Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition - Wild Fields (DLC proposal adding Poles civ and more!)

I would have called it Lions of the North, but it’s already taken by another game :wink:

1 Like

Wasn’t “Lion of the North” the epithet of a Swedish monarch?

Yes. It is. It was simply a joke, since the latest Europa Universalis DLC was about Scandinavia, Poland and other countries of that region. So this DLC for aoe3 would be thematically very similar.

2 Likes

Because Poland has never had outstanding artillery (navy also).

Axeman and Archer are much more suited to Eastern European climates than Pikemen and Crossbowmen - especially Crossbowmen.

Only the reforms of King Stanisław August Poniatowski started to modernize the Polish Army, but it was too late. The fact is that the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth was a terribly backward country. I thought Musketeers could become available for training after choosing a suitable elective ruler (e.g. Wettins).

These units would make the Russians even more “Eastern European”, i.e. true Russians.

How is that supposed to be offensive to these civs? I am a Pole who knows the realities of those times in Eastern Europe and I know that it was really hard here. The idea of ​​the influence of certain military units or Heroes on working settlers is historically correct and interesting. These units could grant a villager aura which would make villagers more effective.

But did you know that the Oprichnik was a kind of entity that was supposed to persecute its own citizens, not enemies?

Do you realize that in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth the peasants were the property of the Szlachta? The Szlachcic could sell them or use corporal punishment on them, etc… .

It was simply not colorful in Eastern Europe and I want Eastern Europe to be presented in a real way. Civilizations from this region should be more backward than Western European ones and at the same time less qualitative. The feature of civilization from this area should therefore be quantity, not quality.

Russia has strelets, the cheapest and most cost efficient skirmisher in the game, why would they use an archer instead? Russia has also super cheap musketeers (and later halberdier), why would they use an axeman? Thats my argument… it doesnt add value to their unitcomposition.

Im aware, that most of history wasnt a super fun time to be arround. But…

1. this game is not and will never be historical accurate
  2. this game doesnt focus on the exploitation of peoplegroups and is certainly the wrong platform/media to do so
  3. adding such a mechanic to eastern european civ exclusive would be insulting, because exploitation happend all around the world, but if u only portray eastern europe this way, you reinforce typical (westerneuropean) historical stereotypes connected to this area. For example: “bachwards” “cruel” “unjust/tyrannical” “slavs=slaves”. Just because u dont consider it insulting, doesnt give the developers or the game a freepass on this

I know about the oprichnik and the szlachta, but if you want to add such a mechanic its better to use buildings and not military units. (as said before) oprichnicks are effected by “gather all troops hotkey” so its too microinsentive to send them back to the fields every time. They also use populationslots. So if u really want to avoid this and just dislike buildings for whatever reason, you need a civilian unit to do the boost (-> prelate in aoe4) … hell, you can even name it oprichnik and rename the original unit (concept is still insulting). But if we take a closer look at the prelate, we see, that boosting the economy is just not enough to make the unit interessting. The prelate also fullfills the other tasks of monks.

p.s.: if u guys are into historical accuracy, how about: whenever a european civ enters the game, 90% of american natives will die of disease.
Or: enemy powers can “bribe” the polish civ and select its next age up politician; in age 5 they can decide to split it into 3 parts

…historical accuracy is cool for some parts, but most of the time not worth it

1 Like

Well, one of “minor civ” will be the Opryshki. Also for him will be a hero Oleksa Dovbush

¿Cuál piensas que podrian sacar en vez?

Polonia-Lituania (recuerda que ésta ocupó toda Europa Oriental:Ucrania,Bielorrusia,los países bálticos,Prusia y la misma Polonia)…luego los países nórdicos faltantes:o sea Dinamarca-Noruega y con eso Europa estaría completa (a los Suizos no los cuento por ser tan neutrales xd)…

2 Likes

obraz
Cham

Archer

obraz

Axeman (use Bardiche)

2 Likes

Kurp

Kosynier (a peasant armed with a scythe - avilable by Home City card)

4 Likes

[quote=“MUTYLATOR5553, post:36, topic:223423, full:true”]
obraz
Cham

obraz

Archer

obraz

Axeman (use ################## [/quote]

I am definitely convinced that such units are much more suited to Russians and Poles civs (+ Ruthenians civ) than Pikeman and Crossbowman. They just have an Eastern European vibe.

Cham’s also presents the realities of Eastern Europe in a great way, and the mechanics of the “control aura” presents the realities of feudalism, which in Poland turned into a Folwark system and in Russia into Samoderzhaviye.

BTW. People will complain that it will be necessary to leave Oprichnik or Szlachcic among the villagers to work efficiently. I think that the mechanics of “control aura” proposed by me should remain for these units (Szlachcic in Poles civ and Oprichnik in Russians civ). HC cards could give a stat boost (including HP and performance) for Cham’s. I’m also thinking about a technology unique to these civs in the Capitol - Abolition of Serfdom. This technology would turn all Cham’s into normal Settlers (but the skin model would remain the same) and it would also replace all Cham’s tech and HC cards with Settlers (previously used HC cards would change to their counterparts in other civs that have standard Settlers).

