AOE4 lacks micro compared to AOE2

Look at the game and the tournaments!
Most AOE2 pro players are playing this game for tourneys as it is just an extra way to earn money through tournaments. They all say the game lacks micro (and more). Due to the lack of micro features and mechanics, the game turns into a boring game and tries to attract casual players more than competitive players. The game heavily focuses on macro and I love it, but the fact that micro is almost non-existent is such a huge issue when it comes to competitive plays. It is like a player won’t give his/her 100% at the competitive stage. If they won’t balance macro and micro, this game will lose players and specifically AOE2 players (well majority did already).

In simple words, this game demands more macro “Governor” skills rather than “Governor and General” abilities that deal with micro and macro. Due to this approach, the competitiveness of this game is not satisfying, complex, and attractive.

Governor-based games are less complex and too simple and cause players to get bored faster due to the same economic tasks and lack of microelements in the game. (This is AOE4)!

Governor and General games in competitive gameplay are more complex, offer lots of variety, last, and keep players hooked and satisfied for a longer period. (This is AOE2)!

This is why AOE4 needs to improve its Micro gameplay. Ask any AOE2 pro player and they will say AOE4 micro is so poor. I hope they add all the necessary micro features and mechanics to AOE4 to make it a more engaging, satisfying, and complex franchise again.

I believe Relic knows which features and mechanics they need to improve the AOE4 gameplay to make this one the next and the continuation AOE2 franchise.

Keep AOE as AOE! It is not Starcraft nor Warcraft!

1 Like

I disagree - as a player of both games I think aoe4 is much more micro intensive than aoe2 and is there is much more micro involved in positioning units in each individual small battle. (Think spear bracing ability, charging, etc)

It’s just a different kind of micro that Aoe2 players are used to, and being different is often misconceived as being non existent.

In fact, both Hera and TheViper have both said publically on stream they believe aoe 4 is more micro intensive than Aoe2.

16 Likes

I personally prefer battles where positioning has a greater impact and think the devs can go even further by adding things like flanking, formation buffs, or just useful formations (anyone use wedge formation?).

The splitting of archers to dodge a mangonel shot in AoE2 is not my idea of fun micro.

8 Likes

Some of what you said I was agreeing, then you said keep AOE as AOE, not as SC or WC… so are you saying AOE2 requires more micro than SC or WC…???

Show me the recent stream!
Because a week ago the Viper said AOE4 is nowhere near competitive and has poor micro compared to AOE2.

AOE2’s positioning is superior compared to AOE2 because of its major micro mechanics and features.

AOE is not a fantasy genre.
Where arrows are not hoaming etc.
Units demand skill and position rather than sheer number.

I feel that AoE 4 has similar micro to AoE 3. You position your army’s then use your siege to either target their soldiers or target their siege,

So you are saying AOE2 requires more army micro than SC2 and WC3? Alright I’m out rofl

1 Like

Personally I kinda like the arrows that don’t miss all the time. But I play AoE 3 so projectiles not missing is what I’m used too

1 Like

Kind of similar, but nowhere near AOE3.
AOE3 counter multiplier is very accurate and effective compared to AOE4.

This is a strelet unit stats.
Look how many various multipliers it has.
Some multipliers also indicate how ineffective. For example, a melee attack against Cavalry and Coyote Runners would deal only 75% damage.
This made sure that the unit would not work against units it is not intended against. And its range is also nerfed.
AOE4 lacks all of this. And all units use torches against buildings and sieges.

2 Likes

I feel like this is a troll thread?

1 Like

One simple example of hoaming arrows is when your fast units get out of range. The arrows etc tracks your units all the way or infinite range.

Another example is tower rushing is OP in AOE4 as villagers cannot cross and the outposts deal 100% damage giving total control where it is built.

In AOE2, towers were not as OP as AOE4, it would give a certain amount of control, but would struggle to kill units effectively. And that is a huge opportunity to comeback for the player who is tower rushed.

I know you want to keep your Tower rushing OP forever.

Definately a troll thread.

1 Like

You must be joking right?
Did you play AOE2? I believe not!

Yes, I did. For many many years

Definitely agree AoE 4 counter system is trash compared to AoE 3. Which has the best counter system of any age game

4 Likes

Evidentemente, este juego no tiene el micro que tenían otros juegos en el pasado. No puedes clic un solo lancero en un grupo de arqueros fácilmente durante las batallas sin pensamiento, sin embargo, el juego tiene el micro suficiente. Los debates sobre la calidad entre las opiniones de los Pros o entre ustedes mismos no tienen grandes resultados. La mayoría aprenderá a gustar por el cash, como hacemos todos cuando queremos algo.

1 Like

I don’t understand why people want more micro. I think AOE 4 is better the way it is in term of microing. I think more Quality of Life features should be added instead of making playing the game a chore. Such as toggle production, defensive building auto focusing on units without armor, horsemen not moving back and forth when asked to attack archers that are retreating.

Also AoE 4 is already very micro-intensive. Personally I cannot play this game for too long because of how much you have to focus on everything. On high elo it becomes very stressing and winning and losing comes down to a single mistake. Forgetting knights for a second and you end up losing all of them to spears. Archers moving forward carelessly and magonel destroying all of them. Left a single opening to the base now you have running knights. You have to focus on everything. I even forget making villagers in intense moments. I think its opposite, we need more QoL changes to AoE. Hotkeys have been added, we need more.

1 Like