AI is kinda too aggressive no matter difficulty - nerf would be good

I’m pretty sure the problem is that the AI has very little quality control. For different people, at different times, it could range between doing nothing at all, and getting a really fast army to crush the player. It doesn’t even seem to be connected to difficulty or anything, its kind of just random.

AI just needs to be tweaked to be more adaptive (with another difficulty added above ‘Hardest’).

I can appreciate that if you’re new to the series or genre that easier difficulties seem to ‘rush’ in every situation - but the hardest difficulty is too easy to trip up and trap if you know what you’re doing. Also need better intuition based on maps - e.g., Boulder Bay, AI ignores naval attacks consistently, and some maps that provide advantages that lead to early defensibility are not maximized.

I came here to advocate for harder CPU difficulty so take it for what it’s worth.

They shouldn’t be playing against intermediate AI.

Instead, they must focus on playing against easy until they can defeat it without any struggle.

Otherwise, we would need a skirmish that is completely for players who are worse than most beginner-level players.

I don’t think it matters really, because the AI seems to be able to randomly play at any skill level, regardless of difficulty setting. If it became more stable, then I would agree with you.

He did mention that he struggled against the easy ai as they attacked to early.

In the end, it is not a sim city game.
If he wants to build buildings without any military unit, then of course he will lose.
The thing is that it is scripted, the Ai’s attack early in the game for 100%.
Just remember that and prepare for it.

he must be getting better and better since he is a human being with a brain. If not, he clearly needs to see a doctor.

Because failing to the same things, again and again, is not a healthy sign!

That’s the issue though, the easy ai shouldn’t be much of a challenge for an RTS noob and Relic has already said they are going to nerf the easy ai

1 Like

AI being aggressive is a good thing, it helps prepare you for PvP rushes. AI’s early aggression is also much weaker than PvP rushes, it’s very easy to defend, just wooden walls with 3~4 towers is already enough to hold out 3 hardest AIs harrasing you 1, not to mention stone walls.

I’m merely a ~1100 elo player yet I already find the hardest AI too easy to beat and not challenging enough. I was looking forward to a supposedly “machine learning AI” like AlphaStar that can beat top level players. The current AI is far from it, I highly doubt it cheats, you can check the replay and see its resources and build orders.

Besides, even if you want to play in a castle simulator style, these aggressions actually helps give you a reason to build castle by providing a dangerous outside environment, so that you can feel safe behind your walls. Otherwise you wouldn’t have a sense of pride and accomplishment when finishing a castle, since there is no use for it.

You might need to re-read the stuff that i wrote, because i said that they have to tune down the behaviour of the lower AI’s to allow a more relaxed early game. Noob = beginner, don’t you agree that someone who never played any RTS/AoE game will struggle the 1st game that they queue up against AI most likely, so therefore it would be a good idea to allow them to discover how the game works without having to deal with early harassment?

3 Likes

At no point did he ever say or allude that he was playing it as a city builder or that he was not producing military units. You are extrapolating that assumption from nothing. It might be difficult for you to comprehend, but not everyone is a good as you seem to allude to being. There are some players that are brand new to the game that are going to struggle with even the basic fundamentals of an RTS. But, really, why do you care about the difficulty of the easiest AI or even the Intermediate AI, if you have already surpassed those difficulties in skill? Do you actively play against them? Does allowing the easy AI to be more forgiving and passive affect you or your gameplay in any legitimate and meaningful way? Furthermore, who are you to say and dictate how someone should or should not play the game? If someone WANTS to play it as a sim builder with military units against the easy AI, that is their choice to do so and they paid the same money for the game, as you did, to do just that.

2 Likes

I get your point, I just dont get how to make easy AI more easy without changing it to simcity. On easy it will attack with 3-5 Units, sending them into a Towncenter just to die. You would need to turn attacks off to make that more easy.

2 Likes

the easy ai is trying to teach you to make 5 units at 10 minutes. If you can’t learn even that after hours of playing try to learn to select your villagers and press g. They’ll run into your towncenter which will kill the ai’s army. I can teach you some strats if you really want to learn. It’s not that the ai is too ‘hard’ its that you need to get better. I beat 7 easy ai. 1v7 and they all on same team, it was easy. Like walk in the park. I beat 6 intermediate all on the same team. Also easy. Beat 2 ai on hardest a few times as well. You can watch my games if you wanna.

Heres a 1v6 on intermediate, you can watch it in my match history before the next patch. I’m not pro.

Those who are saying “git gud” aren’t helping at all, and yes i think the AI needs some tweaking.

1 Like

Sorry but that’s just what it comes down to. The a.i. in this game IS extremely easy. Not to be rude or call someone out but if easy a.i. can beat you with that first rush then it’s better to just learn a bit about the gameplay first, rather than asking for a.i. to be nerfed. The game even provides guides with the art of war challenges. Anyone can literally follow their instructions and when you can get silver on those challenges (which really shouldn’t be hard if you just listen to the instructiuons) and apply that to your skirmishes you should have no issue outplaying easy or intermediate a.i.

Thats the “Impossible” level AI, and its not in the game at the moment. They’re likely either training it with multiplayer replays at the moment, or its just not ready yet. If they aren’t training it now, I expect it to be pretty bad when it first releases.

While I myself don t have any trouble whatsoever playing 1vs7 the hardest AI the AI. I can understand, while people that are not as experienced or just want to relax and build a city for 30 min might find the AI too aggressive. I noticed this when doing Mysteries that even the easiest AI will make unit and attacks u real early. Just a few spears nothing that can actually kill u but annoying enough to have to deal with it which a lot of people probably find annoying. The AI itself in my opinion is horrible at unit management. It has 0 control of siege units it just runs them in without attacking, it breaks extremely easily early game to 1 single tower close to wood and gold, any walls will destroy the pathing of Ai, and the list goes on and one and one the AI is extremely easy to abuse in my opinion. In my opinion it’s fine when even the easiest AI attacks u sometimes early but not every game that must feel annoying for people that don’t care about the real time aspect of RTS

The AI is dumb and just mass villager to sustain a mass production of unit. the harder you sat the AI the better it will spam the counter to your unit. Don’t let it imp or it will wreck you with a complex army composition with a good amount of seige, a defense delaying your army long enough to take profit of their never ending flow of unit.
But do an early aggression backed up with a ram and sustain it and the AI simply give up their army production for no reason. In a nutshell rush it and beat it before late castle or give up

PS: the Ai cant even use their Vill efficently even a noob as myself can beat no sweat the hardest wih nerfed Delhi lul

Well if people really want some sort of sim city of this game they can just not add in an A.I. right? They can basebuild however long they want without being disturbed.

I personally think the AI is quite easy, and appreciate that it trains you rush at least a small army or counter to one.

However, I will agree with people who simply want an AI level that doesn’t do this, so that they can practice macro and experiment with different builds or mechanics.

Some kind of “no contest” AI wouldn’t hurt to be added. All the mysteries would still be unlocked with the current versions, but it adds an option for those city builders who simply want to do that and not get pooped on in a forum by people saying “git gud”.