Additional shipments of my wish in AOE3

Oh I see, this “Blue Guards” should be scrapped. Originally, however, Giant Grenadiers aren’t available for Spain and Portugal

In m’y view, Spanish deserve their own version of Giant Grenadiers, for they relied on Walloon Guards(Guardias Valonas) to lead charges and covering retreats throughout the 18th Century(plus suppressing unrests like Motín de Esquillache). Similar to “Gentlemen-at-arms” for British, my proposal about this will be making it an Age 3 shipment, allowing the Explorer to train some Giant Grenadiers as his bodyguards (6 for Age 3, 10 for Age 4 and 14 for Age 5) :ceuta_and_melilla::grin::grin::grin:

For Portuguese, they can also hire Giant Grenadiers via Granadeiros da Rainha Maria, using 2,000 coins for 12 of them, but it will be one-time shipment in Age 4 :portugal::joy::joy::joy:

Finally, Mexicans can also hire Giant Grenadiers via Guardia de Los Supremos Poderes, using 2,000 coins for 8 of them, plus can be retrained in Forts and Saloons :mexico::grin::grin::grin:

Maybe increase there range to 15 when in the “stand ground” stance. This would be similar to the Nizam Fusilier’s 20 range ability when in this stance. And stop them from get decimated by hit and run tactics. To nerf this maybe reduce their speed to 3. This would fit historically as Redcoats were normally far superior when fighting in formal formations in open field terrain than they were against gorilla style encounters (notably in the American revolutionary war).

So to summarize

British Musketry (Age 4)
When in “Stand Ground” stance, British Redcoat Musketeers statistics change to…

• Rate-of-Fire increases to 1.5 (from 3)
  • Range increases to 15 (from 12)
  • Movement speed is reduced to 3 (from 4)

Hope this is clear :grin:

2 Likes

Yes this could work as a nice little buff for brits. They are usually a bit low on wood at the start of age 2 because of all their manor constructions so allowing them to train their most “standard unit”, Musketeers, makes sense. (Portugal already gets this option through a Age up option which allows them to train age two units at the TC)

Maybe create a create a HC card called…

King George’s Hanoverian Foot Guards - (1200 coin) (Age 3)

• Delivers 6 Black Brunswickers, 4 Giant Grenadiers, and 2 Drummers
  • Allies the House of Hanover at the Royal Embassy (Allowing the training and upgrading of Black Brunswickers, Totenkopf Hussar and Drummers).
  • Allow two new(ish) technologies to be researched in the Royal embassy…
    • Remanence of the Lion Heart (500 food) - allows the Explorer and Drummers to place an inspirational flag.
    • Royal Hanoverian Grenadier (500 coin) - sends 1 Giant Grenadier with every future shipment from the Home City.

My reason adding Giant grenadiers into this card is because they look the most similar to the Hanoverian Foot Guards, not for any other historical reason. The moment a better unit option is available id change it to that.

Ohhh that makes a lot more sense now

That’s a cool idea!!

Haha yes that’s a good amendment. Don’t want Ottoman’s to have two heavy cavalry with area-of-affect damage.

I think Gurkhas could be trainable but only in limited numbers, lets say 15-20. That would keep the majority of the British Army still looking native to the British Ilse, whilst still referencing and honouring the Gurkhas. As for Cuirassiers, like I said before they should be introduced like a Spahi unit (infinite HC Card).

Agreed

Yeah this would be a much more useful card if it were made infinite.

Although I like the historical reference, wouldn’t it be weird to add a new archaic melee unit as only unlockable in the Fortress Age. Especially if it only fits just into the beginning of the AOE3de timeframe.

If we are after another anti-cav infantry for the British I’d suggest a “Highland Clearance” card that just allows the training of Highlanders in the Barracks.

2 Likes

Here comes my amendment: 2,000 coins for 10 Guard Cuirassiers (Age 4, Infinite)

1 Like

I really like those french age 3 native shipments and changdao splash, would be a dream come true.

Do they benefit from the cards that buff musk as well or is that specific to British musks?

1 Like

Team musketeer/grenadier hp affects highlanders.
Iirc the other two only affect musketeer the unit, not the tag.

2 Likes

If you ask me what I think, I’ll say I don’t like this kind of design very much.
I don’t think Explorers can have the ability to train mercenaries. An explorer who sneaks into the back of your base can also become overly threatening because of it.

Although the civs most likely don’t need these new things, if you just want to mention those historical references through cards, here is an easier way.

• Gentlemen-at-arms: Ships 13 Consulate Halberdiers named “Gentlemen-at-arm” or “Beefeater”; make they trainable at Forts (Forts only!) ; costs 500 food, 500 wood.
    (To make this card be like a Legion card of US.)
  • Cent Suisse: Ships 12 Swiss Pikemen; makes Swiss Pikemen trainable at Tavern (Tavern only!) and costs -10%; costs 1,000 coin.
    (To replace the existing card “Hire Swiss Pikemen”.)
  • Walloon Guards: Ships 8 Consulate Grenadiers named “Walloon Guard” and speaking Dutch or French; enables the effect of “Grenade Launchers”; cost 1,000 food.
    (To replace the existing card “Grenade Launchers” for Spanish. The raise of Walloon Guards was modeled after the French Guards.)

