Age of Empires Insider Program Guidelines & NDA

Hey!

We’ve noticed that there has been some confusion as to how much freedom you have in sharing the information that you come across as part of the Age Insider Program. As an Insider, you’ll be sent several materials via email on a recurring basis that contain information before it is available publicly, surveys and possible access to our various game testing phases. This means that you’ll be closer to the game’s development than the average person, coming across information that isn’t widely known.

To answer a few other questions, the game cannot be streamed, recorded, or otherwise shared at this time. Unfortunately, we’ll ask that conversations about testing phases - once they’re taking place - don’t occur in the Insider Discussion forum either.

To elaborate, here is the Non-Disclosure Agreement associated the Age Insider Program. This is what, as an Insider, you’ll have agreed to as part of the sign-up process.

Thank you for choosing to participate in the Age of Empires video game (“Game”) Insider Program (“Program”)! By registering for the Program, you’re telling us you’re eligible and willing to access and participate in previewing aspects of the Age of Empires video game, including early testing of the Game, and associated promotional and communication materials (collectively, the “Materials”) before they are rolled out to the general public, and providing feedback via web surveys, forums and other electronic means.

The Microsoft Services Agreement and Privacy Statement apply to your participation in this Program. You will need to login with your Gamertag.

The Program is open worldwide to individual persons who are 18 years and older at the time of enrolment and have a Microsoft Account (“MSA”). Void where prohibited by law.
To enroll in the Program, visit the Age of Empires site (https://ageofempires.com) and follow the instructions (if any further are given) for registration.

The Program and Game are confidential information of Microsoft unless stated otherwise. If you have a non-disclosure agreement (“NDA”) with Microsoft, then the terms of that NDA govern your confidentiality obligations with respect to this confidential information. Otherwise, you agree to never disclose the Game to anyone else, including other Program insiders, (unless a court or government orders you to) and to keep everything in the Program secret as you would your own confidential information.

Please keep in mind that features you see in this Program may change or be removed in the final version and those features should always remain confidential.
a. Do not take photos, videos, or audio recordings of the Game
b. Do not post photos, videos, or audio recordings of the Game on any venue.
c. Do not describe any part of the Game on any venue unless we’ve instructed you to
d. Do not allow others to watch you play the Game
e. Do not leave the Game running unattended.

You represent that you own or otherwise control any and all rights necessary for any submission of comments, suggestions, input, ideas, feedback or any materials relating thereto (“Feedback”) you provide through this Web site. You understand and agree that when you vote or submit Feedback on this Program, you grant to Microsoft full rights to use your Feedback as it sees fit, without any obligation or restriction of any kind, including, without limitation, any obligation or restriction related to intellectual property rights.

When you participate in the Program, you grant to Microsoft a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, unrestricted license, including sublicense rights, to any and all of your intellectual property rights in any form and/or of any type that is or may at some future time be associated with your Feedback to fulfill the terms of this license. No compensation will be paid with respect to Microsoft’s use of your Feedback. Microsoft is under no obligation to post or use your Feedback in connection with any product or service, and, if used, may remove and discontinue use of such Feedback at any time, at Microsoft’s sole discretion.

Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, or any ideas, samples, demos, or other works to which you do not want to grant the license set forth herein. If you send us ideas or works as part of your Feedback, please understand that Microsoft will not consider your Feedback as confidential or proprietary, and hereby disclaims any and all liability or obligation with respect to such submissions. You hereby release Microsoft and its employees, directors, customers and all others associated with Microsoft from any past, present or future liability or obligation, related directly or indirectly, to such Feedback.

You may unenroll from the program by unsubscribing at https://www.ageofempires.com/profile
Microsoft reserves the right to terminate your access to all or part of the Program at any time, without notice, for any reason whatsoever.

IMPORTANT NOTICE - Access to early test versions of the Game

You may be invited, at Microsoft’s discretion to download early versions of the Game and participate in test phases. Access to the early versions of the Game, test phases and the associated services will occur at Microsoft’s discretion and the times will be published on the Ageofempires.com website. These testing phases include experimental and early prerelease software. This means that you may experience occasional crashes and data loss. Some Xbox Live features may not work correctly. Since this Game is prerelease code, we cannot provide customer service in the traditional sense. However, data and Feedback as you play and enjoy the Game will help us improve and enhance the final product.

Just out of curiosity, why is it that we cannot discuss the game inside the forums? Shouldn’t this be the point of testing?

@jennywaboom said:
Hey!

