An Open Letter to AoM Managers/Developers on How to Save Competitive Aom

I mean we already have weak godpowers in the current game and they all feel neither impactful (regarding early game ones of course! with the exception of cease-fire and maybe rain) nor most of the time satisfying. And some like Meteorstorm from Toth is like how godpowers should sound and feel like but are weak cause they are so totally random and the dmg mediocre for the most part.

I personally highly support stronger, more impactful godpowers which can be used more often. But of course with a big cool-down and costs using them. And some like meteorstorm should be a bit less randomised (or fill the area more effectively)

And I agree that the game should be more casual friendly and more atmospheric and entertaining than highly competitive. We all know that competitive games often increase the life span and support of a game nowadays BUT only if you get into certain genres and address it like it AND we all know that highly competitive games are often a nightmare for casuals and make the game unfun for the majority (thatā€™s why competitive games often need to make casuals ā€žaddictedā€œ with other strategies)

1 Like

I read the damn thing, and Iā€™m telling you I donā€™t agree, but youā€™re like a broken record at this point. I understand wanting to refer to your letter to avoid repeating the same thing, but youā€™re not even engaging with anything challenging your opinion.

Why are you even posting on a forum if you donā€™t want any discussions about your proposal?

1 Like

Starts with a disclaimer to pretend respect other players profiles and ideas, then come with s*** like this:

" Call AQ defenders out for what they really are: braindead mouse spammers, Atty Mains/origins, boomy-civ gatekeepers, 1-BO strategists, boring people, BoIt-worshipping new nice fanboys, happy mouse-clicking casuals .

Maybe AoM is just not the RTS for you. Be happy on SC2 or AOE2.

The whole anti-2TC point is laughable if you watch current / modern tournaments, even those played on EE. Many times 2 TC player is punished. As Zeus main I think itā€™s really not that hard to punish 2 TC with Athena. Even other gods like norse and atty can easily punish a 2 TC boom on majority of maps.

Please read the second paragraph of that section.

Please read Section FAQ ā€œArenā€™t maps just maps?ā€

Please read the first two paragraphs of Section Conclusion.

Please read Section FAQ ā€œHow many AoT platforms are there?ā€/ā€œIs the open letter outdated?ā€
Please read Section Conclusion regarding Morā€™s comment.
Please read Section Conclusion near Suppeā€™s comment.
Please read Section 1.0 regarding AQ.

100x100, 75%
Read more at:

https://meta-plays.com/forums/topic/4422-an-open-letter-to-aom-managersdevelopers-on-how-to-save-competitive-aom/

100x100, 25%
Read more at the link above.

Please read and answer messages.

7 Likes

Iā€™m glad none of the developers are taking the topic creatorā€™s ideas seriously much less even taking the time to finish the second sentence.

3 Likes

i read OP in days past and much of the post was, i think, moved to a linkā€¦;which Iā€™m not going to visit. Trying to label so many players as casual, and then trying to categorize all those players in the same way (essentially, as sloth-like, daydreaming, low apm, non-competitive, non-hotkey using, eating popcorn while playing, mobile game loving, low skill level, nonchalant type of players) was too much of a generalization for my tastes.

And as for symmetrical maps, Iā€™d say that is more of a trait of ranked players, at least in AoE2 land. As one pixel difference in the distance from your TC to sheep or gold pile compared to your enemy is met with uproar and fix demands :wink:

Please read Section History.

Please read Section FAQ ā€œArenā€™t maps just maps?ā€
Please read the third paragraph of the AQ topic in Section 1.
Please read the second paragraph of in Section Conclusion.

100x100, 75%
Read more at:

https://meta-plays.com/forums/topic/4422-an-open-letter-to-aom-managersdevelopers-on-how-to-save-competitive-aom/

1 Like

Thanks, but too much work. I donā€™t come to the forum to feel as though Iā€™m reading the lengthy fine print Terms & Conditions legalese of some product.

To my credit, I spent a couple minutes trying to look through your edit history and cross-referencing your latest post to look for the items you mentioned, but it was a nightmare. Plus, thereā€™s no guarantee the info youā€™re directing me to is even there. (Itā€™s probably just at the link you keep giving out that I keep not clicking.)

