AoE1DE should become an AoE2DE Expansion

I said it should be a separate gamemode.
I just want the option to have crossplay even if it’s not balanced because not everyone is a pro gamer that needs perfect balance.

It would be a massive lost opportunity if all of AoE1 is added to AoE2DE but it is kept completely separate.

2 Likes

@DapperTrout1297 @Skadidesu

not sure if you guys seen this, this is the closest thing to porting AOE1 to AOE2 ROMAE AD BELLUM - (RAW:E) Rome at War Expansion Concept

We talked about that in a different thread already, you can’t remember.

I’ve seen that mod and it looks awesome.
But it’s something very different.

are the aoe1 civs missing or whats different? or different as in mechanics etc

iirc aoe2 engine builds off of aoe1 but with some obvious improvement so shouldnt be that much different

The mod doesn’t try to recreate anything from AoE1, the mod just uses some AoE1 sprites.
The mod starts in the Iron Age while AoE1 ends in Iron Age. The mod is only late Antiquity and it tries to make AoE2 like gameplay that includes still having castles for example.
It’s more like trying to fill the gap between AoE1 and AoE2.

1 Like

@Skadidesu you could consider implementing some of this on your own via a Mod. Happy to collaborate and share assets/knowledge too if it makes this more attainable. You have the outline and vision.

It’s not possible to add additional civilisations to AoE2DE, right?
Because unless that’s possible my idea can’t work.
Plus some other details like the Storage Pit can’t work.

I don’t believe so. Mods primarly replace or substitute existing civs and their strings/names and graphics. You can add new graphics but I often run into limitations as I need to repurpose a string, unit icon, or even menu realestate to build/train. Others may have had more success with adding strings. I know there is a method to add icons but have not done it myself. I don’t believe I have seen a way to add civs yet.

With that said, you can do a lot with mods even with those limitations, and they are fairly quick to enable disable. As you likely know, a DAT mod can be toggled on off in game. UI usually require a restart of game for full affect, but it’s not a huge quality of life issue.

With as many civs as there are now in the game, you do have a lot of canvas to work with. My challenge is asset creation at the moment. The DE graphics are crisp and building destruction animations are tedious to produce. Units are more manageable (can produce 1-2 a month from concept to production).

Oh there are even more limitations then I though.

The core idea of my proposal is to have all of AoE2DE and all of AoE1DE available at the same time in the same match. Not just being able to switch outside of the match.

So what I want is inherently impossible with mods.

It does not sound like a bad idea, but it would require too much work, leaving us without expansions for months; that’s why I prefer that they improve the 1 DE just …

Of course, the pathfinding of AoE 1 is disastrous, so instead I prefer to play AoE Online…

And I would add to it trading resources in the market…

Well that is impossible too, even with an expansion. Matches are up to 8 players. There are far more civs available to work with than 8. I think its a reasonable limitation that still affords the player a lot of options.

The alternative is to sit here waiting for someone to build something they never will. My mod is something I wanted the devs to make since 2003. Nearly 20 years later, after many titles, expansions, and DLC’s I am still waiting;)

You may get lucky and the Devs could see this along with content that others have asked for, and release some version of it… I am hoping they do. The DE releases were awesome to see come to fruition, including Medi Architecture, Roman buildings like Arch of Constantine, Amphitheater, Colosseum, and Legionary. However, again ALL that was created by Modders before the Devs took on the task.

1 Like

Now by the way, it’s not just units that would be converted and technologies too as well. For example, the Chemistry technology can most certainly become it’s AoE1 counterpart, Alchemy and the technologies, Redemption and Atonement can both be combined into one technology to become the Monotheism technology.

It doesn’t sound like a bad idea, they might even bring Bruce Shelley back…

And let them say it…

Yes, too much mess to balance a game…

if it does become an expansion I want them to be playable vs one another, not civ limited to aoe1 vs aoe1 and aoe2 vs aoe2

but then they’d have to think about tournaments so who knows how that’d work

1 Like

You are not an English native speaker, are you?
Because you would never ever ever call someone an “ancient friend” unless they literally came out of a time machine.

Have you read my posts.
There will be no matchmaking (ranked or unranked) of AoE1 vs AoE2.
Only AoE1 vs. AoE1 and AoE2 vs. AoE2.
Making AoE1 fight against AoE2 in a custom lobby is like enabling “All Technologies” mode or the handicap feature. It’s unbalanced and it is not intended to be balanced. It’s there for people that want to have it if they want the unbalance.

That question is also already answered.
Tournaments would only be AoE1 vs. AoE1 and AoE2 vs. AoE2.

No, but maybe it would help a little…