Age of Empires IV - 4K Graphics Pack

I think its pretty clear we weren’t playing with 4k graphics in the beta. The download was rather small, and I wouldn’t expect them to be adding DLC content in a stress test.

Sure don’t overplay your expectations, but I think its kinda weird to think you were playing at the highest quality of anything during a beta.

The betas were like 20 GB?
And the full install is meant to be more than double that size.

4 Likes

in ms store is 93 gb , probably because they cant download the dlc so they have it pre-installed , that could be the reason on why in steam the game is about 50gb and in microsoft store is 93 gb

1 Like

mhm… well , we dont exactly know what this package haves . its a surprise it seems.

Just 4k textures. Mark my words.

1 Like

For me would make no sense to have a graphical upgrade package and not showing on the trailers, so I think Gonzalez is right.

Yes, but I doubt it’s because of textures. None of the campaigns (and their 4K videos) were on. They cut so much content out of the main game that it’s very conceivable that the size of the download was cut in half. Hence, I think the engine we saw is the engine we’ll get - but that’s just my guess. :slight_smile:

I don’t trust either number tbh. We’ll have to wait and see - 93 GB seems quite excessive for AoE4 though…

Engine not textures lol.
As I was saying before it’s really unlikely they slapped on an unreleased 4k texture dlc in our betas.

Hell a lot of us were capped and couldn’t even bump our setting higher

In this case this DLC Will be not Sense for all people Who are asking for Better textures.

The Beta did only have half the civilisations, 4 random maps and 0 campaign content besides the first tutorial mission.
So being less then half the size is reasonable.

If hey had a “4K” DLC it would be strange if they made all their marketing material without it.
I can’t think of a single game that suddenly looked a lot better on release. That just doesn’t happen.

I’m pretty sure this “4K” DLC is something we have already seen.

Also 4K could mean that the texture resolution is 4K which doesn’t directly have anything to do with 4K monitors.
But I think 4K textures would be a bit overkill. You won’t fill your entire screen with one object or zoom close enough to the terrain to ever notice.
And you could never fit those into the 50GB.

Well unless the 50GB are the game without 4K DLC.
Because 20GB for the Beta seems to be big if you consider that probably half of the Textures+Models and all of the videos were missing.

Also just a higher texture resolution doesn’t automatically make the game look better.
It’s not like they will be in a totally different style.

Wait…what?! Wow :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: (20 characters)

Yes, these 4k textures on Steam were uploaded 2 months ago, they were just hidden. And yet I am inclined that these are the same textures as they are now, just designed for 4k resolution. And the overall picture will not change.

So, in this Case we don’t need of DLC. It’s not the graphic DLC which many people amwere asking for.

Im inclined to believe its this.

My argument mostly stems around the idea that the 4k DLC wasn’t magically installed in the beta for some random reason.

Yeah, but for a lot of people it wasn’t the style or lighting they disliked. It was simply the fact that a lot of textures were low-res.
A lot of the other things people were complaining about were also just graphical glitches. (arrows, projectiles, people disappearing, etc.)
Which the devs placed in their “known bugs” category.

Im not sure what more you can expect from a 4k Texture DLC, it does what is says on the tin.
If your problem resides somewhere other than textures then this DLC doesn’t magically solve that.

https://steamdb.info/app/1466860/dlc/

In a word, we need to wait for the release of the game and we will find out everything. Or this add-on will appear on Steam before the release and according to the description we will understand something. In any case, it’s not long to wait :slight_smile:

Indeed we will know pretty shortly.

We will realistically never get a Graphics overhaul dlc, because it does not make sense from the developer/publisher perpective.

Devs are developing a game with a certain vision (not saying I am a huge fan of that vision) and the game has to stay cohesive and have some “way it’s meant to be played”. Graphics dlc would just split the community and make the game have basically 2 public faces, which would probably hurt sales in the long run. So either they do the graphics overhaul for all (very unlikely imo), or this is how AoE4 is gonna roll (almost certain imo).

1 Like

What do we mean by “graphics dlc” though?

If we are excluding textures (which is an aspect of graphics) then you want something like lighting and models to be revamped?

I wanted to remove the yellow armor and make it more realistic. It’s a joke, these are my wishes. And so probably nothing needs to be changed, in general everything looks good. Except that the terrain is more saturated in vegetation and there may be more detail in buildings. But these will be different textures .

Not DLC, it probably was included before and split off in its own DLC afterwards.
Rome Remastered did this, the community was complaining about the huge file size until the devs moved the 4k textures into a DLC.

It would be a nice surprise if these are new textures, but I wouldn’t count on it, it sets you up for disappointment.

I mean im just hoping I won’t get setting capped like in the beta.
I wasn’t even able to go higher than “medium” textures. (despite exceeding requirements)

Was anyone able to put their texture settings to 4k?
Otherwise I really doubt this theory.