About buildings size, please devs

Thankfully its on steam and they have removed the other win10 store exclusive bs that they used to show some years ago so yes, I will most likely try it out and if I find out that it is in this exact state with all the issues that I see, I will certainly refund it and leave a very negative review.

1 Like

Honesty, im dont sure. These small details destroy my immersion. As i said, when i was a boy i had problems with games as Tzar for this reason. This depends on the way of being of each person, ones can acept it and anothers no.

5 Likes

Yeah I think there needs to be some tweaking for sure. But keeping a good balance for easy readability.

Yes i fully agree, building should be huge and rotatable

The tower looks very small and toy-like, can be ran over by an elephant.
Big compliments on the stone walls tho. They might be a bit too thick but overall size is very pleasing

12 Likes

Castle from a free to play browser game :smiley:

vs

Castle in AoE4 :smiley:

12 Likes

God!, just something like that I was dreaming when they announced AOE4 (Iā€™m talking about the first image, seeing the image below gets me down)

4 Likes

I hope they really do increase the size of buildings. It doesnā€™t have to be perfect, but itā€™s for some of the buildings to be much larger than they actually are. I hope this is the case.

Age of Empires typically has a good balance between realistic size and the size-scaled down for gameplay.

12 Likes

arguably it would be far better to decrease the size of the units. Judging from the AoE IV trailers we have the total map size seems similar to AoE3. Having bigger buildings would constrain the flexibility you would have placing down structures relative to the speculated map size we are seeing.

2 Likes

Ok canā€™t say much about the gameplay till now but when i see the proportion of the units compared to buildings and the sizes of bushes it worries me or maybe even sickens me.

Please at least make the units and bushes 20% smaller. iā€™m pretty sure i wonā€™t get over 40hrs playtime otherwise.

I donā€™t need the best graphics i need proportions and big maps. ffs canā€™t be that heavy.

(where i have thousands of hours in various RTS titles.)

7 Likes

The unit size in the X019 gameplay trailer looked just right.
Why were they upsized so much ?
Now this game is starting to look comical.

7 Likes

It is very difficult to tell small units apart/click on them. Age units have always been comically gigantic.

6 Likes

I would agree. I donā€™t know they would increase the size of units. Iā€™ve heard they did thatā€¦ WHY? Every other game have units much smaller in proportion. People donā€™t have a problem with it in Age 2.

3 Likes

Yes!, i insist that game in general could profit from an increase in building sizes (both area/surface and height)

As stated in my latest reply, I understand perfect proportion/ realism isnĀ“t the goal and that devs are pointing to simplified graphics in order to not overwhelm the player. But i think that more proportion isnā€™t going against that objective

Walls are perfect, but letā€™s take a look on some buildings:

Barracks (i think)

The towers in the barracks are incredible small and fells out of place, sort of speaking

Barracks again and (castle?)

As you can see, the house un the bottom right is bigger than the barracks.

On the other side, doors are much more smaller than a soldier

Castle and elephants:

Here is clear the disproportion of units/buildings. Each Elephant is 1/5 equivalent of castleā€™s surface, not to mention the height.

Archery range (again, i supose):

The archery range is lacking is the same than barracks. I think that in military buildings the reduction in area and height is more notorious than in civil buildings but anyway i think both (civil and military buildings) are smaller than they should.

Lastly, letā€™s take a look at imperial chinese archery range and barracks:

I believe this last two images are the best example of disproportion between units and buildings.
On one side, the crossbowmen reach the roof the archery range. On the other side, the barracks looks reeeaaaaally small in that last one image, compared to soldiers, to the point of being really unsightly to the eye.

17 Likes

Did they shrink the buildings or did they just enlarge the units?
Hopefully it will be easy to change the scale of units as an option.

2 Likes

Proposing smaller humans, smaller elephants, proportionate increase on all buildings, vertical scale on all buildings. slightly smaller stonewalls (humans on walls would be smaller too)

2 Likes

Just x1.5 the buildings and it will look alot better. no resize needed for units. still need some readability for it

6 Likes

I would honestly agree. Roughly about x1.5 to x1.7 maybe for some buildings is needed to make it look good.

It looks like Iā€™m playing a 4x game. I know that Age games arenā€™t necessarily aimed at being immersive experiences, its extremely awesome with the levels of immersion that we already have. Age of Empires players, maybe all except for Age 1, are used to larger building sizes so I hope the devs really respond to this one and delivers us this type of immersion that weā€™re used to.

5 Likes

I totally agree. At first i tought that 20% (1.2x) increase in size was ok but after watching the gameplay trailer several times i saw some buildings too small

So 1.5x-1.7x increase in buildings will be perfect. For example, in barracks, archery range and stables i believe that 1.7x increase is necesary.

6 Likes

I feel that in many cases is just that they donā€™t use the whole space the building has, like in the first mongol image. In other Age games you can see how the walls or main structure of most buildings occupy all the edges of their hitboxes. In this barrack itā€™s clear the amount of unused space when comparing the building with the hitbox that it has.
image_LI
I think that the building area may not even need to increase very much or at all, itā€™s just that the building doesnā€™t seem to occupy this area efficiently. In that case, many of these buildings could just need a rescaling towards their current unused edges. Others could need a remodel, like stables, which are mostly a corral that could be made smaller to fit a bigger main building. Barracks could also reduce the distance of the main building and itā€™s towers to enlarge it even more.
Hereā€™s an example with a stable and an archery range

The archery range could move the tower to be part of the corner of the main building, and the targets could be placed in the other direction, giving more space to make a bigger building.
The stable seems to waste a lot of space. Alongside making a bigger main building they could add a noticeable hay and water fountain for the horses in the corral to distinguish it from other buildings.

Here this tower seems to have its sprite limits in those square stones surrounding it. those could be scrapped and enlarge the tower to these edges.

10 Likes

So i think we got three variables:

• Building area
  • Building Height
  • Building occupied surface (OS)

Building area: i think anyway you can increase the building area at least 10-15%

Building Height: This is the biggest issue, an increase in 50% is needed. 70% in some buildings

Building OS: It depends of the case and itā€™s hard to put it in numbers right now, but in some buildings the OS can be updated to an avg of 90% for all buildings.

2 Likes