2 Likes

Archer could be replaced with a more modern unit with:

• Russians civ - Northern Musketeer from HC Card (like Landwehr from Germans civ)
  • Poles civ - Skirmisher thanks some elective ruler coming from Western Europe

Axeman - this is a unit that is a great fit for these civs regardless of the times

2 Likes

Of course, there is a very historically correct politician for this: the Elector of Saxony, a German sovereign who gives the Poles access to a unit that for the Germans is their royal guard.

1 Like

Free Election

Unique Age Up for Polish civs (generally very similar to Politician mechanics, known from other European civs.

Candidates for Age 2

1. Ivan the Terrible - Ships 1 Blockhouse Wagon + 2 Oprichnik’s
  2. Henry III de Valois - Ships 2 Coureur des Bois + 250 food
  3. Polish Nobleman - Ships Folwark Wagon + 2 semi-fattened Cows
  4. Papal Vicar - Ships Church Wagon + 300 XP
  5. Merchant from Gdansk - Ships 1 Caravel and 100 coin

Candidates for Age 3

1. Gustavus Adolphus - Ships 6 Caroleans + You can train Leather Cannon in Artillery Foundry and Forts
  2. Sigismund III Vasa - Ships 1 Covered Wagon + 2 Homestead Wagon
  3. Polish Nobleman - Ships Folwark Wagon + 4 Cham’s
  4. Lithuanian Nobleman - Ships 4 Tatar Lipka
  5. Cossack Ataman - You can train Cossack Daredevil in Stable and Fort’s

Candidates for Age 4

1. Augustus II the Strong - Ships 1 Battery Tower + Archer are fully replaced with Skirmisher at the Barracks, Forts, Home City, and on the map
  2. Jan III Sobieski - Ships 5 Winged Hussars + You can train Winged Hussars in Outpost
  3. Polish Nobleman - Ships Folwark Wagon + 4 Cham’s and 4 semi-fattened Cows
  4. Voivode - Ships 4 Homestead Wagon
  5. Primate of Poland - Increases Church building limit +2 + 250 XP

Candidates for Age 5

1. Stanisław August Poniatowski - You can train Musketeers in Forts + 1,000 XP
  2. Stanisław Leszczyński - You can train Kurp in Barracks, Forts and Outposts + 12 Kurp’s
  3. Thaddeus Kościuszko - Ships Thaddeus Kościuszko (General unit from USA civ) + All your Cham’s they become Kosynier
  4. Russian Ambassador - Ships 24 Strelets + 1 Heavy Cannon
  5. Polish Nobleman - Ships 2 Folwark Wagon + 1,500 coin
2 Likes

That’s what I thought about and used for the above proposal Age Up for civ Poles :joy:

1 Like

from a gameplay design russias infantry is already pretty well done, they have a cheap massable skirmisher useful into the lategame, they dont need or want more units in the same role unless its just a straight upgrade which would take away from its design.

1 Like

My very badly done potential cover for such a DLC. The idea was this:

• The Ukrainian Steppe with the burning Sitch located on a hill surrounded by a moat (here without moat and fire)
  • Three mounted warriors during the fight - a Polish winged hussar, a Tatar mounted archer and a Ukrainian mounted Cossack (these images come from the Compendium section).

Looks great :+1:.

Gah, I’d really would love to see a plundering Cossack Hetmanate civ!

1 Like

I feel like the Poles really should have a more fleshed out Barracks system, I’d suggest actually giving them a proper range of European barracks units.

We can do Crossbowman/Pikeman/Musketeer (as Musketeers in the style of Western Europe apparently replaced Hajduks by the middle of the 1600s)/Poruchik (yeah that’s right, Poland had these as well, but spelt as “Porucznik”)/Skirmisher. They could Royal Guard the Musketeer as the Piesza Koronna. Yeah that’s not really how Poland works in many games with its heavy focus on cavalry, but whatever, I like it. Besides, the Duchy of Warsaw, Napoleonic client state as it was, still had many regiments of chasseurs and line infantry, so the gunpowder roster is okay.

As for the Stable, the Winged Hussar must obviously be there…but since the House of Vasa already recruits it as is, the full civ version could be called the Companion, since “ Towarzysz” is too damn hard to spell. If that sounds bullshit, see: Inca Huaminca vs. Plumed Spearman. Make them an Age III unit, and a Lancer-type equivalent of the Cuirassier—high damage, great HP, stupid good multipliers against light infantry, but horrifically expensive and 3 Population space needed so their advantage over the Uhlan is not exactly large. Give ‘em the Dragoon and the Uhlan as well, with the former recieving a Royal Guard upgrade called “Szlachta”, since Dragoons were apparently a formal thing in Lithuania, and the Polish cavalry all used some sort of firearm regardless of Cossack, Hussar, or Uhlan status.

2 Likes

These units are not compatible with civ Poles. Crossbows have never been popular in Poland and pikemen were usually foreign mercenaries.

Musketeer as a unit in the Polish army appeared only thanks to the reforms of Stanisław August Poniatowski - the last king of PLC.

A better option would be a Home City card that would turn some archaic infantry unit into a Musketeer.

1 Like