AOE III - randomly crashes - no error

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• **BUILD #: 11148
  • **PLATFORM: Microsoft Store

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:question: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). Limit to ONE issue per thread.

Here is the problem I’m experiencing…

The game crashes approximately 10 mins after start a multiplayer (LAN or online). the issue seems to have started couple weeks ago. I tried the game on 3 different computers exact same behavior. there is no error in Windows eventviewer at all.

when I play single user it hardly or never crashes.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:question: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST.

• 100% of the time that I play multi-player (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:question: List the DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. start AEOIII
  2. create a multi-player game
  3. play over LAN or through online
  4. after certain minutes the game exit to Windows - no errors

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:question: What was supposed to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?

the game would continue to end.

:arrow_forward: ACTUAL RESULT

:question: What actually happened (what went wrong) because of the issue you’re reporting?

the game crashes and exist.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES

:question: Include a OneDrive or Google Drive link to a SAVE GAME or REPLAY FILE (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue.

• I don’t save multi-player games. but I can try

:arrow_forward: IMAGE & ATTACHMENTS

:question: Attach a relevant PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif), VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube), DXDIAG FILE (.txt), or CRASH/GAME LOGS (.aoe2record, .txt) below.

3 Likes

since yesterday that I reported this issue, my single player games are also crashing. it is so annoying that I am thinking of canceling my Xbox subscription.

I am using 3 different computers all exact same experience.

1 Like

Yeah I can confirm this too, but for me I am playing with 2 friends multiplayer and around 20 minutes in 1 friend has issue that the game just exits without error (just like if he pressed ALT+F4). For 2 of us we don’t have that problem.

Also, it is 2020, why don’t we have the option to reconnect to the game but instead we have to create completely new game and start all over?! It’s really stupid and waste of time.

EDIT Age3Log: Age3Log.txt - Google Drive

Hello! If you are continuing to experience these crashes regularly, I’d recommend that you begin by working through the steps in this article:

If none of those help, please reach out to our support team directly for assistance!

https://support.ageofempires.com/hc/categories/360004101511-Age-of-Empires-III-Definitive-Edition

They will be able to provide troubleshooting steps to help you fix or diagnose the root of the problem, and hopefully get you back online and playing.

Thanks for the report, and good luck!

Hi

After more than 3 months of crashes across all versions of AOE and spending hours of troubleshooting and working with support, i can say that it is fixed today. I bought another hard drive to rebuild my machine and test (althought both of my computers are brand new!).

Any way it turned out to be an issue with Microsoft “game services”. This app was updated today and after 3 months I was able to play AOEIII one full game without crashing into windows. This was really frustrating for me and my son. Hope in the future MS incorporates more logging andonitoring in its products to make troubleshooting easier.

1 Like

Thank you for the additional information! I’ve escalated this information to our development and CS teams to see whether this is something we can improve for our Microsoft Store users. I appreciate you following-up with a solution!

Hi

just wanted to let you know that there was a “gaming service” update yesterday and the crashes are all back again. Can you please escalate this issue?

Revert the update ?
And then jsut dotn update it again :smiley:

for MS App store there is not revert - even restore point won’t restore apps from MS App Store.

and interesting that the issue only impacts Age of Empires series. my other games working fine.

The new patch released this week introduced new game crashes. Before it, I was one of the lucky people who never got a crash. after the patch it happened twice already. both times in a lategame multiplayer match.

saddy I didnt have a replay or log of the event, just wanted to point out that very likely, there is some new problem there.

My games started crashes (all versions of AOE) for multi player around Oct. Then a few weeks later expanded to single player. I had 100% replicable crash on 3 different computers two of them brand new. Up until early February. Then they all fixed by an update that gaming services. Again a week ago anew version of gaming services came out. Now it is only multi player. And they are 100% crash no exception. Every 20 mins or so even when not playing. MS say they need to contact the game developer which is MS in this case. I can’t find ANY log anywhere either. I am thinking of giving up my Xbox pass and switch to Stream.

Logs of Aoe3 are found in
"c/user/yourusername/games/age of empires 3 definitive Edition

To proof this a bug between Xbox gaming services and all versions of AOE i people rchased the game through Steam and it works without any issue. I don’t know what is the point of contacting ng support after 3 to let’s and 5 months of wait. Very unhappy and frustrated with such a useless waste of time going through telling the same story over and over without any proper response.

1 Like