Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition Getting Return of Rome DLC

Also they added team bonus but no UU or UT and I think Shang’s faster attacking cav is new?

Oh neat Koreans already were part of the AoE1 roster

Low effort as expected.
-No UU
-No UT
-No new civs

1 Like

I think that’s deliberate. I wouldn’t want these either.

The only low effort part is these shields.

I don’t mind having no UU or UT and I think it might be better for start. It’s nice to see that some civs will get extra bonuses. However it’s sad that there will be no new civs according to that picture, but I hope there will be some new techs and new units or some upgrades to existing ones such as axeman and scout etc…

4 Likes

Bruh , It’s a demo from November, they were testing. It is not a final edition or anything.

3 Likes

Just saying it’s low effort. No judgments. : P

2 Likes

How can you know if all we got is a month and a half old screenshot from demo test. Ofc they aren’t releasing their ideas because they have something planned. Even the announcement was made by mistake so you can’t possibly know, it’s like a top secret project :smiley:

1 Like

Well of course this won’t be coming with new civs. It’s better and safer to get things running with the old ones and make sure it all works and is balanced. Nobody would instantly know what additions like gates, proper queues, walkable farms, garrisoning, formations etc etc would do. I am almost certain we will see new civs, but much later down the line, if this version of AoE1 proves to be the best that game can do.

6 Likes

It seems to me that the premiere of this DLC can take place with the addition of AoE 2 DE to consoles.
Prolonging the release of this DLC after its announcement seems pointless to me, and the premiere of AoE 2 DE for consoles is a great opportunity to release RoR DLC - then literally this day would become a holiday for AoE 2 fans.

1 Like

Not sure what you mean but this is assuming the screenshot is legit.

Yes, it makes sense, it is easier to balance each game separately than to mix both…If not the civs of AoE 2 would mercilessly devastate the civs of AoE 1: example the Gothic spam, the Spanish conquistadors, the Portuguese organ guns and the Sicilian Donjon sergeants spam…

That’s right…

Of course, it always was… obviously appealing to the Korean public that plays a lot RTS since the 90s…

Yes, they still want to remain the most faithful to aoe 1 and not turn it into a copy set in the antiquity of aoe 2, as happens with mythology with respect to aoe 2 or with aoe online with respect to aoe 3…

Of course, eventually if the dlc triumphs they will put more civs to the roster of aoe 1 (example Celts, Mauryas, Olmecs, Chavin, Aksum among other more)…

You guys are the reason why they don’t want screenshots from the Beta to be leaked.

You are now assuming that whatever happened in the Beta over a month ago will exactly happen like that in the release version of the DLC next year.

Let’s assume there were no unique units in the Beta.
That doesn’t mean there will be none on the release version. They might just have tested the balance and all the other systems first before adding unique units.
Maybe they wanted some player feedback and wanted to know if people even want unique units before adding them.

Betas are there to test things, but players keep forgetting that.

7 Likes

At the same time, you have to wonder if people would react the same way if the devs communicated more.

4 Likes

The Celts very much were a thing during medieval times. Irish, Scottish, Welsh and other Britonnic kingdoms all existed for centuries after Rome fell. Even the Picts (who the Celts civ seem to be based on) had kingdoms well into the Middle Ages before being replaced by the Scots. For example, the kingdom of Fortriu lasted until the 9th/10th century AD. The Woad Raider is anachronistic though.

The Franks definitely did use throwing axes during medieval times, for example under the reign of Charlemagne in the 8th century AD. They used Francisca axes though, not the double axes they use in game.

The Bengali chariot UU specifically does seem a bit anachronistic, although the chariot was definitely used in parts of South Asia (such as modern-day Sri Lanka) in the medieval era. So overall I’d say that ancient-based aspects are very rare in the game.

Personally I’m against adding Western Romans because I think the focus should be on adding civs which built powerful empires during the medieval period, not on adding civs which declined immediately as the period began.

2 Likes

… Because UU and UT would not impact balance?

1 Like

From what I could find, chariots were still used in parts of South Asia during the 8th Century at the latest. Probably for the same reasons as their creation in the Middle East and Western Europe centuries earlier, the breeds of horses available were just not built for riders.

1 Like

This is a very interesting picture, and even if it’s a leak, it’s about time we got at least some information.
For clarity, is this from the beta, or something? Where was this picture taken from?

1 Like

Well, this confirms the leaks I’ve been able to found, and it seems the devs will be pretty conservative about the new content.

Of course they do.
UTs are a different thing. They are basically a delayed civilisation bonus, they could just turn one of the bonus into a technology.

I mean they can test if some other things change up the balance, for example Tool Age balance is independent of unique units.

If Unique Units are Iron Age only (which would make sense) then Bronze Age balance would also not be affected by them either.

So Unique Units would need a second beta for sure.

1 Like