Age of Empires IV — Update 8324

Wow, those Delhi changes. 5x to 15x on techs. They nerfed a civ that couldn’t survive to Castle anyway. Hilarious.

I need some maths on the Horsemen change. Its a huge HP reduction for what seems to be a very small armor increase. On its face this doesnt appear to solve anything.

4 Likes

NO, I am waiting hoping someone else has a better idea than me :smiley:

RIP Delhi. No sanctity 'till Feudal? Civ feels over now…

6 Likes

I guess they gave the responsibility for the working patch on different platforms to a trainee…“woops I forgot to click a button”
they may be fix this tomorrow… -.- as today no one gonna fix this :smiley:

RIP MS-Store/Xbox-APP players.

1 Like

Noice:

• You can turn off 1-click Garrison, meaning your villagers will no longer automatically load into a hold when right-clicking and will instead need to be summoned to safety using the command card icon.
  • As well, when you ungarrison villagers, they’ll respond to rally points and immediately get back to work.
  • You can no longer cancel unbuilt Stone Wall intersections to refund for additional rocks
  • Rus civilization can no longer produce infinite Relics
  • Berry Bushes should no longer be stomped by buildings
  • Reduced armor of French Hulk from 6 to 2
  • Longbowman’s Setup Camp ability will now deactivate if the Longbowman enter combat
  • Palings and Camps can no longer be activated on top of Stone Walls

Not so nice:

Additionally, we wanted to call out a few known issues we know you’ve reported and are actively working to fix:

• Certain civilizations are able to collect infinite resources by deleting buildings
  • Certain buildings, when combined with an Imperial Age tech, refund too many additional resources
2 Likes

Good to see changes but the horseman nerf is weird since we have been discussing about buffing them here.

2 Likes

Same here…updates and maintenances arent Age’s finest dicipline…

• Scholar Research system has been adjusted to correlate with the civ’s viable opportunities to produce scholars; early technology research times have been reduced; later ones, increased:
    • Dark Age technologies’ research time multiplier reduced from 5x to 3x
    • Feudal Age technologies’ research time multiplier reduced from 5x to 3.5x
    • Castle Age technologies’ research times remain unchanged at 5x
    • Imperial Age technologies’ research time multiplier increased from 5x to 15x

Is this a typo? It looks like they’re REDUCING the multiplier given by scholars in dark age and INCREASING it in imperial. I’ve never played Delhi so maybe something I am not getting?

So when you don’t have knight or maa age 2, what can you do against maa? because horseman wasn’t a counter to them but “okeyish”, with -30 HP 50% of the civ roster don’t have any option againt maa.

4 Likes

Same problem here. I have a gigabit connection, I even went through the hassle of uninstalling and re-installing. Seems like they haven’t actually deployed the Microsoft Store version yet. Which intern screwed this up?

No this is correct, early tech will be easier to research since you will not have many scholars available. You will need more to research imp tech though.

They mean the multiplier of standard tech time without any scholars.

1 Like

Literally nothing. Any civ that doesnt get armored units in age 2 is toast.

The Mongols feel like an infantry civ now because of the horsemen nerf…
I really don’t think they play this game.
I think devs set some randoms to play rock, paper, and scissors to decide what to change xD

1 Like

Some of the bugfixes are really good, some of the balance changes are really bad.
Spears stronger vs cav paired with Horsemen -20% hp across the board is absolutely terrible, french hulks still shouldn’t be in feudal and why the hell were springalds untouched.

Spearmen autobracing against cavcharges is a designchoice that I personally fundamentally dislike.
There’s no room for missplay/doing a “bad engagement” anymore, since the game plays itself in this aspect now.

Edit:
Still waiting for prelate bug to be fixed.

3 Likes

Yes the combination of some of these changes just don’t make sense but I guess it will need some time to see how they play out.

The design intention should actually describe the intention of the changes in game like the relationship between the units. Not this:

“In Age of Empires IV , our goal is to provide high impact unit counters and ensure that most powerful and successful armies include a diverse mix of units. This encourages players to constantly scout one another’s towns to get updated information on the kinds of units their opponent(s) are creating and unleash devastating counters! Our balance updates center around ensuring the core unit roster as well as unique units and technologies are working properly to fit this vision.”

What does that look like and how can it be achieved in game?

1 Like

To me it sounds like they drove the balance even more away from low tier civs and towards meta MAA+Springald only stuff.

Some changes are welcome but this horseman change amounts to a net nerf. I strongly oppose this measure, the horseman needed an appreciable buff, not a net nerf.

Do they actually play this game, watch top level play? Or use some theory-based analytical tool? Unprofessional imo.

Delhi nerf is just unconscionable… big disappointment.

5 Likes

I agree the nerf was too much but recently horseman at high elo has been used as a counter to knights fairly succesfully. Not sure it was needed with the spearman change tho.

1 Like

Cause knights scaled terribly for the costs they had when you play backline protection/damage.

Horsemen did the same tanking/bodyblocking/siege hunting/backline killing job as knights for half the cost, while you can use the gold for better backline/siege.

Can we please elicit, why Steam released the newest patch while MS is not able to release it to MS-Store players too? It’s driving me nuts.

4 Likes