Age of Empires IV - 4K Graphics Pack

Fingers crossed. I hope they add more detailed buildings as well.

1 Like

However, aoe2deā€™s 4k Graphics package does not split the community.So I just expect a 4k package to add unit texture detail.

Well except HDR nothing was greyed out for me so I played at max settings afaik.

Yeah it just felt very weird because my graphics experience was basically the same as everyone else.
I just couldnā€™t bump my settings higher to test if things got better.

All we can do is wait till launch and compare I suppose.

1 Like

i actually have the game on ultra ā€¦ but i didnt notice any difference from medium to ultra.

My guess is that the game on max looks like in the abbasid vs mongols match , it looked prety good if you asked me , now im gonna relax and try to lose the hype i had with this , because i dont want to be dissapointed.

And i have another theory , but this is just pure speculation , maybe The name of this dlc will be changed on release , its not the first time they change a name of a beta , for example the ā€œstress testā€ was called ā€œpublic betaā€ in steamBD , so maybe the ā€œ4k graphics packā€ is meant to be like in aoe2:DE, ā€œEnhancement packā€ . we will see.

Conclusion :

Dont get exited , it could be anything.

1 Like

Yeah sure, I expect a separate 4k package as well due to the size of the textures. What I meant previously was some kind of graphic style overhaul that would have a greater impact on the feel of the game.

Yeah it was a confusing ordeal honestly.
We had people capped at lower settings whilst people who could go higher didnā€™t see a notable difference.

Which makes it really hard for us to gauge how the game might look like at launch.
Ultimately this is the kind of weirdness that betas can have and we should just look forward to making a comparison.

1 Like

It wouldnā€™t surprise me if they were to split off the 4k documentary videos in its own DLC als well.

I think it would make lots of people very happy if there were indeed a ā€œ4Kā€ texture pack that would increase texture resolution beyond what we saw in the beta. Having it as a separate download makes sense too, since it a) saves storage and download time for those that donā€™t need it, and b) only people with the required system specs need to grab it, while the game is still perfectly playable for those that choose not to.
Fingers crossed that itā€™s actually a thing.

3 Likes

Itā€™s most likely going to be 4K ā€œdocumentaryā€ cinematics. Donā€™t overthink it.

Some settings were greyed out or disabled either due to the impending ā€œ4k textures packā€ or because the GPU didnā€™t meet some obscure requirements.

In my case, in both the closed beta and the stress test, I could set the textures to low or medium. There was nothing beyond that. No high or ultra. I played at 4k with everything else set to max.

Itā€™s either that the game considers my GPU as not having enough memory (RTX 2060) or that the remaining options will be enabled alongside the DLC.

In AoE II:DE there is a greyed out checkbox unless you download the 4k textures, so thereā€™s a precedent.

I really think this is just a 4k monitor + big VRAM service. And even if itā€™s meant to do at least something about the graphics criticsā€¦ from all the visual issues Iā€™ve had with the game, texture resolution is none of them.

I recall reporting that I couldnā€™t change my settings despite exceeding requirements and they logged it as a bug.

So im willing to say it was just beta pains.
Hopefully these bugs donā€™t persist into launch.

1 Like

I was able to. But it looked NOTHING like the recent French vs Chinese video I can say that much

1 Like

Iā€™m under the impression we were capped but some people were just able to change the setting (despite it doing nothing)

1 Like

The Steam version takes less disk space.
I assume thatā€™s the 4K DLC.

4 Likes