Argentina Civ Design cuz Might as Well

I actually been building up this civ since about exactly a year ago, but been coding it at a snail’s pace and don’t really have the capacity to afford art assets right now, so might as well share the design and gauge people’s opinions:

Features

• Starts with 5 Gauchos, 300 food, 200 wood, 100 coin.
  • Gauchos have a lower train limit than Settlers (85).
  • Choose Federal States to advance in Age and add new Home City Cards to the Deck, starting with fewer cards (21) than other civilizations.
  • Receive a Cow at your homecity drop off point for each military unit you killed last age on age up.
  • National Guard units: Infernal (Escolta Libertad), Blandengue (Fortinero).
  • Cavalry units spawn an infantry version of themselves upon defeat.

Technology Tree:

Mounted General: Similar to the Mexican or United States General, but mounted. Doesn’t leave a foot copy of it behind, but moves faster.

• Town Center
  • Trains Gaucho. Unique Argentine replacement for the Settler. Costs 120 food, but moves faster (6 rather than 4 movement). Has less hit points (100 rather than 150) but leaves behind a foot Gaucho with 50/100 hit points if killed, giving it potentially more survivability. All other stats the same as a regular settler.
  • Levy - Just same as the normal one.
  • Ransom General - Just the same as the normal one.
  • House
    Literally just a house

• Market
    Same as normal, same techs as Mexico/United States

• Mill
    Same techs as normal

• Estate
    Same techs as normal

• Estancia
    Combines Livestock Pen with the Stable. While still costing 200 Wood.
    Trains:

• Infernal: Statswise closer to the Uhlan or the Steppe Rider than the Hussar. They attack faster the less hit points they have. Leaves a foot version of itself with half-hitpoints when killed. Upgrades to Escolta Libertad on Industrial Age.
  • Blandengue: Tracks units it has dealt damage to, like the Mexican salteador. Otherwise works mostly like a regular dragoon, probably with less hit points but, of course, leaves a version of itself behind with half hit points when killed.
  • Sheep. Cuz, you know, it’s a Livestock Pen.
  • Barracks
    Trains
  • Patricio - Age II Light Infantry. armed with a Blunderbuss, has slightly less range than a skirmisher. on close range the Blunderbuss deals area damage.

• Pardo: Age II Halberdier. Basically holds itself better than a Pikeman even in late game, by having greater base damage and less reliance on multiplier, although being slower than Pikemen.

• Pata Blanca: Age III Musketeer. Fairly normal stats, not much more expensive than a normal Musketeer, but has the special ability that, when it dies, it boosts nearby unit attack for 3 seconds, up to 15%.

• Pulperia - Replaces the Saloon. Unlike the Saloon, you can pick whether it can trickle food, wood or coin, otherwise, trains outlaws and mercenaries like usual.
    Unique Outlaws
    -Maloquero: A variant of the Comanchero. They have outstanding siege and, of course, leave a foot version of themselves when killed.
    -Malevo: A variant of the Pirate. They have an ability to stun units within certain range with a lasso, otherwise being a melee unit that’s good against cavalry.
    -Matrero: Basically just a Pistolero with Evasion.

• Artillery Foundry:
    Trains

• Petard
  • Falconet
  • Culverin
  • Mortar
  • Horse Grenadier: Takes the place of the Horse Artillery. Fairly similar stats to the already available Horse Grenadier in DE, but leaves behind a foot version of itself if killed. (IV)

Arsenal
Same as always

Dock
Same as United States and Mexico

-Cabildo - Replaces the Capitol (or the State Capitol if you’re the US or the Mexican Cathedral.)

Techs

• Alsina’s Trench: Enables an attack for Estancias and allows them to gather fully fattened cattle (III)

• Provincial Constitutions: Buildings get +25% hit points, walls +100% hit points.

• League of the Free Peoples: Reduces the time for the next Federal State chosen to advance to the next Age by 50 seconds and increases the amount of cows obtained on age up.

• Cadets: The General gets +1,000 hit points; Ransom cost +50.

