AI is kinda too aggressive no matter difficulty - nerf would be good

While AI difficulty is not a problem seems like aggressiveness is pretty much the same across all difficulties. No matter which civ you play against they equaly are very aggressive and seem to gain resources quite quick while bulding army very early in the game, and im in situation where i need to gain as much resources and build as much stuff in order to reach that lvl of quantity that AI gets pretty quick no matter difficulty. Im already very familiar with upgrades as well i use all the features given in the game to make my empire stronger. Some nerfing regarding AI should be good, because it seems to be scripted. I highly doubt in this game you can gain so much and build so much in shorter ammount of time so at this point Ai is definitely cheating. What i noticed is that building villagers and units is quite slow, maybe upgrade option would be great for that too. Because of this problem i need to play 4v4 where i put difficulty of ally teammate at hard or hardest and enemies at intermediate for sake of making balance better. Also its been claimed that AI is built with machine learning, well i believe that, but there seems to alot of scripting going on as well behind curtain.

1 Like

I’ve never understood these complaints. You need to play the game, not Sim Empire. The AI is terrible at protecting their eco. Send some early units to harass their eco and you will prevent them from massing anything. A decent player can prevent a hardest AI from getting to castle forever.

6 Likes

Do you think the 60 year old joe gives a dammn about harrassing the eco of the ai opponent? Or the 1st time AoE noob that goes into easy AI game and gets rekt? Not everyone is a hyper competive zoomer, so atleast give people the option to have their boomy game without much action from the lower difficulty ai’s without being harrased since min 4. Some people just want to play without fighting in the first 20 mins and chill for a bit. It doesn’t hurt anyone who wants to play vs stronger AI/enemy players that such an option exists.

5 Likes

They can select no AI and go hunt deer. The boars put up a decent fight.

4 Likes

I feel like the agressiveness of the AI on hardest difficulty almost needs to go UP lol. Maybe a nerf on the easiest difficulty but plz not the hardest lol. You need to learn how to defend yourself against early aggression, its just part of the game. On the easiest difficulty all you need is a few spearmen and a few archers and a tower.

3 Likes

My experience is that the Easy AI is more of a challenge compared to the Hardest AI. If anything they need to adjust the different AI difficulties to better do what they are supposed to do with each difficulty.

Already replied to you from email but seems like it wasnt posted on forum for some reason. You dont need to call someone a noob or some â– â– â– â–  just because someone dislikes parts of the game. If you like to be so toxic then dont even reply to posts like mine and â– â– â– â–  off, ok? Im only here to discuss certain elements of game that might need a change considering its RTS game.

2 Likes

I didnt mention anything about AI’s defence, but their attacks seem to be pretty scripted, how is it possible to gain so much units while at same time upgrading to higher ages as fast? Its kinda annoying. Now i am a beginner to AE series but its not like i havent played simmilar games before, considering difficulties there needs to be some balance.

I have yet to try Hardest AI. But yeah even on easy, or intermediate AI attacks so early, and gains so much units and upgrades quite fast. It seems like difficulty is only matter of AI’s defence instead of their attacks. Like i said in one my replies here its kinda annoying. Difficulties need to be better made and with balance.

1 Like

M4YB32448 was defending you in response to Dustymuffin’s post lol so maybe relax a bit xD

1 Like

Well… for me it feels like the AI is not really different in easy or hardest. Just sends a few units in feudal but gets “stuck” as soon as you just attack their eco once before that.
It would be nice to have a proper scaling with the AI but in general the “aggression” is not really a threat imo.

1 Like

its also quite easy to make a few units to harrass while getting to fuedal quickly, you just need to practice, the ai isnt cheating or getting free resources to my knowledge, i can produce and age up as quickly as the ai and im still pretty awful at the game. Just keep practicing and learning how to respond to different situations and youll get the hang of it! :slight_smile: Eventually the ai will seem to easy.

If theres anything I can help with, maybe answer any questions or give some tips since youre new to AOE, feel free to pm me either here or my discord if you have it which is Moridin#7587

2 Likes

Its definitely not cheating on Easy. These folks need to go on line and look up some opening strategies and work from there. Hardest is nearly too easy to manage for anyone with a clue.

2 Likes

I can see why early aggression is difficult for new players regardless of the size, and obviously there are people who want to sim city for the first 20 minutes. I certainly don’t think the AI is cheating at all, its just much more efficient than you currently. It would be easy to check this in a replay.

I think AoE2 had a good balance for this, which was that AI lower than the “moderate” skill level wouldnt really attack. They would build an army for defense, the size of which depended on difficulty, but would essentially just defend.

1 Like

The AI is not predictable. Easy AI is sending few troops constantly in early game, but the moderate AI doesn’t.

I can beat easy AI at any time, but i can only beat moderate AI with ram rush in feudal. If it booms to imperial the game becomes stalemate and quite boring.

Unlike AOE2, you don’t run out of resources and game doesn’t end.

btw I agree the OP, the easy AI is a bit too harsh to beginners.

3 Likes

AI is kinda hard. Give them resources and it’s GG especially the Hardest AI.

I kinda hold against Hardest AI when I starve them. And I am successful to most Hardest AI civ. Only against Delhi Sultanate where I cant contain them especially on Maps like Nagari where there’s always 2 warfronts. Delhi could bring Elephants too early. With a good economy, I cant hold them when I am English. It’s expensive to bring defense against Delhi’s siege.

I am still into it. It keeps me entertained. ROFL.

1 Like

I would say get better!

The AI is too easy, you are being owned by an AI is your problem.

Play the art of War at least get the gold medasl.

1 Like

A.i needs to be improved not nerfed. Teams comp stomp games are much easier than age2 DE a.i.

1 Like

dude you clearly don’t know how to play the game, i just tryed a game vs the easy A.I. and i reached the imperial age before he reached the feudal age.

play the tutorial, they are really well done, and they are a great starting point for the game.

but the A.I. don’t need a nerf (actually it needs a buff)

1 Like

All these people responding with basically “git gud noob”, in more or less words, need to learn that different people learn games at a different rate than others. There are some that have never played an RTS and the learning curve for learning an RTS with no prior experience with the genre is quite steep compared to other games. These are the players that the Easy A.I. is meant for.

The AI definitely needs work for the Hard and Hardest difficulties, but the Easy A.I. should absolutely be tuned towards new RTS players (not just new AoE players). There is such a world where the Easy A.I. can be nerfed, while the more difficult AIs can be buffed. That is a solution that exists. But, honestly, all these folks coming in trashing on someone because they think the Easy AI is too difficult…if you are so concerned about the difficulty level of the EASIEST AI, maybe you yourself need to “git gud”, because if your skills are so superb that the Easy AI is too much of a pushover, then clearly that AI mode is not meant for you. Play online or against harder difficulties (once they actually tune those difficulties to be more of a challenge) and stop dogging on players that aren’t as “good” as you.

6 Likes