AoE 4 vs AoE mobile, lets compare them

But also 100x harder to balance

The readability is fine in AoE4

1 Like

That is false. AoE 3 made it very well done. Starcraft made it very well. I can keep mentioning games

thats your opinion, as I said I shared my opinion.

Its because of the readability my friend. You can see much better contrast and definition on objects and units. Take a look on that and make your own conclusions. (Notice it is basically same art design)

what a pile of misleading nonsense

either you are blind, lying or havent actually played the beta on a decent system

1 Like

Starcraft didn’t have 8 civs at the base game, did it? Starcraft didn’t take inspiration from history to design civs, did it? And AoE3 doesn’t have completely unique rosters and still, it has OP civs that are banned from tournaments

I know that is my opinion, I never said your opinion was wrong, did I?

2 Likes

Man there are plenty of examples, aoe 3, aom, you have, company of heroes and even more, there are plenty ways to balance completely asymetric factions

Not completely asymmetric and still has balance issues

Also not completely asymmetric, they have units with similar stats that perform similar tasks. Only thing that are extremely asymmetric in CoH are the vehicles. Even then, it has 2 base civs

About as good as asymmetry can get. That and AoEO. But then again, it only has 3 base civs

You just can’t have extreme asymmetry and have a bunch of civs, which a historical medieval game with 8 civs max after 2 expansions? That would be considered a flop

1 Like

That samurai comparison image is pure gold

3 Likes

Agreed. I think the graphics at the moment are perfectly fine imo. I’ll be honest, the models definitely need some texture polish, but other than that, everything is so readable, bright and clear. Brightness, clear colors and readability does not EQUAL mobile game. Why does everyone think this? Everything doesn’t have to be dark and dingy to be “realistic”. League of Legends in that sense then looks like a mobile game, but what does it favor? Most people with a PC can play it. It’s gotten so big because of how accessible it is.

The graphics here capture the immersion perfectly, and still keep it accessible requirements wise for everyone and that’s a win for me.

3 Likes

What I didn’t like about the unit graphics is, if a team is a blue colour then every dress/armour/jersey of that unit is almost completely blue. This makes unit readability hard and also make them look bland. For example Landtsketch (probably I typed it wrong) even his fringe is blue. Why don’t you make it red for example? So that they can easily be distinguished.

Let’s take Chinese tax collectors as an example. He is almost identical to the villagers. In Aoe2, it is almost impossible to confuse one unit with another even though they are smaller in scale in comparison to AoE 4.

3 Likes

Did OP really link a chinese mobile game as the standard for “good graphics” seriously?
90% of the time those game don’t even look like that and if you could actually zoom in you will see how horrendous they look.

AOE4 graphics are FINE. Its stylized and showcases exactly what it needs to.
Its low enough to look good on a low end PC versus even high end ones.

When playing an RTS game I don’t want my game to be invaded by useless shaders and clutter just because. If you want great realistic graphics for a medieval game then wait for Medieval 3 Total War.

1 Like

bad comparison

1 Like

That’s Rise of Empires not Return to Empire (Age of Empires Mobile).

Return to Empire is a China-only mobile game based on Microsoft’s Age of Empires.

It’s developed by TiMi Studio, the Tencent-owned company behind Call of Duty: Mobile and PokĂ©mon Unite.

1 Like

I know. The example was given for us not to give so much importance to these promotional advertisements, especially these mobiles.

A mobile game with better unit textures/graphics

It is pretty clear that age IV units look bad, washed out, people waiting so many years and in 2021 we get a downgrade in graphics/physics

4 Likes

Anyone who thinks those advertised mobile 3d models actually look like that in a game on mobile should get their brains checked hahaha

Except, that might actually be the case for Return to Empire. Their website literally contains 20 minutes behind the scene footage of the development process, including several blogs where they reconstructed buildings using the photos they took during oversea research.

Also, more gameplay screenshots

Perhaps a closeup of units details

2 Likes

Those are clearly marketing material.
Actually post real gameplay video with at least 1080 resolution and we can judge how great the graphics of that game are.

In aoe mobile:

• i like how units healt power is displayed visualy on the batlefield, whit the number of units in a same platoon, compare to age of empire 4, that is a hp bar.

• i hate when units die in random, in a platoon shared healt, i like more seing a unit be hurt/heavy-hurt/die, when a weapon clash on him, that is not a homing projectile, like in age of empire 4.

I can’t find their website, could you link It, please.