AI too sensitive. They resign way too early. Please fix

While playing a 1v1 Skirmish match vs. AI tonight, I opened chat and chatted “104” by clicking 104 in the long list of commands. I then exited and went back to make sure it was on “Everyone” – and it was – and also clicked “AI Commands” and clicked “104” again just to make sure. (Since we still don’t know the exact trigger, and still don’t get a verbal affirmation from the AI, or a scripted note in chat, saying they won’t resign.)

Despite all that, the AI resigned with a lot of their stuff left.

In fact, the AI had just sent a massive army my way which I staved off moments earlier; so, it’s not like he was just lulling about for 30 minutes. (Not that that should matter, though. If I do “104” then 104 it should be.)

I’m on the latest build/patch… the starry night one

I mean, look at this… the AI is red. I never even got to attack his home town one time. Not once. Yet, he sent at least 8 or 10 waves of massive armies and boats my way.

Yes, the one time I was finally able to infiltrate and attack his town, he resigns.

I had just created a bunch of units, just upgraded a bunch of Barracks techs, and just made a forward base… all for nothing. He got scared and quit. He was getting cornered and just couldn’t take it anymore.

This game is meant to entertain us, the players… not the AI. If we say “don’t resign,” then they shouldn’t resign, imo, no matter how upset, sad, defeated, or hopeless they feel.

1. No AI team
  2. Pop cap: 400
  3. Difficulty Level: Moderate
  4. Skirmish/Random Map
  5. Standard starting/ending age

These are the only mods I had enabled:

I went back through my chat history, and you can see the two times I did “104”. The 1st time, I had scrolled down to “104” in this chat box and clicked it. The 2nd time, I enabled the “AI Commands” checkbox in this chat box and clicked “104” again. I was trying to cover all my bases:

Here is his resignation a while later:

Again, there are many ways to accommodate everyone’s playstyles and varied desires as to when an AI should resign when “104” is used. Even a sensitivity slider bar in preferences or in the lobby could be a solution. “How likely should AI be to resigning when faced with your power?” Something like this:
[ Never | When all bldgs are gone | When all units are gone | Random (surprise me) | If they’re sneezed on ]
I can think of many other ways to accommodate multiple preferences on this.

I still also think a confirmation should appear so we know the game/algorithm properly receives our request, so our 104s don’t fall into the ether like they do:

And if 105 is used, it should show confirmation which AI can resign again.

Taking it a step further, letting us target via chat certain players to let resign or not resign would be great, too. “104/105” would be global in nature (all AI Players), of course. And that would probably be used 90% of the time. But if we could specify a certain players, that’d be neat. Like:

• “104 @4” to target player 4
    • or “@4 104”, respectively
  • “104 @6” to target player 6
    • or “@6 104”, respectively
  • “104 @1345” (or “104 @1,3,4,5”) to target players 1, 3, 4 and 5
    • or “@1345 104” (or “@1,3,4,5 104”), respectively

This is much like this sling resources via chat idea proposed a while back:

As seen in tonight’s game, my AI was set to “AI (HD version)”. Does that mean they “don’t resign/prevent resignation” chat code in AoE2:DE for this is actually “100” like it was for HD version back in the day (and “101” lets them resign again)? Or should it be respecting “104/105”?

Sadly, after I get some of the rewards for this event, I’m probably leaving AoE2:DE for a long while again… unless and until this resignation stuff can get sorted out. I don’t like spending an hour or two building up my stuff, just to have the AI resign at the drop of a hat. It pulls the rug out from the enjoyment. I realize AoE has probably always been that way, to some extent (random resignations)… but free time doesn’t come as easily these days as it did in the past. If I invest time into AoE games nowadays, I want it to be worth it; not have an anti-climactic ending to all my hard work.

Thanks!

1 Like