I appreciate you creating a more organized post than most users do, I do. But still wish it was all here. I think you can create collapsible sections here, by the way, if Iā€™m not mistaken. (Thatā€™s just for future reference, if it helps. I donā€™t expect or want you to bring everything to this thread. Perhaps at that link it is truly the size of a 50 page Terms & Conditions doc, in which case I now understand better why itā€™s at that link. We donā€™t know if itā€™s a trustworthy link, though, or if you capture everyoneā€™s IP address when clicked, or plant malware, etc.)

You found the info. You could have easily copy/pasted the relevant info here to respond to my question/statement directly, imo

2 Likes

Focus on eSports will make the game boringā€¦ It happens with all games, age IV being the worst.

1 Like

Please read Section FAQ ā€œWhy donā€™t you go back to AoE2 or SC2?ā€

Please read Section 1.0 regarding: AQ, symmetrical maps, 2TCā€™s, and ā€œentropyā€.

Read more at:

An Open Letter to AoM Managers/Developers on How to Save Competitive AoM

History (Minor additions or editing not included) 1.00 (1/13/23) Title - An Open Letter to AoM Managers and Developers Regarding 1v1 High-Ranked Competitive Aom 1.01 (1/14/23) Title - An Open Letter to AoM Managers/Developers on How to Saveā€¦

I think itā€™s important to remember that I believe people play AoM to escape from ā€œrealismā€ and get into mythology which we love and let us experience that with all the different mythical units & civilizations that we grew up and read about all those years.

Iā€™m not expecting or demand a perfect well balanced game here, I want to have fun and the fun factor goes away when you remove so much that makes AoM fun, the chaotic, mythological warfare with god powers and classic units such as the Greek hoplites, Viking berserkerā€™s or being a minotaur or a troll.

And I donā€™t understand why we all the time must make everything into AoE2 clone, Iā€™m sorry but I donā€™t want AoM to become a AoE2 wannabe, you have AoE2 DE which gets a lot of love and support, leave AoM DE to be itā€™s own DNA in this franchise.ĀØ

And Iā€™d love for them to add new mythologies over the years to make it even more fun because as authentic and fun it is to have the Greeks, Norse, Egyptians, Atlanteans & Chinese (I hope) into this game, itā€™d be epic to see other one being added such as the Aztects or Japanese eventually to make it refreshing.

2 Likes

just to let you know, this individual whines on all og aoe subforums, always for the same thing, and has proven impossible to reason with, i wouldnā€™t waste my time trying to persuade him to exit his bubble

2 Likes

Age of Empires IV is far better than you give credit for but we all know you love to hate on this game, even in the Age of Mythology forums you do that. Isnā€™t the Age of Empires IV forums enough for you?

its fine some people just want to watch the world burn, iā€™ll admit iā€™m leaving aoe4 as last in line in terms of how it launched, its above aoe1 at least these days, imo, but lets try to focus on AOM here, in my opinion people like NotIronMaidn are big factor in why we donā€™t have RTS like AOM anymore outside of remasters, these individuals ruin all of the creative or innovative ideas and trim whats left down so much its no longer connected to reality, to the point where even they canā€™t bring themselves to play it

2 Likes

I agree with you here and I pray & hope that AoM Retold does well enough for the developers to see opportunity and demand for them to eventually make a AoM 2 in the future.

But yes letā€™s stick to AoM Retold from now on.

1 Like

if AOM2 happens, i hope it does, then this:

better be taken into account, iā€™d like whichever developer works on this to keep the feedback like on this thread out of their game for the sake of fun in the game

1 Like

AoM will never be like AoE 2 because it has asymmetric civs/mythologiesā€¦has to be compared to AoE 3 (since both games use the same engine and AoE 3 draws a lot from AoM)ā€¦maybe Retold in turn be influenced by 3 DE and its dlcs for the new mythologies they bring into the game (Slavs influenced by the Russians, Olmecs/Aztecs influenced by their 3 counterparts, Yoruba influenced by the Hausa and so on)ā€¦and obviously also AoEO in the case of the Celts, Persians and Babyloniansā€¦

Yes, one day maybe we will have AoM 2ā€¦

1 Like

Please read Section FAQ 1 ā€œWhy donā€™t you go back to AoE2 or SC2?ā€

Please read Section 3.0 regarding ideal expectations of new ā€œcivilizationsā€ (tech-trees) vs the actual result.
Please read Section 3.1 regarding new ā€œcivilizationā€™sā€ (tech-trees) alternative.

Read more at:

I canā€™t believe youā€™re a human being. How can you believe yourself above everyone else? You are on a forum and yet, you are unable to argue with people.

Now please, tell me: Which section should I read?

5 Likes