Ancient Friends

They are Medieval because someone in Western Europe decided to define the Middle Ages as around 500 AD till 1500 AD.
We just kept this definition.
The Vikings would be a more equal match to Greeks then to late medieval Europeans.
Viking weapons and armour wasn’t better then Greek or Roman weapons and armour.
Vikings didn’t have plate armour, Vikings didn’t have high quality steel, Vikings didn’t know how to make advanced composite reflex bows etc.

And If we look at China for example there is nothing of major importance that happened around 500 AD. There is no reason to make a cutoff there.
In the Middle East and North Africa you have the rise of Islam in 600-700 AD that could be considered a starting point for the Middle Ages but the Persians in the game also already seem to be pre Islamic.

I’m not against any of those civilisations. I have never said that they should stop adding Medieval Civilisations.
But why not both? They are doing 2 DLCs per year. So why not one ancient one and one Medieval one?

Have you played AoE1DE? It’s awful. It’s technically so much worse then AoE2DE on so many levels. I get like half FPS in that game (still perfectly playable) and so many features are missing. No formations, awful path finding, no triggers in the Editor etc.
Also AoE2DE has the better gameplay independent of the setting. I’d love to have a more modern Ancient AoE that isn’t stuck in 90s game design (or 00s cartoon design like AoEO).

Ironically in the recent AoE3 poll Which civilizations do you like the most? (MEGAPOLL) it seems that Western European civs are pretty unpopular.

I’m personally all for more Asian, American and African civs.
AoE2DE only has 2 Sub-Saharan civilisations. (AoE3DE has a lot more if we count minor civilisations)
The Americas only have 3.

And the worst part is that every civilisation looks European. Every generic unit is European. Only American Monks and now since recently all the Trade Carts have regional skins.
You can’t tell me that it would be to hard to read the unit if the African Pikeman had dark skin.

But I’m getting Off-Topic.

2 Likes