AoE II: DE Quality of Life Ideas

No one is making it personal. Only because your idea is lazy, doesn’t mean you are.

Good point. And remember, exploration is a part of the strategy, not just an annoying thing.

And yeah, I loved all of your OG ideas BTW. Really good ideas honestly.

1 Like

Not a bad idea honesty.

1 Like

Let’s keep this discussion on-topic and moving onto other quality of life ideas for AoE II: DE. It is fine if you don’t agree with any ideas proposed, just choose your words carefully and be respectful in your replies because this forum is for Age fans all over the world.

3 Likes

Thanks. The “idea” of auto-explore is not an idea… and it is certainly not “mine”. It’s a common feature to RTS games and could be a good addition to AOE II.

They could also add auto-combat, it’s not an idea and certainly not mine, it’s a common feature to MOBA games and could be a good addition to AOE II.

Same with others, like why would AoE be all about this exploration-building-economy-conquer quattro, it’s just too much, we could as well let the game deal with some of these for us. Surely this way people are not going to scream “dumbed down RTS” again like they did with Halo Wars and DoW3. Yeah, let’s learn from our mistakes.

2 Likes

You are capturing them when converting them, so this is used in a better way.

Disabling game features? Ahh, not the best idea imo.

How many units in the group. tbf, there is no “most powerful unit” in the game.

I mean, it’s customizable…

Villagers aren’t combat units, combat with them should be hard.
I agree with the stance option from buildings, I’d like to add formation to it.

1 Like

^ Also, it would be easy to aggro them with a scout passing by, they would all leave their work and follow the scout. Imagine that.

1 Like

Not if their default stance isn’t aggressive.

1 Like

Yes they aren’t combat units, but it doesn’t mean they can’t be used to combat.
If you watch pro players playing AoE2 you can see lots of them using villagers for combat, most usually when someone’s trying to deny resources by building a tower and the other player uses villagers to stop them from building a tower. It’s a lot more common than you think.
Also Supremacy is a thing.

lemme just point to my OG post

I would then rather implement an alt + right click on ground for that purpose instead of adding villager stances. They could even call that running and also add a little bit more speed. But after running the villager has to rest and will stand idle returning to their normal behavior. The trade off is that they will not respond to attacks while running. This could also be implemented for groups with units of course as shortcut for no attack stance.

I’d call that the villager stance, where they behave normally.
We already have a hold position stance.

Either u completely missed the point or idk what u’re replying to.
Also never seen any game use an alt + right click

I mean yeah, but the point i’m trying to make is to allow villagers to be agressive when you tell them to so you don’t need to super babysit them and tell them to individually atk other units, because not everyone has pro players level of micro to properly use villagers in combat.

I feel like this is why people struggle so badly to defend against tower rushes, the best way to defend agaisnt them is to both combat with vils + create ur own towers depending on the situation, but since casual players don’t know or even try to combat with villagers then they just easily lose to the one doing a tower rush.

Allowing them to be in agressive stance when defending would make it much easier to kill the enemy villagers and then the towers they’re building without having godlike micro skills.

I understand that. I’m combining some part of your request with another request on this forum regarding villager behavior while luring boars. Villagers will auto respond to being attacked or when using them on purpose to attack. I don’t see use for a stance that gets villagers just slaughtered while doing nothing back.

Yea I get that, I just commented on the name of the stance where villagers do what they normally do.

I still don’t agree with your proposal though, fighting with villagers should be hard.
I proposed another solution to the tower rush problem:
Remove building armor for foundations.
Then you can just rush towers under construction and win easily.
It also makes more sense for new players and would reward scouting.
But can’t find the topic any more.

1 Like

I couldn’t find where people talked abt boar luring in here, but abt the “do nothing” stance I can just quote to my OG post

so in reality they’d not lose any of their normal functions, the name’s “do nothing” because it’s one of the 4 default stances from age, the other ones being “agressive”, “defensive” and “hold position” (actually i think ur complaint would fit more towards the “hold position” one more than anything else, tho even if not moving they should tecnically fight back against melee units)

I just don’t think that keeping a feature just for pro players is a good thing, fighting with villagers is a must when you’re being rushed by certain stuff, keeping it hard just means new players won’t have any chance against it at all.
And altho I agree with the building foundation idea, I’m pretty sure this would still not be enough. When people tower rush they usually send a ton of villagers, and when u have lots of them building a tower it means there’'ll be little to no space left for villagers to get near the tower to attack it, which means you’d need to kill their villagers before being able to properly atk the tower (and that assuming they’d have no reaction, when in reality the TR player could react by either fighting back or quick walling to not let u take down his tower)

Also not allowing villagers to be agressive means Supremacy has little to no use

That is indeed normal behavior unless waypoint was set to resource. But at certain moments I did notice that my villagers while under attack did not defend but wander away and stand idle somewhere. E.g. this is the case when they are attacked by ranged units. But there are only two default stances at the moment aggressive and defensive which don’t count for villagers and you would like to have that part to be also applied to them. Correct?

1 Like

Well 3 tbh, I don’t think villagers have hold position tbh (what you have is the option to make them stop if they’re walking or doing something, but it doesn’t counts as a stance).

Tho now that I think abt it, giving them “hold position” could maybe be benefitial in some very specific scenarios, like for example you’re dropping a castle or tower near the enemy base and you don’t want your villager to run away when attacked, you can set them on hold position and they’ll just ignore all atks and will continue building the castle, or if villagers are collecting wood and the enemy sends a single archer to make them stop collecting wood and going idle, if on “hold position” they could just ignore the archer fire and collect wood, while you could just focus on getting a unit to kill the archer instead of also having to send them back to wood collecting.

As for the agressive and defensive stances they’d just act like any melee unit would (thus y they wouldn’t have agressive set by default, you’d only want to use those stances in very specific situations)