (when you reach feudal), having a 3rd harbor to create updates and a blacksmith.

Towers are very good for all civs, especially when playing against french, I tend to put a tower for every 5 villagers (like I put one at gold and keep a max of 5 vills there), denies early raides completely until I can push his base with spear + archer.

vs china I basically only win if I go feudal age aggression, they seem to be way to good in castle age onwards to deal with them

^— from my noob perspective (~1300 elo)

1 Like

Hello,

Camel Archers in early feudal too expensive food wise. Not feasable. Archers + Horsemen, or Archers and a lot of spears with Range upgrade against early MAA agression. Spears with range upgrade can attack from the second row. That helps massively if you not only outnumber the MAA but also you can attack the MAAs with all your units if you surround. them.

If you went military wing early then it might be feasible to add one or two camel archers to buff your archers early, but not more then that.

Camels in general - most of the time just mixing in a couple to spread the buff to the infantry. Against knight opponent a couple of camel riders + spears.
Full Camel only viable if you have a stable fish boom, otherwise it will just eat too much food.

VS China either heavy feudal agression or fast castle and strong push with MAA + Siege + 1 or 2 Camels.

Against Mongol, defending while beeing on 2 or 3 TCs. Pumping out Archers Spears and later on Horseman if you can. Long Feudal until your Eco is strong enough to go castle. Then bring the fight to him. Is difficult, but worked for me several times.

Elo around 1400.

Lots of towers also never bad. They contribute to Golden Age, so why not?

Edit: Late Game Go To Army Comp for me:

Mainly MAA, couple of Camels Riders + Hand Canonners. Culverins + Bombards as Siege.
Really Stronk.

on water maps i use to go standart 4 to sheep, build docks and pump fishing ships.
when at feudal i use to build 2nd dock and pump fish ships with some dhows.later 3rd
so all my food eco at start of feudal is in fishing.
what you mentioned is i should go for less fishing ships more vills on sheeps, perhaps berries, build BS and pump dows out of at leat 1 dock, continuosly, keep upgrading at BS?
it feels to me like i want all strat, bu i will try next time.
probably excecution is key, my target should be to kill his fishing with my more mobile dhows, while not comiting to open water fight
what is ideal ratio between dhows/ hulks if i want to go for engagetmnet ? Lets say of his hulk is guarding fishing ships, and i want to kill hulk and later fishing, how many dows should i send?
thanks for advice

no magonels?
and also
thanks for advice i will try that

Naa, no Mangonels.

Camel Buff + Unique Techs from Abassid already makes your MAA really strong.
Shoot away enemy siege with Culverins.

Also generally, a real strong side of Abassid is the “reactive play”. Scout a lot what your opponent does and build the counter to it. I think they have all the tools to counter pretty much everything - springald spam aside.

With Eco wing you can basically always go 2nd TC or even 3rd TC and keep Army production up. With Culture Wing you stay on 1 TC - if map doesnt allow for good 2nd TC location and get all the Upgrades early on. This also brings you in a really nice economical position.

Another thing which i started doing recently is:
If i want to go 2nd TC early, i scout out the location for the TC early and then build the HoW in the middle between first tc and the 2nd TCs position. Even if that means that the HoW is going to be a little farther away from my first tc, it helps to gain Golden Age quicker later on to have both TCs connected as quickly as possible. HoW Influence is huge. So i dont randomly place the HoW but try to put it in a position that helps me later on.

yep i get it, MMA with aura are really strong.
I had similiar feeling but, i was thinkingt this comes from fact i was already ahead anyway, but you are probably right.

or i open eco wing - > 2tc (i will now build even 3rd tc, I didnt think about it as an option but good hint, thx)
or rarely, when i feel like i will be under preasure from start{combination of opponent race and given map} i use to go culture wing first just all eco upgrades and fast castle, this was situational, but efective

thx

Fast Castle i mostly do

Culture Wing
Research Preservation of Knowledge
Then click up to Castle
While going to castle get the eco upgrades.

I found that Eco upgrades before Castle will delay Castle Age quiet a lot.

Ah right when i am thinking about that you are right…
those upgrades will not scale well anyway with 1 tc i dont have many vills, it just slow down castle timing

I like opening 2 TC with Abbasid because Fresh Foodstuffs makes it feel viable in a way it doesn’t on almost every other civ. You also don’t get an automatic economic boost from a Castle age landmark that say English/French/Rus/HRE/Mongols can get with fast castle even if say the Culture Wing boost is kind of nice.

