[AOE3 DE] [BUG] Online multiplayer games crash in 3v3 and up

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• BUILD #: 100.12.1529.0 (132601)
  • PLATFORM: Steam
  • Hardware: While this was experienced on different computers at the same time, I’m experiencing this on a Gigabyte Z490UD / Intel i5-10600K / 64GB RAM / Sapphire Radeon 5700XT Nitro+

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:question: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). Limit to ONE issue per thread.

When playing 3 (human) vs 3 (AI) online multiplayer games and up (4 human vs 4 AI), there is a high chance of experiencing a late game crash. Usually this crash occurs in the phase of the game where AI bases are under heavy attack. We’ve experienced this issue with al AI players still in game, as well as in games where multiple AI players have already been defeated. Note that we’re not sure if this bug is human vs AI specific, as we haven’t had the chance to play 3v3/4v4 human only.

Once the issue occurs, usually one or multiple players experience a frozen screen at the same time followed by a not responding window and subsequent crash to desktop. We’ve had occurrences with all players crashing at the same time as well as games where one human player was able to continue play after the rest had crashed.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:question: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST.

• 50% of the time / matches I play (FREQUENTLY) - 3v3 games.
  • 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS) - 4v4 games. Certainly over 75%.

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:question: List the DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Start online multiplayer lobby.
  2. 4 human players in team 1 - 4 AI players in team 2.
  3. Difficulty hard/hardest, game speed medium, land maps.
  4. Play match up until 40+ minute point and make sure all (human) players have reached population cap.
  5. Initiate attack against AI bases while bulk producing new armies out of 6+ stables/barracks (per player) at the same time.
  6. Experience game crash for multiple human players at the same time.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:question: What was supposed to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?
Gameplay continues, able to finish game once all AI players have been defeated.

:arrow_forward: ACTUAL RESULT

:question: What actually happened (what went wrong) because of the issue you’re reporting?
Games crashes mid-battle for multiple players.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES

:question: Include a OneDrive or Google Drive link to a SAVE GAME or REPLAY FILE (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue.

• No save game or log to attach. My current log was overwritten by a successful 2v2, but I’ll make sure to post a log file after the next crash.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE & ATTACHMENTS

:question: Attach a relevant PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif), VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube), DXDIAG FILE (.txt), or CRASH/GAME LOGS (.aoe2record, .txt) below.

• No save game or log to attach. My current log was overwritten by a successful 2v2, but I’ll make sure to post a log file after the next crash.
7 Likes

My game crashed playing 4 ppl FFA, 3v3 and 4v4. All multiplayer, no AI.

I wonder why would they release a game in such state.

I fuck1ng hate these companies man…

Another day, another 3v3 late game crash. This time I was able to look at the crash log for two computers. For both computers in the match, the Age3Log only displays startup information (PreGame), and nothing after that.

I was able to lookup the crashes in Event Viewer on both computers and found identical error reports for both devices: computer1-crash.txt (642 Bytes) computer2-crash.txt (644 Bytes)

Same here. Played two multiplayer matches, both were 3v3; One casual the other ranked. Both crashed after ~30-40 minutes with the following error:

The program AoE3DE.exe version 100.12.1529.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 36e4
Start Time: 01d6a8b1b7d453bf
Termination Time: 28
Application Path: \?\Volume{9af7e68b-cff8-39c7-5fb5-e8a8725eb4e4}\AoE3DE.exe
Report Id: fec89e34-ae55-4b9f-aabb-ec14939e50cc
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.MSGPBoston_100.12.1529.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: MSGPBoston
Hang type: Unknown

Edit:
I reinstalled the game and updated to the most recent version, played a match of 4v4 and it crashed after ~50 minutes:

The program AoE3DE.exe version 100.12.3552.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 4034
Start Time: 01d6a9241460eb83
Termination Time: 42
Application Path: \?\Volume{72a025c7-c41d-ddc4-8465-ef4dfc0a6507}\AoE3DE.exe
Report Id: 2876c70d-a64f-49ab-b044-11d03ec02eb0
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.MSGPBoston_100.12.3552.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: MSGPBoston
Hang type: Unknown

Similar issue while playing on Steam for the PC. Played 3 (Human) vs 3 (AI) on the Extreme difficulty. This happened 2 out of 2 times where it was an hour into the game, and lots of armies were being made and attacking. However, both times the games crashed were the second we defeated the first AI.

1 Like

Seconded. Within seconds after the first AI goes down, the game freezes for all human members.

Age 4-5, 1+ hours, 3Hum vs 3AI

Just played our first Hotfix 4087 game (today’s release) with 3 human vs 3 AI. Another late game crash. Event Viewer gives the same ‘hang’ message as before with reason unknown.

1 Like

The exact same thing is happening to me. 4v4 PvP or 4v4 PvAI, 8 players FFA, 3v3, etc. ONLINE ONLY! When it happens, there’s often 2-3 players crashing at the same time and the rest of the players do not suffer from the crash. Sometimes all players suffers from crash. Also when a crash happens, you cannot reconnect to the game wich is a huge bummer. In 2020, you expect to be able to reconnect to your game just like in LOL, CSGO, Valorant, etc. The multiplayer experience just doesn’t feel like there are dedicated servers at the moment. By that I mean the stability is not good. When I play in local, the game does not crash at all, so that’s why I think it’s coming from their side and also the fact that multiple players crash at the exact same time.

1 Like

Me too. Me and my friends play often online 3vs3 or 4vs4…and every time the game crashes and freezes in late game. then all pcs get the crash.

This post is still relevant for me and my friends. It’s extremely frustrating. I couldn’t finish a game 6 times in a row in 3v3 or 4v4.

I can add to the topic one bug in those configuration :

• Settlers stop to work automatically when fights because intense for hunt/wood/construction. (…in fact everything except Mills and Estates)

Could add weird IA behavior, like revolution in treaty for no real reason, tend to overproduce artillery (Kangxi with 30-40 infantry mortar oO), and regret that IA not that good in treaty 30+, even in expert.

1 Like

Did the last patch resolve the problem for you guys ?

In my concern : 2 games in 3v4 vs IA,with one very long (1h25), and no crash for anyone. Sounds good I guess :slight_smile:

False alert : just go the crash it in a 4v4 game…Damn it !

1 Like

Just updating that this is still happening in the exact same way. A 3v3 yesterday and a 4v4 today crashed in the late game after defeating 2 AI players. Running the latest steam build.

I hope support team are taking that seriously, because a large base player is playing this game on team games, espacially with friends against AI on treaty.
The more this problem stay there, the more players will be pissed, for a good reason.

The game reputation is severely damaged by those crashes, which is sad from my point of view. I really hope this game have the same love than AoE 2 DE with improved IA and polishness.
Hold on !

Just happened to me in 8 player game ~ 30 min mark. This is totally unacceptable.

This issue is currently being tracked. Thanks for the reports

got also the last few days alot of crashes, also mostly after 40 mins

Moi je vous écrits car le jeu bug en partie multijoueur

Problèmes :

le jeu plante totalement en se fermant sans message donc (une défaite compter en classé)

Le jeu lag tellement que cela en devient vraiment pénible et injouable

donc j’aimerai savoir comment on peut jouer sans que le jeu soit ■■■■■■ car la communauté est entrain de partir.

merci de nous tenir au courant et essayer de résoudre les bugs les plus important car changer des stats de civ je trouve particulièrement moins important que de résoudre les problèmes de crash dans les parties multijoueur.