AoE4 is less interesting than AoE2 because its units lack ‘coolness’ and ‘personality’

AoM retold hasnt been released yet. When it will happen, then AoM will be consider competence to AoE4

this will make it hard to just spam one type of unit and win

It is already nearly impossible to do that though

I think AoE 4 lack weathering effects, lighting effects, & small details compared to AoE 2 & AoE 3.

Here’s Royal Knight, Papal Lancer, Frankish Paladin comparison.

Here’s buildings comparison and its atmosphere

By the way, this is from the “Pre-Alpha footage”. I want this game, where is it?

13 Likes

rayos, cuando uno ve al lancero papal y luego al caballero real del aoe 4 si le preguntas a alguien ajeno a esto, señalara al lancero papal como de un juego secuela ya que, encerio parece un retroceso grafico.

3 Likes

Yeah this is one thing that AoE4 clearly does better than AoE2.

It’s better at encouraging diverse unit compositions.

Last I played AoE 4 the counter system seemed good enough so you can’t just spam one unit. At the time of that post a year ago everyone just spammed knights, and that was before they had improved spearman. Last time I played you can easily hold or defeat knights with an army of spear men and crossbows. Haven’t played for awhile but I think siege was nerfed so the game stopped being age of siege. Hopefully.

1 Like

Sí,AoE 3 DE sí parece un juego de 2020,en cambio AoE 4 parece un juego de 2011 como mucho…

7 Likes

Well, we are in luck, as they are making a DE version. But it will probably take another year at minimum.

1 Like

I wonder what the thought was when producing the game. Of course they considered making things more fun or cooler in that sense–they must have. A deliberate decision was made to make the UI, campaign and units as sterile as possible. Looking at past AOE games, I can’t imagine how that decision came about.

Did a higher up entirely misunderstand the franchise? I know COH3 is a dumpster fire right now, but they still have cool and fun units that motivate you to try them, they have an immersive UI featuring portraits and textures after complaints in the beta, they have even an actual hand made campaign that isn’t just a generated Taiga Summer/Winter map with a very generic voice over, reading straight off wikipedia. Relic clearly knows what is fun and interesting. That somehow did not translate into AOE4 and I just can’t imagine that it was out of ignorance.

And the worst of it all, is that it remains unchanged and more importantly, entirely unaddressed even well over a year after launch. Hell, I recall streamers talking about AOE4 at launch and saying how they would change many of these things, like the UI for instance. How well that aged. Well, I guess they did do something.

Here is that something and the divine ability to scale your minimap. That’s a years amount of work right there.

I’ve got a feeling that if we don’t get some insights this year on what they’re planning to do with AOE4 in the years to come, then we’ll probably be in the dark about what happened during the development of this game until a decade later after the games faded far into obscurity.

7 Likes

I love the game very much, but the minimalistic interface lacks soul and even though they have improved its data efficiency, it should change its look.

2 Likes

Is there any modder out there to change the UI for us?

The will to change the UI through mods is out there. I believe the issue lies with the fact that you are unable to do this through modding alone. There is also the fact that mods are disabled for multiplayer, all of them.

4 Likes

if i could’ve done it, i would’ve, the most that i know can be played around with for certain is the icons, but only with a tuning pack, and you can only enable 1 and only in custom games/skirmish

1 Like

if you have water map but you don’t want to go fishing, you are dead, fishing should be an option, not mandatory, this is a clear example of bad design.

1 Like

COH3 is suffering from greediness, the game released half backed and they only good patch, comes with an in game store selling a lot of skins, imagine how people will feel when they paid $60 for a early access game and then, instead of adding observer mode, replay system, or add more than 2 maps for 4v4, they introduce a in game store…lol but this is a SEGA thing probably, hopefully your guys never experience this on age IV, it just killed COH3 right away.

3 Likes

This is like saying gold is optional. Map control is key, on water maps, this includes water.

Play however you want, but if you queue up water maps, and then refuse to play with the water, that’s on you.

Maybe the map voting system needs to be better? If you play quick play or ranked? Custom games it’s obviously 100% your choice to pick a water map in the first place.

1 Like

Your example with gold is a horrible one!
Why?
Because food can be gathered from various affordable, varieties in the game.
Gold is always in places that are much more riskier and dangerous.
For example, trade, Relics, and gold ore.
Food can be gathered from farms near TC, and sheep too.
For gold, it is impossible to age up without gold ore in the early game, except if you aren’t Rus.

The same goes for food and water.

Balance can always be made better, but you can’t play on a water map and complain that water is necessary. Of course it is.

1 Like

I agree that taking water is generally going to be a dominant strategy on maps with water. Balance should still allow players room to vary their strategy, though imo that’s more about when and in what number to build a dock and its various ships. Though ceding water and pushing hard on land can also fit into that balance, too.

Changes are preferred to any extent a game’s balance essentially removes these strategies and funnels all victories into a single choice.

I have no idea where aoe4’s present build fits into this. Though homogeneous civ design regarding docks (every civ makes essentially the same ships) certainly would exacerbate any existing issues.

1 Like

They set up an in-game store?..The CoH saga died, rest in peace…

2 Likes