Age of Empires IV - Official Launch Trailer

I will admit, I did think it was a bit surprising to see a woman representing a Delhi Sultanate commander in the trailer. My understanding is that historical Indian cultures, both Hindu and Muslim, were heavily male-dominated and so wouldn’t have had many women in prominent positions in their militaries. Then again, maybe she’s based on a historical exception or is supposed to represent a player avatar?

Besides, they are fighting the English at sea in medieval times in this same trailer…

EDIT: What do you know, there actually were Indian warrior queens in the Middle Ages, including one (Razia) from the Delhi Sultante.

4 Likes

Okay… That was terrible.

Edit: Not because of the woman, but because the trailer tried to show us how this game has great counter mechanics… It felt silly, dumbed down and made no sense with all the different civs attacking. I saw it and thought only one thing: forgettable.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, gamer culture has a lot of dudebros with questionable social politics in it. And it seems to be worse in the strategy game fandom. Though thankfully this forum is not as terrible as some others.

1 Like

Oh, I was talking about the fact that she is getting attacked by the Mongols, the French, the English, and the Abassid lol

• “Trebuchets! What do we do, commander?”
  • “Trample with light cavalry”
  • “But commander, we have no trample mechanics and the trebuchets are unmanned!”
5 Likes

Age of Empires is all about making your own history. Honestly, when was the last time the English fought against Delhi Sultanate allied with the Mongols for water control?

There are not that many female AOE2 player as far as I know but commentaries like those in this thread are not going to help to change that…

With regards to the trailer, I must admit it looks like something those Mobile game company would make, though it’s kinda fine for what it does. I must admit I overall prefer the artstyle of the trailer than the actual gameplay artstyle 11

1 Like

Someone remake the trailer, only with janky gameplay footage of her orders being carried out, and sometimes going very wrong as well lol

2 Likes

Not the most inspired trailer I’ve seen, even tremendously generic I’d say. Not gonna lie, saw a few images first that looked gorgeous, then seeing the trailer is mostly frozen scenes was a bruh moment.

About the female commander, good for me. Remember, AoE IV’s slogan is “make history your story”, so it fits perfectly in this case.

2 Likes

I think this ad once again fundamentally highlights the difference in tone between the actual game and the announce trailer.

What I expected based on ads:

• Gritty, bloody, historical RTS with a focus on realistic graphics and deep immersion.

What was delivered:

• Happy, colorful, bright RTS with a focus on lower-end graphics and comedic moments.

Both are fine to deliver, I think it just points to a deep mismatch between the marketing campaign and the product.

6 Likes

Real nice trailer. :+1:

Let me try to edit the dialogue to include all limitations currently in the game:

• “The Mongols are here!”
  • “Call up the archers and have them teleport to the east wall… with crotch arrows”
  • “The French sent hand cannoneers!”
  • “Flank with lancers”
  • “We have no flanking bonuses”
  • “It’s the English fleet!”
  • “Deploy the fishing boats”
  • “WTF?”
  • “Trebuchets!"
  • “Trample with light cavalry”
  • “But commander, we have no trample mechanics and the trebuchets are unmanned!”
  • “Camels!”
  • “Camels? We attack. Send the war elephants to slowly move their trunks in front of them. That’ll scare them”

Commander and rest of the army defeated. English acquire new fishing fleet.

Triumphant music.

6 Likes

It’s a <2min launch trailer that needs to appeal to non-AoE fans. This trailer isn’t for us - it’s for the casual gamer who might think “Oh damn I can get a taste of commanding x, y, z.” It’s marketing for the masses.

2 Likes

I thought the trailer was fine, a little cheesy. Don’t really see what all the fuss is about.

1 Like

So were they going for historical game or fantasy-based game? Feels like you’re wanting a cake and eating it too. Also, what would be the main reason for adding a female commander instead of a male commander, if neither would make the appearance out of touch.

4 Likes

Yeah this was ■■■■. But that’s alright, I’m sure the game will blow up!

I guess that’s true.

I don’t get it. Relic, you are capable of making THIS trailer

Yet you gave us a mobile game trailer.

1 Like

I think they took inspiration from the Command and Conquer: Rivals - Trailer, an actual mobile game.

Cringe.

20 characters.

1 Like

There’s apparently a notably high number of female aoe 2 streamers compared to other RTS games.
But yes these comments are disheartening.

1 Like