• Brigadier General: The General gets +1,000 hit points and +100% attack; Ransom cost +50; requires Cadets.

• Blockade

• Spies

• Welsh Immigration: Can support 100 population without Town Centers and Houses; Unit train time -10%. Provides one Foot Gaucho for each house built.

• Legendary Native Warriors

• Pampean Farmlands - Boosts food production

• Selva Misionera - Boosts wood production

• Tierra del Fuego Gold Rush - Boost coin production.

• Masonic Lodge - Replaces the Church. Same techs as normal.

18 Likes

Yeah real nice as always. Only concern is the number of cows that may get produced. What if it had a upper limit. Or why not cows just given at age up and more at higher ages?

Also really like the “I was killed, but I live again!” Mechanic

1 Like

Federal State Age ups:

Commerce Age

Mendoza - Ships - -
Cards:
Cruce de los Andes: Allows you to create a passage to move units from one point of the map to the other.
Guerra de Zapa: Allows Infernales to go stealthy.

San Juan - Ships - -
Cards:
Great Vineyards: Villagers generate coin while working at mills.
Popular Schools: The first tech you research each age at the Cabildo is free, enables the Cabildo in Age II.

Catamarca - Ships - -
Cards:
Minas de Incahuasi: Sends 2 Gold Mine Prospectors.
Noche de Siete Años: Outlaw population reduced by 1. Outlaws train faster for the next seven minutes.

Buenos Aires - Ships - -
Cards:
Aduana Seca: Sends a random crate for each other Federal State card sent this game.
Refundacion: Sends a Gaucho for each Gaucho lost this game.

Cuyo - Ships - -
Cards:
Corriente del Oeste - Gauchos train 20% faster, Estancias can receive Shipments.
Frontier Encomiendas - Each Estancia Spawns a Frontier Wagon.

Fortress Age

Cordoba . Ships - -
Cards:
Collegium Maximum: All Masonic Lodge techs cost half as much and research immediately.
Exposicion Industrial: Sends a Factory Wagon.

Salta Ships - -
Cards:
Neocolonial Architecture: Buildings have more build bounty, build faster, have more hit points.
Salta Ponchos: Gauchos and Infernales can evade attacks.

Santiago del Estero . Ships - -
Cards:
Madre de Ciudades: Sends a Covered Wagon. Town Center Build Limit + 2. Town Centers can call Militiamen again.
Patricios Santiagueños: Patricio have +2 Range, area damage increased in short attack.

San Luis . Ships - -
Cards:
Tratado de Guanacache: Sends a Blandengue for each shipment sent so far this game, including this one.
Gesta Sanmartiniana: Your General gains the ability to temporarily boost the rate of fire of all nearby cavalry units.

La Rioja . Ships - -
Cards:
Chaya Festival: Sends 1000 resources at random. Arrives fast!
Tigre de los Llanos: Hand Cavalry temporarily gains hit points after killing units.

Industrial Age - Ships - -
Cards:

La Pampa . - -
Cards:
Rastrillada Grande - Sends a Cow for each Cow killed so far this game. Cows can hold more food and fatten faster.
Paces Boroganas - Native units +20% build limit. Ships units from each native ally.

Misiones . - -
Cards:
Guarani Wars - Enables the training of Bocafuegos at native embassies, special native artillery unit that costs no population and no coin, but has low build limit.
Tratado del Cuadrilatero - Sends 2 Pata Blanca for each shipment sent so far, including this one.

Corrientes . - -
Cards:
Gauchito Gil: Gauchos regenerate, all gather rates slightly improved.
Astilleros Correntinos: Ships train +25% faster, +10% armor.

Jujuy . - -
Cards:
Exodo Jujeño: Your General and Horse Grenadiers can use the smoke bomb while mounted.
Guerra Calchaqui: Pardos and Pata Blancas gain a charged grenade attack.

Santa Fe . - -
Blandengues de Santa Fe: Blandengues Fire faster and earn more line of sight from units they shoot at.
Tratado de Benegas: Gauchos +1% gather rate form mills and plantations for each Federal State shipment, including this one.

