AoE IV disappointment. .?

Medieval is boring not a real Empires like Rome, Macedonians, Persians or Babylon.

1 Like

You check unreal the units are with over scaled size weapons.

7 Likes

I mean like in all heart aoe2 DE is medieval and I seshed it pretty hard on release haha same as the og one but I feel ya…but it’s done cause I think it’s to late the powers that be…well be been.

Dam dude that screen shot makes me sad…it’s like when my buddy told me …“hey the new aoe4 trailer and gameplay just got released!” And my ears perked up! I’ve been waiting what feels like forever! I’m sure u can all imagine…but when I saw that trailer. …fak me…"sadness fills my heart with pain "…

1 Like

SpellForce 3 from 2017 looks way better.
And that was made by some completely new no name Studio.

1 Like

Medieval is boring not a real Empires like Rome, Macedonians, Persians or Babylon.

Medieval genre is the biggest historical entertainment genre out of all the historical ones. Nothing comes close to the fanbase of medieval times. World war might be second, napoleic eras are niche and majority do not like it. And considering AOE2 has the biggest fanbase out of all the AOE games, that is proven. Again, there are countless World war and napoleonic games out there. AOE is medieval at heart. If you dont like medieval, you are in the wrong forums.

You check unreal the units are with over scaled size weapons.

So you want an RTS to have realistic sizes in massive scale? You wont be able to tell the mounted units apart and what they hold.

SpellForce 3 from 2017 looks way better.

No, it does not. The RTS mechanics sucked major time in spellforce and it has darker graphics because it’s essentialy is not an army RTS, but more like a roleplaying game that you control 3-4 characters. The ‘army’ part was bad. Horrible AI and needless.

4 Likes

Indeed by SF3 you did see the “no name Studio” still needed to collect experience to make RTS games. Their new game SpellForce 3 Soul Harvest did fix quite a lot of gameplay shortcomings from the original, but there is still room to improve.

Anyway for Graphics look at other Strategy games these days.
Anno 1800

Total War: Rome 2

Ancestors Legacy

Honestly. AoE4 kind of looks outdated.

3 Likes

I dont know dude, all of the games you mentioned have extremely boring choreographic combats without the need to micro, have fancy ‘animated’ battles and Anno is not even a proper RTS, it’s a building simulator. Ancestors looks ok, total war looks boring tbh.

2 Likes

Well gameplay wise I do prefer AoE2 over those games,
but the point was here the graphics and art direction.

And its really odd why AoE4 look so, “underwhelming” .
I mean even the Company of Heroes 2 from 2013 same developer kind of looks better.
Not to mention there is upcoming Iron Harvest.

I do not say AoE4 trailer looked bad, but Technically its obvious possible to make it better.
Maybe they had to make “fast” a Video of AoE4, so they could in time present it, for that recent event?

3 Likes

“Everything in that trailer is real, everything we show will be in the final game. We have wall combat working. That falcon is real, that’s gameplay, it’s a scout unit,” said Isgreen. “But all that’s real, genuine gameplay and nothing we will show won’t be in the game. […] That is why we waited so long, and what we’ll continue doing with Age going forward.” Age of Empires' head talks the future of its new World's Edge studio, Age of Empires 4, and more | Windows Central

2 Likes

R.I.P. player feedback if anything shown doesn’t actually work for people of all play styles. :grimacing:

2 Likes

I have to assume they still reserve the right to make changes moving forward and that the spirit of the statement was that they are attempting to show us actual gameplay and not concepts.

2 Likes

I hope you’re right.

1 Like

He is. What we saw in the trailer is what we can do in game. Is not just a pre-build cinematic video with things that you won’t be able to do or special buildings (like we sometimes see in campaings). At least is what i got from Adam Isegreen. At the moment in its current state the game can be played like and with everything we saw in the video.
Of course, as any alpha or beta build, everything is subject to suffer changes if needed in the future.

1 Like

It’s pre-alpha version. Many improvements could be coming

3 Likes

I have a good feeling about AoE 4. I don’t know why but I do. I think AoE 4 will be a lot of fun. Despite what people say about the looks. The ui, story and mechanics can add so much more to the game. Let’s just hope it doesn’t feel flat. The ability to zoom far out would be very nice. I love how much screen real-estate AoE2 gives and how small the units are. Would make micromanaging a lot easier than living in a 3D ISO metric World( I dunno if there will be camera rotation?). Aoe Feels more manageable, but we have such little information to go by.

4 Likes

Any Empire comparing with Rome. Any…even some fake Romans there and there.

1 Like

I’m also disapointed. Too cartoony.

3 Likes

AoE is more for me than just the medieval age. It is a mix of many aspects: building base, gathering of resources, ages (of course!), many taunts (including wololo from AoE 1), towers, healing & converting, mixing unit types to counter the counter units…

Telling somebody to leave forum just because he does not agree with “the right” opinion is arrogant and egoistic. Just saying.

4 Likes

lets compare the AoE4 AAA trailer vs this not commercial fan project on unreal engine

The Battle for Middle-Earth: Reforged trailer vs AoE4

I do find it odd why AoE4 had so shiny, shimmering colours on default.

The Battle for Middle-Earth used them only for weapons and flames, so you have a huge contrast between background and the units. By AoE4 all is kind of shiny and shimmering. Its simply exhausting for eyes to look long at so “bright” colors.

2 Likes