With that said, I’m not convinced its optimal on most maps. I don’t think you get any real economic advantage at the critical 8-10 minute mark when someone would normally be ram rushing or fast castling themselves - and then the fast castle player can either throw down another TC and not be too far behind (or ahead, depending on that landmark mentioned above) or just move to kill all those extra villagers you made.

1 Like

hulk vs dhow I am quite sure you need at least a 2:1 ratio and on top you want at least 1 blacksmith upgrade.
Which is why you need to have 2 harbors if the french player got 1 (yours are cheaper anyways).

Not building as many fishing ships mainly because otherwise you simply don’t have the wood once you reach feudal age to build 2 dhows + blacksmith right away. Once you got water dominance you can still crank up your fishing economy but it does not make sense to build like 8-10 fishing ships and then instantly losing water.

But like mentioned, I am only a 1300 elo noob

1 Like

I’ve been playing some AD recently and having success while being the rusher instead. When you start to age up, send a Vil closer to their base and build 1 barracks and 1 archery range. Pump out 10 spearmen and archers and start building ram. Just rush the rams into the council hall, at this point longbows won’t win the rams, and your spearmen can start kiting pushing them
Back, your archers are there only to counter the vils who come to stop your rams. By 10 mins usually they surrender cause they already lost their longbow production and you can reinforce with the barracks and archery range nearby.

2 Likes

Against english i mostly start with double Stable Horseman to get mapcontrol and keep him back as long as possible.

Then if he gets so many Longbows my eco is hopefully strong enough to get 3 Archery Ranges up and add archers. by the time the Rams Push hits you it is possible to beat it with some micro effort.

May I ask why MAA and not cheap pikemen? curous because I like the idea, Just always did pikemen Siege and camel archers / crossbows. ( I only play team games that might be why)

@LINGLING2688 MAA are better at tanking TC fire and don’t cost wood (so you have wood to build more rams earlier, or add supporting mangonels). Downside is waiting until castle age.

The TCs used to target whatever you sent first (i.e. ram), so spears could rush in and siege down the TC. They patched in the ability for the TC to re-target units instead, so unarmored units like spears or archers are vulnerable.

1. how to kill age 2 pushes from HRE/ENG…?

So fast castle 8 min. with a special Bo is your only chance to win.

2.when you are facing mix of trash units with archers + ram , should i produce camel archers or is it waste of food and rather stick with standart archers?

Camel archer are totaly trash that mean you should cav+ archer and win the fight.

3.when you are facing mix of man at arms, archers with ram, what should i produce?

Heavy cavalery and crossbowman. If your not in casstle age you have loose.

1. in general i find it dificult with AD compared to other civs, because there are no defensive landmarks so i cant adapt when under pressure, just building towers / castles is option for AD. but is it worth go for defenses rather then building of army?

It’s really difficult to absorb pressure in feodal age with Abbassid. if you wanna survive you have two choose. Economic boom with 2 tc or more. Or have a big army for defend with a big micromanagement for don’t waste your ressource. Tower and wall can help you for map control and defending you before casstle age.

1. as AD do you build castles against china in imp?

If a china have the good landmark you can’t beat his siege weapons with your because it’s broken. But you can continue to counter and trade the economy (some men at arms on the eco , etc)

1. do you use camel riders? if so in what circumstances?

0 circonstance it’s trash unit. Sometime one in imperial for th armor bonus.

7.general quiestion, against what comp do you use mentioned units?

Trash unit forgot it.

1. are you able to defeat france with AD on water after patch,?

you have on of the worst naval unit of this game. So you have two strategie. make a port exploit fish and loose it but with enough food for rush the player or fast Castle age with a good wood line; if the french is pretty long to destroy you on water you can win (if he suck)

1. as AD what are options against Mongols?

There is no option against mongols. They are in all state of the game better that you with less micromanagement. Maybe you should try to economic boom with 2 tc or more if he his passiv in game begin and with a better economy and good trade you can take advantage.

2 Likes

Hope they notice We urgently need to strengthen

They do notice, but want to wait a month before they make changes every time. Slowly balancing the game, It’s painful but they’re listening… slowly.

U should prioritize getting age 3 so u can build mangonels on the field and destroy this.

Lots of towers and garrison them with cheap spearmen

100%, use culture wing upgrade to make fortresses heal your units in combat.

Only against mass cav with spearmen backing them up

No beating France on water still

Yes and be SUPER aggressive with early walls and towers.

Also even an age one rush is viable with AD

1 Like