We’ve noticed that there has been some confusion as to how much freedom you have in sharing the information that you come across as part of the Age Insider Program. As an Insider, you’ll be sent several materials via email on a recurring basis that contain information before it is available publicly, surveys and possible access to our various game testing phases. This means that you’ll be closer to the game’s development than the average person, coming across information that isn’t widely known.

To answer a few other questions, the game cannot be streamed, recorded, or otherwise shared at this time. Unfortunately, we’ll ask that conversations about testing phases - once they’re taking place - don’t occur in the Insider Discussion forum either.

To elaborate, here is the Non-Disclosure Agreement associated the Age Insider Program. This is what, as an Insider, you’ll have agreed to as part of the sign-up process.

Thank you for choosing to participate in the Age of Empires video game (“Game”) Insider Program (“Program”)! By registering for the Program, you’re telling us you’re eligible and willing to access and participate in previewing aspects of the Age of Empires video game, including early testing of the Game, and associated promotional and communication materials (collectively, the “Materials”) before they are rolled out to the general public, and providing feedback via web surveys, forums and other electronic means.

The Microsoft Services Agreement and Privacy Statement apply to your participation in this Program. You will need to login with your Gamertag.

The Program is open worldwide to individual persons who are 18 years and older at the time of enrolment and have a Microsoft Account (“MSA”). Void where prohibited by law.
To enroll in the Program, visit the Age of Empires site (https://ageofempires.com) and follow the instructions (if any further are given) for registration.

The Program and Game are confidential information of Microsoft unless stated otherwise. If you have a non-disclosure agreement (“NDA”) with Microsoft, then the terms of that NDA govern your confidentiality obligations with respect to this confidential information. Otherwise, you agree to never disclose the Game to anyone else, including other Program insiders, (unless a court or government orders you to) and to keep everything in the Program secret as you would your own confidential information.

Please keep in mind that features you see in this Program may change or be removed in the final version and those features should always remain confidential.
a. Do not take photos, videos, or audio recordings of the Game
b. Do not post photos, videos, or audio recordings of the Game on any venue.
c. Do not describe any part of the Game on any venue unless we’ve instructed you to
d. Do not allow others to watch you play the Game
e. Do not leave the Game running unattended.

You represent that you own or otherwise control any and all rights necessary for any submission of comments, suggestions, input, ideas, feedback or any materials relating thereto (“Feedback”) you provide through this Web site. You understand and agree that when you vote or submit Feedback on this Program, you grant to Microsoft full rights to use your Feedback as it sees fit, without any obligation or restriction of any kind, including, without limitation, any obligation or restriction related to intellectual property rights.

When you participate in the Program, you grant to Microsoft a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, unrestricted license, including sublicense rights, to any and all of your intellectual property rights in any form and/or of any type that is or may at some future time be associated with your Feedback to fulfill the terms of this license. No compensation will be paid with respect to Microsoft’s use of your Feedback. Microsoft is under no obligation to post or use your Feedback in connection with any product or service, and, if used, may remove and discontinue use of such Feedback at any time, at Microsoft’s sole discretion.

Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, or any ideas, samples, demos, or other works to which you do not want to grant the license set forth herein. If you send us ideas or works as part of your Feedback, please understand that Microsoft will not consider your Feedback as confidential or proprietary, and hereby disclaims any and all liability or obligation with respect to such submissions. You hereby release Microsoft and its employees, directors, customers and all others associated with Microsoft from any past, present or future liability or obligation, related directly or indirectly, to such Feedback.

You may unenroll from the program by unsubscribing at Profile - Age of Empires
Microsoft reserves the right to terminate your access to all or part of the Program at any time, without notice, for any reason whatsoever.

IMPORTANT NOTICE - Access to early test versions of the Game

You may be invited, at Microsoft’s discretion to download early versions of the Game and participate in test phases. Access to the early versions of the Game, test phases and the associated services will occur at Microsoft’s discretion and the times will be published on the Ageofempires.com website. These testing phases include experimental and early prerelease software. This means that you may experience occasional crashes and data loss. Some Xbox Live features may not work correctly. Since this Game is prerelease code, we cannot provide customer service in the traditional sense. However, data and Feedback as you play and enjoy the Game will help us improve and enhance the final product.

Thank you for adding this inn, I suppose you saw the post i made. This will clear things out, such as confusions in the community!

@KeptLeopard10 said:
Just out of curiosity, why is it that we cannot discuss the game inside the forums? Shouldn’t this be the point of testing?

