Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition - The European Borderlands (DLC proposal)

It seems that we are going to have to agree to disagree because Vlachs were infinitely less noteworthy than Finns.

Not even comparable.

You cant even find names for Finnish rulers while Vlachs fought against the Ottomans. In terms of European civs Finns are like one of the worst possible additions, I cant even find any campaign potential.

2 Likes

Vlachs were basically pushed around by whoever happened to pass by in the area. I can’t fathom how a civ could be viable on this.

Yes, most of the times they were.

But honestly I prefer to have the Dracula civ who had at least some time as an inpedenpendent state over the nothing civ that is Finns.

I have already heard from some Finnish people that they dont want their own civ.

Well out of these options in this thread, I’d still go for Finns. I would find it a bit… boring to add both Serbs and Croats (no offense meant, but they’re just too close together for me to be added at once).

So I’d add Serbs.

Vlachs are just completely irrelevant as discussed.

So that leaves Finns as the other option.

2 Likes

What did Finns did beyond being conquered to not be as irrelevant then?

1 Like

Tbh Croats had a fairly okay-ish independent kingdom

2 Likes

Then they should have an own civilization not coupled with serbs.

1 Like

Honestly I get the feeling but by that standard theres a lot more left to add everywhere else

1 Like

Pretty sure serbocroats is not a real umbrella term.

Serbocroats would be politically correct option, but historically inaccurate. Serbia and Croatia were under one country during: Kingdom of Serbs Croats and Slovenes ruled by Serbian king and dynasty, and during Yugoslavia, both are beyond AOE time frame.

2 Likes

In game vise serbs can represent them too right?

Well Croats would be angry i can tell you that, but it makes more sense for both being represented as Serbia than any other option.
Case in point, as OP said for naval Unique Units: Kondura (Naval trash unit) and as i said Sagena longboat (similar to Viking Drakkar, it carried around 40 men). Both those ships were used by Narentines Narentines - Wikipedia or Narentines | Military Wiki | Fandom
Narentines or Pagania was early Serb small state that was mostly Adriatic pirates pillaging Venetians.
Croatia is more naval base country, and that region is under Croatian state currently even though ethnically it was Serbian, so maybe that can be some joint point…

2 Likes

This why I miss the good old days when slavs was the civi and everybody was angry.
angry indian voices in the background

Where did you get that? Vlachs were sedentary throughout the middle ages. They are the descendants of the Dacians, who were already sedentary at the time they were conquered by the Romans. They remained sedentary afterwards. You must be confusing Vlachs with a different group.

Not that there is anything wrong with being nomadic in and of itself of course, there are plenty of significant nomadic civs already in the game.

You should also refer to the other thread regarding the Finns. It pretty much came down to the Finns’ proponents not being able to find any meaningful basis for civ bonuses from their medieval history, and instead conceptualizing the civ around their Swedish or Slavic occupiers, or purely a fantasy civ. So what we essentially have here is a “Finnish in name only” civilization just to please people who want to fill a space on a map.

I’m repeating myself here, but if the Finns are added to this game, then there should be at least two dozen civs from Africa, Asia and the Americas added before them.

And if we’re going to have a limit of 40-50 civs in total in the game, then my only pick from this lot would be the Vlachs.

8 Likes

Literally any source about the Vlachs, anywhere, ever. They often got pushed around as they never had the numbers, not strength to firmly hold down to an area until late middle ages. The Dacians theory is just a theory, and it is disputed.

Yes, we have a lot of those

Ok yeah, I see you’re just trolling at this stage.

1 Like

Hmmm… We already have loads of eastern European civs, most of which aren’t that different from each other. The Serbs and Croatians proposed here look very similar to several civs already in the game. The Romanian proposal is rather incomplete - basically they have Genitours and a long line of sight for their Stables? As for Finns, so little is known about medieval Finland that any Finns civ would be essentially fictional.

I can get behind the suggestion of having more architectural variety, especially a Byzantine-style Monastery (although I think Chinese, Mongols, Koreans and Vietnamese are the most in need of a different Monastery). But other than that, I’m afraid I don’t really see the point of this.

Also, Dracula had at most almost nothing to do with Bran Castle.

5 Likes

Agreed. There was indeed enough European civs. I’d rather see one more civ (perhaps a Middle Eastern one I’m thinking such as the Nubians) being added.

3 Likes