Another Burgundian Eco bonus idea (rework/replacement)

Give them loom age earlier

2 Likes

All correct. So some mining improvements temporarily, and eventually resources saved (since a player will likely get at least gold mining at some point) with Double bit probably not worth skipping, and Horse collar being a fence item. In castle age, a definitive eco bonus appears.

I do not think it should be. It could be, but I think the bonus will be effective enough without that extra.

I see this as a civ that’s got a solid eco bonus if you know how to make the most of it, the potential to have some special, interesting build orders, and a civ that’s friendly to that one new guy who forgets his Eco bonuses. Nicov is his name, I think.

2 Likes

Could u guys compare Persian and Burgundian ecos on Cross or something hybrid like it? I think they are similar in many ways, check another topic about them:

burgundian is too slow

japan gets something like free gilnet and the fisboats are working several minutes sooner than the burgundian ones compared to burgundian paying 350 resources for it

That’s the problem with the current bonus though, and I think it shows how this could be a serious consideration for a change: Earlier techs means more expenses to pay. Yes, we could discount all those individual techs, per age, for the Burgundians. That’s a lot of coding and a lot of work, and then, how much? What percentage of a discount makes Heavy Plow worth it in Feudal without making Double bit axe broken in dark age? It’s a mess.

This bonus is simpler, works cleaner with the game engine as-is without muddying the water with special discounts, and could be done today by an amateur modder with 10 minutes in the Genie editor. I see it as a win-win.

1 Like

They’re slow at first but as u get the upgrades you rock. They’re wood eco is hot really and Persians have somewhat slow rolling too.

How are Persian slow on hybrid maps lol

On non hybrid maps sure. But on hybrid maps they are insane. And it’s okay for them to have a slower start considering their insane late game.

Burgundians donr have an insane late game.

1 Like

Making vills takes some time to pay-off.

Hc, cav and bombards is a strong composition imo

That is a strong composition, but it is very gold intensive. Also Burgundians don’t have bloodlines so the Paladins are weaker than most.

2 Likes

Actually, I think discounting the techs would be fairly simple in Genie editor, but free eco techs upon aging up would be simpler and better.

Just let them keep their -1 age bonus for eco upgrades but allow for them to actually go down that route with a discount of somewhere between 10 -20% to all eco upgrades. Chinese get a similar bonus but instead to all techs so not OP but it let’s Bugundians do what they’re designed to do have an efficient eco over opponents. It’s like how Vikings team bonus is discount on docks which allows them to maximise their warship discount. Currently you spent too much on those techs that it puts you behind your opponent too much and time to recover the investment from the benefits is too long relative to the games fast pace

another very good reason why we shouldn’t go down this road, chinese have a tech discount already, and this would just be a watered down variant so as to help with another bonus that isn’t functioning the way we want it.

True. The only thing that holds it toghether is cheaper paladin upgrade. 10 hp isn’t a big deal sinceyou save a ton of resources in stables and pals are just a meatshield for hc, skirms and bombard cannons.

I think the concept of the current bonus is good. But they’d have to remove the gunpowder bonus and replace it with cheaper eco tech upgrade costs to make it more viable/reliable to play.

This reminds me avout vietnamese. They had no eco bonus and were the worst civ until they received their eco techs wood discount.

Yes, eco bonuses make a civ better. I don’t want to mimic another bonus, especially just to make another bonus on the civ work right. I think if the bonus doesn’t work, maybe it’s not a good idea for a bonus and it should change.