I think is just because people who is not part of the insider program can see our “News” if you know what I’m talking about. You can send your informations that you were collecting while you are testing the game I think.

@KeptLeopard10 said:

You are free to discuss the game within the closed forums or approved venues

you are not allowed to discuss it publicly such as in a blog, or stream or video clip

There will be special forums where closed testers can discuss things with other testers that have also signed the NDA. These will be invisible to those not in the closed beta.

I’m assuming that a copy of the NDA will be sent along with the invitation to participate in early version of AoE DE? Is there any requirement as to how much feedback or bug reporting is tolerated if invited to participate in the early versions?

It was good I read through that when I signed up, very glad to see a copy of it on the forums itself. Keeps any confusion from those who just went on a clickfest through it.

This way no-one can say they weren’t warned if they violate the NDA.

@MainKiller7 said:
It was good I read through that when I signed up, very glad to see a copy of it on the forums itself. Keeps any confusion from those who just went on a clickfest through it.

If they violate it they are going to need much more than a cheap excuse… It is Microsoft, you do not play with them.

@MisguidedMonk54 said:

@MainKiller7 said:

If they violate it they are going to need much more than a cheap excuse… It is Microsoft, you do not play with them.

Hah, I agree.

Just the only question I really do have, is if we are chosen to be in the Beta test and we experience a bug/glitch or something we feel we should send up, how will we go about that or will that all be detailed if/when we get an email to join?

@MainKiller7 said:

@MisguidedMonk54 said:

@MainKiller7 said:

Hah, I agree.

Just the only question I really do have, is if we are chosen to be in the Beta test and we experience a bug/glitch or something we feel we should send up, how will we go about that or will that all be detailed if/when we get an email to join?

Of course they are going to tell more to people they choose!

@MisguidedMonk54 said:

@MainKiller7 said:

@MisguidedMonk54 said:

@MainKiller7 said:

Hah, I agree.

That kind of states the obvious, that I already knew.

I was wondering if it was going to be a forum on the website, or built into the beta is all.

@MainKiller7 said:

@MisguidedMonk54 said:

@MainKiller7 said:

@MisguidedMonk54 said:

@MainKiller7 said:

Hah, I agree.

I was wondering if it was going to be a forum on the website, or built into the beta is all.

I know but we do not really know anything else…

Great :smiley: keep up the good work guys :#

@DiveDive3726 said:
I’m assuming that a copy of the NDA will be sent along with the invitation to participate in early version of AoE DE? Is there any requirement as to how much feedback or bug reporting is tolerated if invited to participate in the early versions?

Its pretty standard for you to electronically sign/agree to an NDA for this kind of thing. You’re not technically obligated to give feedback. But obviously the more eyes on a problem, the greater odds your eyes might see something others would miss.

Sometimes even just a single piece of feedback can be extremely valuable. Say for example there’s some weird bug with a specific range of video cards. Like in Black Op2 the Nvdia GTX400 series cards only had a bug where you’d sink into the sand and be unable to finish a level. If you’re the only person in the closed beta with that particular config, it wouldn’t be caught until wider distribution.

Thus quality of feedback can be much more important than quantity.

@MainKiller7 said:

@MisguidedMonk54 said:

@MainKiller7 said:

@MisguidedMonk54 said:

@MainKiller7 said:

Hah, I agree.

If you get into the beta…there are instructions as to how to report bugs and where.

how to download this beta version

I have been a windows ten insider before and this will be my second one I hope I can get the download link

Just a quick question, will we also be provided with cyanide pills in case we are taken hostage and asked questions about the textures/ui?

@WeirdCrab203 said:
how to download this beta version

You have to wait for the invite to see if you have been chosen. All instructions and rules are provided.

@Raw1812 said:
Just a quick question, will we also be provided with cyanide pills in case we are taken hostage and asked questions about the textures/ui?

You may not have noticed in the ultra fine print. But referring to Section 16(c).4

• You consent to your playtime being monitored in order to provide automated crash feedback and bug reports via our new automated Ninja Observation System

Then in Section 102(g).62

• You hereby agree that any violations of the NDA are punishable. Arbitration of violations will be handled via the Ninja Observation System. Under said violations the arbitration committee is authorized to terminate you via any means necessary.

The new Ninja Observation System works well as an automated bug reporting system, allows the devs to observe player behavior, and enforce the NDA. No cyanide pills required. Mop up crews not provided however.