Against the "no TC zone" for the mongols, get a better fix that makes sense

Buddy, you aren’t even in the leaderboards, so your opinion is already sus af. Why don’t you show us some replays (or strats) on how you defended it.

And even if it’s easy to defend (it’s not), it’s not a particularly engaging or immersive strategy. And that alone is grounds to change it, which has been my point here. Force relic to make a change that actually is based on some sort of reality.

Just as I feared the devs took the easy way out and just put a restriction into effect that arbitrarily limits the TC placement for mongols.

This is unprofessional, screams “temporary fix” and I hope it gets replaced by a more intelligent solution ASAP.

Fix the speed bug, perhaps move it to feudal.
Just to show there are other possibilities (the bugged tech needs to be fixed nonetheless):

• Move the speed tech to feudal age.
  • Introduce snare for mongol carriages, meaning they get slowed down significantly when under attack.
  • Remove burning protection for all TCs and instead add a tech for feudal in the TC that adds it back. Burning buildings should be unable to pack/unpack.
8 Likes

Introducing snare to all carriages would make base relocation and rebuilding while under seige pretty impossible which should be one of the perks of the civ. Definitely just move the speed tech to feudal though. This magic TC exclusion zone is very dumb.

1 Like

There could be a tech in feudal that removes it. Or the faster movement speed tech for carriages could include a snare removal, it needs to be pushed to feudal though.

2 Likes

These kinds of artificial limits make the game feel more stale and predictable and get rid of that magic ‘anything can happen’ feeling that is so unique to RTS and AOE. I felt the same when they added building range indicators to AOE2 DE.

2 Likes

The speed upgrade is (and remains) bugged. All they had to do to begin with is make it 50% instead of 150% speed boost…

What they did now isn’t even a proper fix. It’s a clear band aid…

2 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree. I hope this is a bandaid and will be fixed later with a quality solution like OP suggested.

You should be able to attempt bad strategies, tactics, and creative stuff like this. Don’t just completely remove possibilities—boring!

Question for the devs: Did you consider free for all games when making the decision on how you were going to address the mongol TC drush? Because if being Enemy is the only requisite, in FFA games, those can change. You could befriend someone, get close, then declare war on him/her.

So it makes me wonder how far can this fix go. Maybe there’s a better way to approach this? Question for all, as I don’t have any good options.

Why would they consider something not even present in the game? In FFA everyone spawns with enough distance but your scenario can‘t take place as there is no diplomacy yet.

2 Likes

Even when it is not currently present, it’s been a long-standing play mode in all AoE games so far, so I would imagine it may very well appear in upcoming releases.

I personally would consider the “TC rush fix” bad practice in balancing at its’ finest.

Balancing is not to dull the blade in a sense of making hardcoded restriction (not allowed to produce more than X number of these units, not allowed to put it here and there) but to encourage counterplay.

For example, beeing insanely fragile on the move while packed up with shared % values of HP or heck even putting the timing for the packup speed on Feudal.
As far as we know, the packup speed gives too much speed anyway, so maybe it would’ve fixed itself after slowing this down as well, since your scout/villager can finally keep up with the mongol TC racing?

Nevertheless, not a fan of these hardrestriction they’ve put in there.
It was an interesting mechanic.

3 Likes

I agree. This “fix” doesn’t seem to be in line of balancing more than restricting. Moving the speed tech to feudal would be a great choice. Maybe swap it with another tech.