Imperial Age

Santa Cruz - - -
Cards:
Patagonian Establishments: Each Estancia spawns a Homestead Wagon. Receive a Cow for each Estancia already built and built in the future.
Expedicion Py: All Ship powers reload 50% faster.

Rio Negro . - -
Cards:
La Trochita: Receives all revenue obtained from trade routes so far this game, threefold.
Pais de las Manzanas: obtain a food trickle based on your wood stockpile.

Neuquen . - -
Cards:
Mapuche Alliances: Allies you with the Mapuche and send a Native Embassy wagon, all mapuche units and techs enabled at Native Embassy.
Sign in Blood: Your General earns a power to immediately kill other hero units.

Chubut . - -
Cards:
Boer Immigration: Sends a Trek Wagon for each Immigrant card sent this game. Can send Immigrant cards again.
Military Zone: Enables the training of barracks and stable units in Mills and Estates.

Entre Rios . - -
Ejercito Grande: +20 Max Population Space. Each Patricio and Pata Blanca spawns a copy of itself.
Protocolo de Palermo: All Cabildo techs upgraded for free.

9 Likes

OP xD
20 characters o more

I have a question for you:

The provinces of Corrientes, Entre Ríos, Santa Fe, Córdoba, Buenos Aires, Mendoza, San Juan, La Rioja, San Luis, Santiago del Estero, Catamarca, Tucumán, Salta and Jujuy became autonomous from the year 1814 to 1836.

The provinces of El Chaco, La Pampa, Misiones, Neuquén, Río Negro, Chubut, Formosa, Santa Cruz, Tierra del Fuego, Antártida e Islas del Atlántico Sur became autonomous from the year 1951. Should the provinces that are autonomous from the 20th century be included considering that the game ends in the XIX century? What do you think about it?

There’s no way in hell I would have had enough States for the Age ups if I didn’t include the latter.

What do you think of including Bolivia, Paraguay and Uruguay as provinces in the IV Age along with the option of making the respective revolution? (Something similar to when with Mexico → Yucatán → Maya) Do you think ok or do you prefer to take another way?

you can’t “just” have Bolivia as a whole ■■■ province, lfmao. Bolivia is the size of like half of Argentina at the very least. Just pretending all the neighboring countries are part of Argentina is ridiculous.

1 Like

They shouldn’t be states, but Bolivia and Uruguay should be revolution options. United Provinces of the Río de la Plata included those countries as well as Argentina.

A Gran Colombia civ could have a similar option with all its successor countries.

1 Like

Yo había pensado en chile, pero este al no ser federal, lo pensé como un avance de edad de elección de estilo político: 2 políticos Conservadores 2 liberales y 1 jefe supremo del cual puedas ir avanzando de edad, y cada político te da 2 tecnologías únicas que puedes desarrollar

1 Like

Ok, I’ll be more specific: Much of what is now Bolivian territory (Tarija, Potosí, Cochabamba, etc.) was once Argentine territory or heavily involved with the founding movements of Argentina. The same goes for Paraguay and Uruguay. So for example you can choose Tarija as a province and then declare independence and become Bolivia, or you can choose the “Provincia Oriental” and then declare independence and become Uruguay, etc.

Provincias Unidas del Río de la Plata - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

Likewise, a system similar to that of the federal states can be used for Chile, Colombia and Peru. Chile was divided into provinces until 1974, when it began to be divided into regions and these in turn are subdivided into provinces. Colombia and Peru have historically been divided into departments. I don’t think there is a problem in using something similar to that of the federal states since the important thing is to use characteristics of each region.

En si en chile huno un proyecto en el siglo XIX de convertirlo en un pais federal, pero ese proyecto no prospero y murió sin siquiera haberlo intentado

Well, as an Argentine, I can say the following on the subject of states or provinces.
When Argentina became independent, it called itself “United Provinces of the Rio de la Plata” or simply United Provinces (like the United States or the United Kingdom). At that time, apart from the original provinces, other provinces were also included that later became part of other countries.

