Anyone still out there playing AOE 1 right right now?

Last time I played it was a little over half a year ago. I was going to play it again this summer, but nah - gotta give DE a chance to feel a little bit fresh, so I’ll wait

I dusted off AoE:RoR and installed it on both computers, then installed Upatch. Ran perfectly in Windows 10 though I had to do some pretty convoluted stuff to connect the computers in an Internet TCP/IP multiplayer game. I introduced my wife to the first game that turned me into an addict. She complained the whole time that there were no trebuchets and castles.

@rlagore said:
She complained the whole time that there were no trebuchets and castles.

Planning on wolloloing mine as well over to DE when it’s released, and I’m very much concerned I’ll run into the same problem. And lack of Vikings.

I Copied the files onto my computer, created an ISO and enabled legacy components in windows 10 and this allowed AOE to launch and run successfully. Hopefully this helps those trying to do it.

I no longer have a hard copy of the original game. Is there a website where I can buy the game digitally?

@ArkyBoY said:
I no longer have a hard copy of the original game. Is there a website where I can buy the game digitally?

Unfortunately no. :frowning:

@mobiledonut329 said:

@ArkyBoY said:

Unfortunately no. :frowning:

Ahh, sad times!

I still have the Rise of Rome and Gold Edition disks kicking around my house. My original game disk got stolen (was inside a laptop that got swiped), otherwise I’d still have that disk too! I keep all my old games even if I will never play them again.

How can one get the original Age of Empires with Rise of Rome expansion? Anyone know of a reputable place?

@chrisguy46 said:
How can one get the original Age of Empires with Rise of Rome expansion? Anyone know of a reputable place?

Right now your best bet is physical copies from online stores. Amazon may still have the gold edition, if not ebay should cover you.

I just picked up my gold version from my storage unit, it was in a box of old games. It still works :smiley:

@GepardenKalle said:

@chrisguy46 said:

Right now your best bet is physical copies from online stores. Amazon may still have the gold edition, if not ebay should cover you.

I saw something like that on amazon and ebay. AoE Gold Edition and other post related to AOE II with the previous one (can’t remember the name of it).

I own the game twice :smiley: I haven’t found my old CD so i bought a new one… later i found out that the old CD was still in my old PC

Amazon has copies, wish we had an eta on the Beta as not sure whether to reinstall or be patient :slight_smile:

I tried Gameranger but the servers kept crashing. :confused:

@WitlessBinkie said:
I tried Gameranger but the servers kept crashing. :confused:

Go on voobly, work much better

Only playing Upatch at the moment. Trying to finish my scenario campaigns before the Definite Edition is released.

I try to search on GameRanger, but all my old friends were gone and it seems to be all rm or “pros”. I find that doing Assyrian rms gets boring, I prefer team deathmatches and other silly stuff.

Recently got AoE 2 HD, so we’ll see how that goes ;p

I’ve never tried Voobly. Would be great to get those fun games again

As for getting a “digital” copy of the game, there is a site that still has original copies of AoE and RoR (and I believe the demos if you wanted those campaigns). You “still need the CD” however. And I cannot list it here obviously. You can get the Collector’s Edition fairly easily from Amazon it seems, and that way you get the CD and the CD-only soundtrack which doesn’t come with download versions. Or, just wait for Definitive Edition since it will come with the classic mode minus annoying crash bugs that happens in RoR

Funny thing… I started playing, again, AoE 2 months ago and i just found (3 days ago) that a Definitive Version was coming!

So excited!

I’m listening EoF sountrack right now. It’s so beautiful…