Age of Empires IV — Update 8324

So they just want players to play siege wars. Got it. Probably a deal breaker.

1 Like

Actually in French mirrors, some people were going straight horseman and winning cause they traded acceptably and were much cheaper and quicker to produce.

Because MS-Store is garbage and will probably let you download the entire game again lol.

In this case they didn’t really get nerfed, since they now have ranged armor.

This is why you buy games on Steam. It is just better!

Siege is in a terrible spot rn apart from the allrounder springald.
Even the devs themself complained about it in one of the first sentences, but there were no changes made to it…

MAA+ Springalds were super meta, and after horsemen nerf it just feels like they hope that crossbowmen kind of swing it around now?
If not, this patch is definitely just reinforcing the current meta.

I’m not really sure myself, but my impression was that springalds and french hulk in feudals needed to be absolutely stomped into the ground when it comes to certain performances and neither of those got adressed.

Hulks lost 4 ranged armor which is huge. Arrow ships will now do like 3x more damage to them than before.

Also mangos and bombards are quite good right now. Mango’s just have the issue of everyone spams springalds so if you lost the springald war they die super fast.

1 Like

Just consider that this update has been in the works since the game went gold. So them cramming balance changes into the game from observation made a week ago was unlikely.

You still need like 8-10 arrow ships to be dangerous to a hulk close to the dock.
Hulks are by design an arrowship counter, and you either bring it in line with normal ship timings or you destroy the one thing they are by design meant to do.
Pick your poison.

True! Being able to release it on another platform, but not on their own. xD
Disgusting.

1 Like

Well feudal french hulks were anti-arrowship counter because of 6 ranged armor. There were already games of Mongols spending only a bit more resources on boats and winning vs feudal french 1v1. I wouldn’t be surprised now if French hulks didn’t win equal resources to most/all arrowships now (especially if arrowships get tech upgrades)

I don’t understand the patch, and I hope it’s not the big balance patch I was waiting for this week

Not enough bugs fixed
Mongols are still OP
French are still too powerfull and even more with the bugs fixed, they get only one nerf on the hulk
HRE didn’t get buff
Delhi get nerfed when they were already in a bad spot

Most of all : No springald nerf BUT a nerf on the horsemen when they’re not really used because of their weakness

I’m kinda confused, you get a lot and a lot of ideas, comments from big players, big debates on forum… For me it’s not enough I was really waiting for more… like 2 or 3 times stuffs to read. Though, I understand you took a way and it’s not full setup for now

4 Likes

French had already kind of fallen out of meta on non-water maps, not to mention the knight counters got significant buffs so their UU is much less good, and the khan arrow not working on springalds is a big change for why they were so good before, not to mention they get much less resources from killing random houses now.

1 Like

They’re not falling out of meta on non-water maps, big players are just trying all the stuff they can before getting bored awaiting for new contents. Check big players, at least it’s already super easy to reach the “”“top 2%”"".

1 Like

Patch review from Viper:
Age Of Empires 4 Update Review - In Depth! - YouTube

3 Likes

Same for me, i can’t update my game. currently i am reainstalling te whole game.

They definitely were, tournament games French were much less popular and their winrate has dropped. People learned how to deal with Feudal aggresion which was the biggest reason they were so good at release (combined with being super straightforward to play)

I’m not knocking the contents of the video, but it is funny to see an “in depth” review two hours after the patch drops. That’s the headline game for you, though (plenty of content creators I like do it, it’s just how it works).

They’ve had 45 additional minutes. Starting to look like it isn’t just a “one platform is a little behind another” and an actual "somebody forgot to push the update to the Xbox Store version.

Well it’s a 45 minute review going over all of the changes. If that’s not considered in depth idk what is.

1 Like