Age of Empires IV Patch Coming Monday, November 15

Then I hope Microsoft keep older patch versions of the game publicly available for download for singleplayer only purposes. Maybe Steam has this function? Better than relying on users uploading old patches to internet.

1 Like

you need to fix at least water maps balance, is almost impossible to defeat french. check all water games, player go french

2 Likes

That’s nice and cool, but I hope there is also a bigger patch in the making. It is clear that the most glaring issues need to be adressed first.

But civ balance needs to be looked at as well. And soon. I bought a game in which 50% of the civs are rather unfinished (the ones that don’t have a campagin) and have most of the problems. For me most importantly the HRE is a civ that is riddled with bugs, weird or rather useless mechanics, barely any uniqueness, a terrible unique unit that is trash (Landsknecht, he needs a massive overhaul and historical accuracy as an elite soldier and not as a wimp), clunky and annoying prelates, the worst cav in the game which just beats me, no focus on plate (no techs), no Teutonic Order… This civ feels terrible and has no identity. I am not talking about that it can’t win games. It can. It has some early game power. But design wise and in regards of user friendliness it is in a terrible spot, although the HRE offers so much. It only has infantry going for them, has a wonky, slow, weak and not that powerful religious unit in the prelate whose inspiration mechanic is of barely any use for the military (inferior to Delhi and Rus, although the HRE is THE Religion civ. Supposedly) and also is economically annoying to use as soon as it goes beyond the second age. And other than that they are lacking cool and interesting techs and units. Everything else is baseline, boring, irrelevant or terrible. And there is just no lategame for them. Nothing other than mere baseline units while every other civ has at least something special.

The civ balance and design is not on point. Everything that is good and should be spread over several civs can be found with the French. They just have everything and on top of that a lot of free stuff and the Guild Hall. It’s a joke. The English also got a bit of the cake thanks to a good eco and production buildings as landmarks. The Rus have great synergies and units, they’d be S-tier were there not the French. And the Mongols are very versatile and thus quite powerful. The other civs, however, are not even in the same league as they offer barely any working mechanics and need to be played reactively. The game is unfinished and 50% of the civs deserve a lot more attention and care. Please fix the game with heart and passion and do not go ahead and just do band aid stuff. This game deserves more, it can be more. Right now it is not enough.

The identical tech trees that only differ by unique stuff are also something that needs to be looked at. Why are European knights not the heaviest, slowest, most expensive and also strongest and east Asian cav not faster, less expensive and also less powerful in comparison? I am not saying make east Asian or islamic cav just worse, but make them different. The heavily armored knight is a European thing which got outmaneuvered by for example the Mongols, but the Mongols actually have better knights than the English and the HRE. How does that make any sense? The civ differences sometimes feel more like illusions. I wish the unit stats were more fitting to the civ identities. In Asia there were more horses, so they can have cheaper and thus more numbered cav. Europeans needed to protect their horses, which is why they put armor on them equalling in better protection, but also more costs and less speed. It’s not like that this stuff could not be balanced. It can. And I wish it would be. Because all civs having the same unit structures and values feels lazy and not very immersive to me, although I really like that every unit has gotten its unique design (except for the HRE, they don’t have a coat of arms on their shields and their knights look just worse quality wise. Their wonder also looks terrible).

Please finish the game as it was released too early for whatever reasons. I get that there is timing and publisher pressure. Alright. But please finish the game and continue to support it as if it was not yet released. It’s not some random game. It’s Age of Empires. Thank you.

9 Likes

People, don’t expect balance changes for a month or two, maybe 2022. This is only a hotfix.

Right, balance changes aren’t something you make a few weeks after launch, maybe not even a couple months after launch. If you prematurely balance without gathering enough data you’ll inevitably break it in another way. It may be possible to have more frequent balance changes down the line, but definitely not right after launch. The French are a great example, they still seem to be quite overpowered, but I’ve started seeing them struggle in some good matchups with new tactics, if you just make knee-jerk balance changes, you’ll end up making another civ OP, at least with regard to the French

1 Like

Can we nerf the French Royal Knights or buff the Spearmen against them at least??? :scream:

5 Likes

French Water Map
Mongols Hybird Map
Those should be nerf

this game should add more hotkeys and focusing on how to make player control more comfortable

1 Like

And that is not the only bug with relics, I found another behavior that allow you to move the monk while using the wololo, and it seems that if the monk is still moving when the wololo ends, the monk is stuck and you can’t move it anymore, I wasn’t able to make it 100% replicable but that is another bug

1 Like

Multiplayer vs AI pause pls!!

4 Likes

One bug that makes me bonkers is when building multiple buildings the vills would just stop. Has happened even with the age up buildings. Overall great game!

1 Like

Suggest or be able to minimize the dynasty button in the chinese or change its location, the miss click hurts competitiveness. thank you!

7 Likes

LOL, you don’t have to wait to tell the CIV is OP when it appears more than 50% of the time in a tournament and almost every streamers including pros like viper said it IS OP.

1 Like

I agree with removing french villager speed bonus.
If they dont remove it completely they at least need to remove it in age 1 and age 2 so they cant aggro like crazy. But I would just remove it entirely…

Also its not even a fun or interesting bonus and its not thematic or historical.

A lot of people talk about royal knights nerf, but their stats are actually exactly the same than regular knights, they just have slight bonus attack after charge and healing upgrade. Which are strong but not broken, what makes them broken is that the french economy is boosted for free in age1 and 2 so you can have much more knights than you should…

5 Likes

why sarcasm? the game is good devs are responsive? it’s a fact? there is proof? go to bug report forums and see for yourself?

3 Likes

Don’t need any civs nerfed tbh just fix the bugs

1 Like

There isn’t even a ranked ladder yet and ppl already balance whining kekw. Jeez, let the meta settle first. RTS games are complicated. If you aren’t in the top 1% of players then spoiler alert you just suck at the game and you probably have 10,000 areas of your play to improve on before you can legitimately complain about balance. I know the pros are saying the french and mongols are a bit strong but at the avg player’s level it doesn’t matter because no one is executing anything correctly anyways.

3 Likes

Any praposed patch notes ???

1 Like

I assume the latter posts are from FR players :confused:

1 Like

Would be great if the patch fixes the bug that steam players can’t link their xbox live profile to age of empires IV. :smiley:

1 Like

Can players choose the colour they favour on Nov.15th?

1 Like