The provinces at that time were:
Province of Buenos Aires
Province Oriental (today Uruguay)
Province of Entre Rios
Province of Corrientes
Province of Santa Fe
Province of Cuyo (modern Mendoza, San Luis and San Juan)
Province of Misiones (includes eastern missions)
Province of Tucuman (modern Tucuman, Santiago del Estero and Catamarca)
Province of Cordoba
Province of Salta (modern Salta, Jujuy and Tarija)
Province of Charcas (today part of Bolivia)
Province of Cochabamba (today part of Bolivia)
Province of Potosi (today part of Bolivia)
Province of Santa Cruz (today part of Bolivia)

Clarification: There were many more territories, such as the Malvinas Islands (or Falklands), Paraguay, Atacama, the rest of Bolivia, including African territories, but they never entered the union from what I understand.

And I don’t think I’m forgetting anyone.

After many crises and wars, the United Provinces disappeared and the “Argentine Confederation” emerged, with the following states.

Province of Buenos Aires
Province of Entre Rios
Province of Corrientes
Province of Tucuman
Province of Salta
Province of Jujuy
Province of Santiago del Estero
Province of Catamarca
Province of Cordoba
Province of La Rioja
Province of San Juan
Province of San Luis
Province of Mendoza.

Clarification: Uruguay and Misiones were at constant war and there is a lot of debate about their status at that time (I do not want to give personal opinions to avoid conflicts) and the territories of Chaco and Patagonia were not under Argentine control, but under indigenous control.

Finally, Buenos Aires deserted the confederation, and after a couple of wars, it returned to the union, forming the Argentine Republic that we know today.

This settle as follows, I’m just going to clarify the original territories, annexed and organized until 1900 (which I think is the entire timeline of AoE3)

Buenos Aires (original)
Mendoza (original)
San Juan (original)
San Luis (original)
Entre Rios (original)
Corrientes (original)
Tucumán (original)
Jujuy (original)
Salta (original)
Santa Fe (original)
Cordoba (original)
La Rioja (original)
Santiago del Estero (original)
Catamarca (original)
Misiones (National territory)
Tierra del Fuego (National territory)
Santa Cruz (National territory)
Chubut (National territory)
Neuquen (National territory)
La Pampa (National territory)
Rio Negro (National territory)
Chaco (National territory)
Formosa (National territory)
Autonomous City of Buenos Aires (such as Mexico City or Washington DC)

Clarification, the national territories were NOT provinces, they had another status, but I think that in the game they could be considered as States for practical purposes. By the year 1900 all those territories had not yet become provinces.

7 Likes

I’m a tad bit iffy on having CABA as a different Age up option separated from just Buenos Aires. But this list looks really solid, will go with it and adjust accordingly.

2 Likes

I already have a plan for Chile. I’m gonna go with the 16 contemporary regions because I ran out of Fs to give. (With different names ofc, Valdivia rather than Los Rios, Chiloe rather than Los Lagos, Aysen instead of Carlos Ibañez del Campo cuz dude hadn’t even been born yet lmao.)

They’ll have less age up options in general but I think the civ still works as that.

Ya veo, suena interesante la verdad, el personaje histórico que representaría a chile seria diego portales?

Efectivamente, ya grabé los diálogos de líder y todo.

1 Like

Well, in fact, when Mexico and the USA choose their state to advance to the Imperial Age, their federal districts are age advance options. Also the choice of states was made based on how they were federalized or historical issues.
If one day Argentina becomes playable civ (which was crazy to think 1 year ago, but today is very possible), I think the states to select should be.

Commercial age: (independence progress) Buenos Aires, Cordoba, Salta, Cochabamba and Santa Cruz (Bolvian province).
Fortress age: (civil war between the interior league and the federal league) Tucuman, Catamarca, Banda Oriental, Entre Rios and Mendoza.
Industrial age: (Confederation) Santa Fe, La Rioja, Corrientes, Santiago del Estero and Jujuy.
Imperial Age: (National Organization) Chaco, Neuquen, CABA (federal district), Misiones and Chubut.

6 Likes