Adding Aztecs for AOE4

Have you noticed that they would only fight each other and that they would be isolated from the rest of the world? Not to mention that they are quite similar sides already and if they only fought each other, the campaign would get monotonous.
Spain must be their link with the rest of the world.

7 Likes

Nope, you could argue the same with European factions. It would be quite monotonuous to just see French against English but here we are.

1 Like

European civilizations not only fought each other. They also interacted with the Arab and Asian world,

6 Likes

To be honest, if they were to add Spanish, I would want it to be in a Reconquista themed DLC, with Portuguese, Castillans, Aragonese and Cordobans/Andalusi.

Everyone always adds in Iberians as invaders, when they were some of the first people to experience Colonialism in the flesh, in the Middle Ages.

4 Likes

Regardless on how they do Aztecs, I hope it’s going to be one of the first DLCs. Should have been a base game faction to be honest.

2 Likes

I disagree, they would have not fit into any of the base game campaigns, which is what the intended design was, and why there are only 8 civs to begin with.

5 Likes

One occasional crusade and being ravaged by Mongols, but most of the time they were on their own fighting their feuds and pretending to be the next Roman empire.

2 Likes

False, they interacted more than you might believe with the Arab world. Crusaders were also present in the Spanish reconquest. And they also had their successes against the Mongols, although if they had not had them it would not matter. A defeat is also a military interaction. And you’re putting it on the level of the Americans who didn’t even interact.

7 Likes

Doesn’t change the fact that most wars were fought amongst each other, which is pretty natural. The contact between the French and China is rather limited, but here they are, both in the same game, at launch, while powerful entities like the Incas, which had a huge impact on their continent, are simply discarded, left out as at best expansion afterthoughts.

Same can be said about Mali, which would be, following your logic, a prime canditate for a base game civ, considering what an impact they had on world economy.

1 Like

Those gatekeepers would be wrong.

Take Age of Empires 1 for example. I think it’s 100% ok to add the Olmec Civilization into the game, the most important earliest known Mesoamerican Civilization-Empire to exist. Just because they never contacted any other civilization inside the current game, doesn’t mean they didn’t exist during the same time period.

I hate it that we need this “For a civ to exist it needs to be connected in the timeline somehow, even indirectly. For example, Civ A only had contact with Civ B, but Civ B had contact with Civs C through H therefore Civ A can exist in this game”.

That’s stupid. My philosophy is “if it exists during the timeline, even unconnected, then it should exist in the game”. We don’t need to touch the Early Renaissance period, outside of the Middle Ages like Age 2 did, to justify putting Aztecs into the game. Just put the Aztecs into the game, we don’t need conquistadors.

6 Likes

Most of the wars of ALL cultures were fought against each other. That does not mean that they occasionally fought to either invade or defend against foreign invasions.

The point you don’t seem to understand is that the Americans didn’t have the option to interact because they were isolated.

The French did not interact with China, but China did interact with Mongols, Arabs, and Indians. On the other hand, French people interacted with Arabs, English, Germans, etc … Both factions must be in the game even if they did not interact with each other because they interacted with others.

But the Americans did not interact with others, not a lot or a little, NOTHING.

5 Likes

Couldn’t agree more with you Toning.

2 Likes

I’ll give you another example of a civilization we could have exist in Age of Empires 4, but probably wouldn’t… The Kingdom of Zimbabwe. Which is a very southern inner-African civilization that basically had extremely little contact with anything outside of it’s geographical region. This could totally work for AOE 4 even though it had 0% contact with any in-game civilization. Same goes for Aztecs. Aztecs inside the Middle Ages had 0% contact with anyone outside of the Americas.

I just don’t know why we need “indirect/direct outside contact” justification for a game that will let the Chinese and Russians fight a team of Celts and Japanese on an Italian map setting. (Assuming these civs ever exist, or use Age 2 as an example)

6 Likes

They at least would have comparable technology, and chances of winning, with armies of 100 units.

5 Likes

Regardless of which AOE game it would get, I would absolutely love Zimbabwe being part of it. There’s a lot of unexplored story potential on that regard:

3 Likes

That’s very true, I understand the sentiment of wanting something balanced.

I mean we can all agree that generally speaking, in the High Middle Ages the average British Army could easily defeat the Aztec Empire. Although this game takes us to alt-historical levels of like putting the 2 in different terrain, on an even unit playing field etc.

This is just a game at the end of the day. While the Mayans from Age 3 wouldn’t be able to topple a full comparable army of Germans it doesn’t mean the game shouldn’t let this exist.

Nonetheless we still don’t need the argument of “required indirect/direct contact from the outside” to justify a civilization put into the game that 100% existed parallel to every other civilization.

3 Likes

I want Nat-Am civs, I just want them to actually have good historicvally referencing design, instead of complete fantasy stats and units.

1 Like

That Renaissance map of South Africa is awesome. I would totally love for them to put the Medieval Kingdom of Zimbabwe into Age 4. Like I said it doesn’t require the strong outside connection argument to exist in the game. Even though it was virtually isolated from the other civs we know would be in the game, unless we see more African civs.

1 Like

Kinda off-topic, but this is how American civs could look like in AOE4:

Aztecs:

Inca:

Maya:

Mississippians:

11 Likes

Those are pretty cool looking, they definitely should use that styling

2 Likes