The Portuguese one can be similar to the Spanish one, rather than providing Giant Grenadiers. I believe they had nothing to do with those Germans.

They have Soldados. Just make this card better have something to do with Soldados rather than with those Germans.

No.
This is enough to replace the use of Rangers in many cases.

As long as Gurkhas are a regular Indian unit instead of a mercenary unit, I don’t like and don’t think it’s appropriate to allow the British to train them. Even being a mercenary unit, they should only be trainable at Tavern.

It would be nice if there was a Home City card that would allow you to train these units for British civ in military buildings (at least in Forts):

1. Highlander
  2. Irish Brigadier

This way British civs would gain access to Irish and Scottish content, making them even more British than they are curently - as all British units are English.

3 Likes

Do you think they could work as an infinite shipment then ??

Royal Gurkha Regiment (Age 4)
Sends 15 consulate Gurkhas from the home city for a price of 500 coin.

Considering Indian currently get access to an infinite 2 Rockets HC cards, I don’t think the British having an infinite Gurkha card would be too disbalanced.

2 Likes

Yeah I really agree with you here. The British civ for AOE3 was meant to be a continuation civ combining the Britons and Celtic civs together from AOE2 but it became more resemblant of the English Britons then it did the Scottish or Irish Celts, sadly. The addition of Highlanders, Irish Brigadiers or even a new Scots Grey unit could really be a nice way to include All of the four major nations that make up the British Ilse. (RIP Wales - maybe make a new tech for longbows called “Welsh Bow” which increases the rate of fore or maybe gives longbowmen the stealth ability).

The Home City “Yeomen” card is for the Longbowmen. The name of this HC card does not suit archers at all. I think it is this HC card that should be renamed “Welsh Bow”. In addition, the icon of this HC card would get a completely new look - a Welsh dragon with a bow underneath.

1 Like

Welsh bow… maybe it can be renamed as “Saethwyr(shooters in Cymru, perhaps)” if real Cymru(Welsh) name is necessary :wales:😁😁😁

1 Like

10% more resistances in all forms for Soldados/Cruzob Infantries instead, maybe :mexico::joy::joy::joy:

I see, maybe this can be replaced by “Anti-Toungoo/Burmese Expedition”, that is…1,000 coins for 16 Rodeleros and can be retrained in Forts since Age 3 likewise , for the majority of this sort of expeditions are shielded swordsmen right after the 16th Century kicked off :portugal::thailand::crossed_swords::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Maybe a more appropriate Welsh shipment could be ‘Welah Miners’ as on the military side they were more or less amalgated as British.

Ships a number of Miner units (same as scenario unit, but speaking Welsh, mind) which are very efficient (prolong the life of a mine) in mining but that is there sole purpose. They have an ability to Retire Miner which when clicked they say their goodbyes and disappear (maybe with some Coin on leaving) to free up your pop when those mines go.

Yeah I like this idea but instead of just shipping Welsh Miners have it allow the training of Welsh Miners (costing 250 food) in the TC (with a build limit of 5) and allow welsh Miners to slowly train Coal Prospector Wagons (build limit 2). Coal Prospector Wagons will cost 400 food and 100 wood to train and have a gather rate of twice that of a normal mine. Along with the Welsh Miners having a double fast gather rate of coin, 5 Welsh Miners on 1 coal mine should have the same gather rate as 20 settlers on a normal mine. This would really help the British economy as I always seem to be running low on coin when I play Brits.

P.s if this was introduced Brits max settler pop would have to be reduced to 90 (from 99)

1 Like

The cost is too cheap. It has to be 1000 coin at least.
Even at a cost of 1000 coin, it still can likely ship 12 or 13 Consulate Gurkhas at most.
You can refer to the “13 Cherokee Allies” infinite card since they will be pretty similar.
And your card will be stronger than the 13 Cherokee Allies since the Consulate units won’t need the “Legendary Native Warriors” upgrade.

Give this Consulate Rodelero a fitting Portuguese name.

Ahhh yeah you’re right I forgot that the 13 Cherokee Rifleman card had a 1000 coin cost. For some reason I thought that card was free, maybe because the 2 infinite rocket one is idk (I just haven’t really used Cherokee Riflemen since Rangers entered the game). The Gurkha card then should cost 1500 coin for 15 then (but not have a build limit like Cherokee Riflemen).

Like the ideas. It also re-enforces the idea that these aren’t a super halberdier or anything fantastic for the Brits - more that it fills that unit type with a halberdier-esque unit the British (or rather English) used in droves in lieu of Halberdiers.

1 Like