Abbasid gameplay

Those would be really fun units, but I am having trouble finding more evidence that the Abbasids fielded these. I hope they do include this in a future camel civ (Safavid Dynasty, perhaps?), because they sound like a lot of fun to play with.

Perhaps camels can gave a speed boost to siege units to represent this in a future update.

2 Likes

If you look on the wiki it doesn’t mention Abbasid/seems too late for AOE4 time period.

I’m trying to find the one they specifically mention in the documentaries I saw a while back. But it’s hard to find since now all you see when you search for it is AoE4 lol.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m trying to find the one where they mention it in one of the battles with the Caliphate, but all you see when searching for it is AoE4 units.

I’ll keep searching

2 Likes

Camels are way too expensive to actually use them. If you want their bonus then just make a couple of them.

Only until a really long team game I can have my dream camel army, but I prefer the combo of crossbow with either pikemen or maa since this kind of army can spam siege weapons.

The only good things going for abassid are the crazy economy, imam conversions, and siege building.

3 Likes

I agree. The camel buff looks to be very limited:

Conclusion: Only until you have a large mass of MAA does the bonus really have an effect. Granted, this may be different with pikes and archers against other types of units.

2 Likes

i don’t know where to begin Everyone knows that Abbasids are the lowest winrate Civ for a lot of reasons and they’re also not playable in team matches games since the game built on landmark victory and they got 2 landmarks? i think this is a BUG!

For example firelancers deletes 2 landmarks in a few seconds while Chinese got 8 landmarks?

Now lets discuss why Abbasids are lowest winrate civ:

1- Their unique units camels are one of the weakest unique units ingame even mongol scout khan is better than them.

2- Unique golden age which buff villagers require -60- buildings close to eachother which is very hard to achieve compared to other civs that gets villager buff without doing anything big as building 60 structurers.

3- Aging up depends on 1 building and all enemies target it so you cant age up when your ONLY landmark is down.

4- aging up with abbasids are slowest compared to all other civs for unknowns reasons?

5- You cannot use or upgrade any of abbasid technologies while aging up cause it’s all in one building?

6- weakest civ in age 2 cause they got no lancers or men at arms compared to other civs?

7- troops can build siege in age 3 like mongols but they cant even repair it?

8- absolutely nothing special in water maps for abbasids while historically they’re one of the strongest civs as most modern science are built on their contributions.

9- if you tried to wall house of wisdom in team matches so enemies don’t snipe you since you’re the weakest civ you lose any chance to get golden age to buff villagers.

10- it’s depressing trying to compare abbasids to any other civs like imaging comparing camels to firelancers or even khan and elephants or chinese 9 landmarks to abbasid 1 landmark.

11- did you just make camels for memes? when someone see them in army or camels raiding he laughs that’s how useless you made this civs.

12- there are so many things you could do to make abbasids decent starting by fixing above ^^.

https://aoe4world.com/stats/civilizations

2 Likes

ah yes i saw this video too, it’s cryable weak

Awesome! Those are even more interesting than horse artillery in aoe3, this feels like a cyclops (AoM) with range hahaha.
They wiki also mentions camels with huge crossbows on the back.

My experience was: its sucks

Abbasids feel slow and rigid. Which is funny because so far the civ seems to be designed for flexibility. Or was supposed to be.

The lack of key units.
Their specialized units need a buff.
Their camels need a buff.
The golden age is irrelevant if the civ doesn’t have the punch to make the most of it.
etc.

It’s just the worst possible case for using camel support. It would look very different for archers and even spears. Camel support is a strong tech, but it’s not viable in every unit composition. It’s very helpful to just run the numbers on some key matchups.

A lot of the answers in this thread really make me wonder if people even play the civ or just complain about it. Their feudal age power for example. Abbasid on 1 TC beat English in feudal age. Easily. There is not much the English player can do because his eco is so much weaker. Yet, for some reason people go 2 TC and obviously just die because they opted into the self counter strat vs the ram push.

Outside of Camel Rider being too expensive for what it does and the Camel Rider shield tech being overpriced and essentially useless, Abbasid probably shouldn’t be buffed.

Looking at winrate alone without taking the used strats into account is kind of pointless for balancing a civ. I bet that most players go for a 2nd TC rush without much of a reasoning besides “half price vills means I build 2 TC, hurr durr.” I’ve seen high elo players in tournaments do that ■■■■ and promptly die instead of just playing into what your opponent is doing.

2 Likes

how is it slow? no one else can build rams in dark age… not even mongols lol

Yeah I agree here.

I also agree with the good points you made about foodstuffs and earlier upgrades. Abbasids feel real good age 1-2 early 3 but then loose strength.

Also the two landmarks is a huge handicap.

1 Like

They do get the tech from the culture wing that allows fortresses to heal units in combat and I’ve used this quite a lot.

1 Like

i agree, but others have way more cool landmarks

Oh yeah don’t get me wrong I think Abbasids should get more landmarks and keep their upgrades

Other civs like Delhi get all the landmarks and a landmark with special upgrades, don’t make no sense.

1 Like

I rather liked that the HoW had a bunch of unique upgrades in one building. However, they patched it out such that the techs are now in the respective buildings (i.e. Phalanx tech is now in the barracks). The devs wanted these techs to be researched and more noticeable, but the effect was actually a minor nerf: you had to spend time in production building on research. The unintended consequence was of course the infamous (and hilarious) spearman range bug. This is not the case with the French, which can access their Chivalry tech from multiple buildings.

The problem is that the HoW is too weak to withstand landmark sniping, and aging up provides no immediate benefit.

Unless you’re a really good player, the Abbasid are just frustratingly difficult to play (even at the top levels, they’re bottom in terms of win%). I just switched from main-ing Abbasid to French, and I immediately noticed how much easier and versatile they were in comparison.

I think the following would be a move in the right direction for buffing the Abbasid:

• Increase HoW HP bonus per age
  • Automatically grant the tech for the wing you aged up with
  • Allow the techs that were moved out of the HoW back into the HoW
  • Add a unique tech that allows other TCs to count as landmarks
  • Reduce the cost of camel units - they’re simply not cost-effective, not even as a support unit evidently.
    *Edit: Buff the camels - increase their aura range or influence of effect, stats (e.g. HP), abilities (e.g. camel archers auto-fire like Mangudai).
  • Edit: Allow walls to count towards Golden Age or reduce number of buildings to advance to Tiers 2 and 3.
4 Likes

Please I do wanna use the camels but right now it’s way more effective if I just spam archers and use them to build mangonels and springalds

what if Abbassid had cheaper rams in dark age, if they cost 150 wood? with a build limit of 2 or 3?