AoE4 won't have ranked seasons at launch?edit

He’s not quoting anyone though. If you look at the article you can see this. Like I said it’s just his vague recollection of what they started talking about next. There are places where he does quote the interviewees, but that is not one of them.

Anyone who participated in the many threads in the beta forums should realize exactly what they are talking about.

So this is the podcast where Adam Isgreen answers a few fan questions talks about hotkeys starting 1:30:00

5 Likes

Well that’s pretty clear. Yes you can rebind hotkeys, but it’s probably not going to be to the state he wants it at launch, he does want us to be able to rebind everything and they’ll keep working on it.

3 Likes

Thanks for the link!

Mr. Isgreen:

“You will be able to rebind hotkeys. Is it as full as I want it to be at launch? It might not be, and we are gonna continue to work on it and develop it, because to me it’s super important that you could rebind everything, every input.
That is something I want in every game that I work on, and so we are going to continue to strive towards that with age 4.
So, even if it’s not there at launch , cause I have to look what the future sets to see what’s still on the table based on development, but we wanna get it there, just know that we will get it to that level”

Doesn’t answer the most important issue, that is mechanics. You can’t rebind if there is no bind.
But that’s NDA stuff.
Anyway, let’s hope for the best.
Peace.

Wow I just saw this. It is absolutely insane to me that they are okay with potentially launching the game without customizable hotkeys and losing players due to something as simple as this. Not to mention that months of forced, awful muscle memory of a horrible hotkey system will require “unlearning” and get back to normal.

This isn’t some bug patch or graphics pack that they’ll add later on. It’s the fundamental way players interact with an RTS and even thinking of launching the game without this ironed out makes no sense to me. This needs to be done and dusted day zero.

I love this game and the work they have done so far, but decisions like these are extremely puzzling.

4 Likes

I know, the developers and/or the decision makers of this game live in a universe where they think it is OK to launch an RTS without a basic function like fully custom hotkeys that takes little effort to program. Oh how wrong they will realise this is at launch.

And if you don’t think this is shocking enough, put the following into perspective:

The year is 1999, AoE2 which is developed by about 25 people out of which only about 15 programmers, who have worked for about 2 years at the game, is launched with fully custom hotkeys day 1! So I’m not talking about AoE2DE or HD, I’m talking about Age of Empires 2: The Age of Kings. Key combinations, extra mouse buttons, “go to building X”, go to last notification etc etc whatever you wanted to bind, it was all there, no restrictions.

The year is 2021, AoE4 which is developed by about 300 hundred people, who worked for more than 5 years at the game, is about to be launched WITHOUT fully custom hotkeys. The technology or knowledge for something as simple as this is not there anymore. We need a long roadmap for this, eventually it might make its way through once they figure out “more important stuff” first. This is how out of touch with the RTS genre these developers are. In an RTS with the name Age of Empires on it, which is priced at $60!
So yes, I find this totally unacceptable and will not spare any criticism towards it. Every pro player (and not only) I have watched trying the game was complaining about this.

3 Likes

Guys they will have MMR and matchmaking. Just the ranked season thing that’ll come a bit later. Personally i dont really care about that as loing as I can climb in MMR so I dont get the fuss

3 Likes

M$soft is M$soft is M$soft.
Did you expect anything else from them?