Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition Getting Return of Rome DLC

Ooooh good point ! i didn’t think about that!

I don’t know what to think about romans civs added to aoe2. I wish have north american natives civs.

2 Likes

Everything would be clear if they would explain what they exactly tend to do, if I am to guess I would imagine it will be separate game mode with its own rules, civs, units and techs.

6 Likes

The only thing we have to go off is this single picture. We need to take some clues from it, right?

Man in the centre is a Centurion. I think this must be a potential Civ for the Western Roman Empire to differentiate it from the Byzantines, who are the Eastern Roman Empire. This Civ will replace the Byzantines in the Alaric & Attila campaigns (pretty much all the missions set in Italy & France).

What could be some potential campaigns? Aetius? Western vs Eastern Roman Empire?

Guy on the left looks either Babylonian or Persian, indicating that there would be another campaign for an AoK Civ that never had one. Persians vs Byzantines, Saracens (think the Apranik custom voiced campaign), Turks, Tatars & Hindustanis are all possibilities.

Guy on the right is clearly an Egyptian Pharaoh. Ancient Egypt may seem too far back, but is there anything between the fall of Rome & the Islamic conquest of Egypt that might be of interest?

1 Like

No no, they clearly stated in a video it would be a porting of AoE1 to AoE2 DE’s engine.

8 Likes

I don’t really think AoE 1 and AoE 2 civs will be mixed, it will almost for sure a completely different game mode. I just hope that this is not going to end up as 1 to 1 port and devs instead try to use AoE 1 as a starting point and then add units and techs so to make the gameplay closer to the AoE 2 standards. There’s a lot of potential here if things are done right.

1 Like

Really, which video? A Twitch stream?

You can find the relevant part here.

Admitteldy we don’t know much yet about how it’ll work, but we DO know it won’t be about the Middle Ages.

I think Egypt was mostly Christianized and under Byzantine (Eastern Roman) rule in that period.

2 Likes

Egypt was never christianized lol what

As if it makes much sense for the Huns to play against the Portuguese, or the Mayans against the Koreans.
Come on, it’s a game, bring new civilizations and campaigns to the game, they already have my money

2 Likes

This is utterly the dumbest argument for everything when it comes to speculation or people critiquing games :yawning_face:

2 Likes

Really? Have you heard of Coptic Christianity? It was a big thing in Egypt in the centuries before the Muslim conquest.

13 Likes

good point.

and we already have the huns, an antic civ.

…Yes it did. Did you think the Egyptians were still worshipping Ra and Isis in the 7th century when they were conquered by the Arabs? One of the five patriarchs of the christian pentarchy even had his seat in Alexandria.

It’s only a part of the problems. We were not told AoE1 civs would be ported to AoE2 DE’s engine, we were told AoE1 period. Which suggests those civs will still be playing with their original units, buildings and techs. The game would either end up being horribly unbalanced with so many civs not even being able to build castle, unless all Ancient time civs were only given medieval stuff which would be quite underwelming.

5 Likes

but it’s just like if we had GI soldiers in the age of empire 3.
The problem with your point is taht in this case, why not adding tanks and ww1 airplanes?
It’s not much nonsens that having mayans against hunnic

Will you buy a DLC which adds USA and Australia?

1 Like

If there is austrlian tribes, why not. fight incas against chinese, is not more nonsense than australian aboriginal vs frank

1 Like

return of rome is probably going to be a separate game mode based on aoe1 but with some aoe2 mechanics (unit formations for example)

8 Likes

Aboriginals should not be in aoe2 either.

1 Like

99% sure that we won’t get mixed gameplay of Return of Rome and AoE II DE.

11 Likes