AoE IV disappointment. .?

2 Likes

I personally prefer ancient and medieval civilizations over the modern ones.
As a person who liked 1 and 2 over 3, i think that they have made the right decision.

6 Likes

So guys who are comparing different RTS games with other games with other themed RTS games, please check this out:

And those who are saying that the graphics are cartoony, sorry to break it to you, but AOE 4 is in production phase, it will be hard and costly for them to go back. We are not even sure if this game will have a smooth path of development, let alone whether the game will be disappointed or everything we hoped fo, so it is better to sometimes suck up sad feelings, in this case, graphics are “cartoony,” and give Relic and other supporting studios chance and new ideas.

Criticising without even seeing the final product, heck even a proper beta product is I think bit harsh. Look, here is what I will say, STOP with cartoony vs not cartoony bullshit, the game is following the current trends, there is nothing wrong with that. What is wrong- AOE 4 adapting the modern gameplay trends and leaving behind the age roots.

Be optimistic sometimes. It makes end product good. Don’t become noise that will block good ideas. There are tons of threads containing new ideas here in Age IV section, but people are headed to sort of negative corners like this. Such a shame.

1 Like

I would say people have simply flashback of previous bad projects like AoE online. And I would not call “current trend” what they are doing, if its obviously inspired from over 20 year old Blizzard RTS like Starcraft and Warcraft2.

“modern gameplay trends” RTS do fail frequently.
That’s why leaving behind the age roots sounds for many people legitimately as a design failure.

4 Likes

My solution to AoE 4 is simple: don’t play it.
There’s no way they can compete with all the content in AoE 2: DE.
I prefer the continuous development of games like PoE and Factorio.
Endless improvements and content additions.

1 Like

So you signed up in a forum of exclusively AOE to tell us to not play AOE? After nearly 20 years?

1 Like

AoE2 is over 20 years old, why should it be a problem for a modern game to compete with it?

I think he has a legit point. Why should people get AoE4, if AoE2 will be the better one?

1 Like

I signed up for AoE 2: DE, AoE 4 forum topics are shown on the sidebar.
I didn’t check the forum subject before posting my reply.

Content > beauty.
Beauty is relevant for about 5 minutes, then content is king.
Graphics remain important in that you can see what’s going on.
And maybe it’s different for other people.
Just what I’m going to do, other people may find beauty more important.

3 Likes

So people are comparing AOE 4 to these, let’s compare them shall we?

Indeed, graphics is there for 5 mins, then all that “shiny and shimmering” (or not shiny and shimmering for those who think they play real games) goes away.

Don’t play civ, cartoony ness is one of the reason, the combat even bigger. Can’t get past the “wait for your turn and let the other guy murder you” thing.
Warcraft 3 has very deep colors, but yes it also has exaggeration, it never bothered me in that game.

1 Like

His point stands, but that is an answer to all games, when information is out. We have 0 information about AOE4, every little bit of drama at the moment is purely on speculation.

3 Likes

I feel disappointed as well, it looks like a cartoon, AOE4 epoch needed to be WW1.

3 Likes

There are plenty world war RTS games out there, AOE belongs in medieval

2 Likes

what are you talking about, have you ever heard of AOE1 and AOE3? it is supposed to follow a timeline of the empires, thats why it is called Age of Empires.

2 Likes

yeah AOE3 was horrible, AOE1 was too basic

1 Like

you are not a true AOE fan my friend, AOE can’t get stucked on medieval forever.

2 Likes

I also rooted for WW aoe game, but ended up saying ok because many people wanted that. Same with graphics. A lot of people (including me) like it.

Right buddy! I didn’t want a more detailed expansive version of stronghold 3 haha I wanted “the next age” for empires…I ww1